Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #46  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
No, I'm sitting on the computer typing a chair
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 AM   #47  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I've vandallised my chair. It's 'armless now!

I'm pooped after hardcore kickboxing! Loving the pain in my arms! Did ultra fast jabs last night, that and keeping my motorbike upright in howling crosswinds on the motorway have really done me in! Ah well! Early finish today! YAHOOO! Then bank holiday! YAY! I might actually get some chores done this weekend!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 AM   #48  

Hello LWL - things are going well, just not much to say. I know that is shocking for me. Maybe I should get that checked out?

Workouts are going well, food is clean and weight is not moving. I am now wearing size 2 jeans, so shape is still changing. I have been here before, and I know I am doing everything right, so, soon enough the scale will catch up. I am scheduled to walk/run 18 miles tomorrow (yikes), but since I bonked at 16 I may do anywhere from 14 - 18 depending how I feel. For newbies, I am training for a marathon in Dec, but the group I am training with has their marathon 5 weeks before mine, so I think this is where I start to vere off to my own schedule.

Got the dress from Norm Thompson, plus when shopping with my mom. Boy, she is good - she can walk into a store she has never been inside before and zero in on the one piece of clothing that will look dynamite on me. So, now I have choices. I still don't like shopping, but I do like looking good and having decsions to make. The 1st affair is just a few weeks away so I have some time still.

Have a great weekend - off to do back and tris. Tiki, so glad you are back
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #49  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashenka
I have to report that I started a new phase in my life - exercising in the morning. I tried it yesterday and I loved it - did cardio for 30 minutes and WANTED to do more. So did 40 min.
Sandy - what time are you going to bed? and what time are you getting up? I want to be able to exercise in the morning but I need my sleep!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Silver,

I also workout in the am. I try to be in bed by 11PM so I can be up at 6 while the crew is out of school. Once school is back in I push it back to 10PM so I can be up by 4:30AM.

I didn't get my workout in this AM. I had an emotionally distraught 11 year old on my hands last night and was up with her until 1AM. She told me through many MANY tears, that she had a lot on her mind so we waded through all of it to get her calmed down. One of her issues does actually concern me. Because she cheers and is in gymnastics, her legs are very muscular. Most of her jeans are too small because of the thighs. I keep trying to convince her that muscle is beautiful (I would kill for legs like hers) and that because of her genetics she builds muscle quickly. She only sees fat and is worried about the first day of school and being called fat.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #51  

Hi, Silver,

Well, another day with morning workout started! I am an early riser (the only one in my 5 people family) but still if I have no plans, I would just roll in bed. So right now I am waking up at 6:30 AM which is a bit late but OK for this week and next. When school starts I will have to move it to 6 AM, but my daughter can walk the dog instead of me like she did before, so I hope I will manage. I only do cardio during morning workout, like treadmill, but I hope that I will do some tapes probably too.

Result: doing morning cardio AND watching what I eat and I am about 4 pounds lighter - tell me it is water or such, but at my state of mind it does not matter - I feel great and scale cooperates - what else can I wish for? BTW, another thing about doing it in the morning, which I also thought is not true - is that you burst your metabolism for the day. I am not sure, probably it is coincidence, but I feel like I am not as hungry as usually, or it is just as everybody here says - change in routine simply does it

So it is big party tonight, tomorrow is rafting trip (my biceps already hurt just from thinking about it, I did it two years ago and it is quite a workout for arms!) and Sunday is our agility performance, which means lots of running! Have a nice weekend,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #52  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good afternoon LWL!

Day 5 of walking at lunch, and I finally am feeling that endorphin high, instead of being so tired afterward! Man, I'd forgotten how good this feeling can be.

But, I am sitting here all hot and sweaty at my desk at work, and that's not a good thing. Guess it's time to get my butt back in the gym before work, like I used to.

Food has been pretty good - still doing some boredom snacking that I need to get out of, but otherwise have been clean.

Hope you all have a great weekend - I'm off to "camp", which is my BF's cabin on a lake. Should be challenging - lots of goodies there for the niece and nephew that I will have to try to avoid.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Today was upper body. I actually got into lateral raises a little more. They're very difficult for me even with only 5 lbs. I think I finally have the feel of squeezing my triceps during kickbacks too. So I guess that's progress
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #54  

So sorry I haven't been able to post much this week.

It has been the week from **** at work, and here at my little house. Between now and Oct. 1, work will be at least 5 if not 6 days a week as I prepare for our Fall Boat Show. The battery on my car died, and then I had to go out and buy a new lawn mower because I put too much oil in the old one, and DH won't be here until next week to fix it. The grass can't wait. Then I got word that an Aunt in Chicago passed away, so I was bummed because although I haven't seen my extended family in Chicago for over 10 years, I felt like I lost a piece of my history. Oh yeah, and my boss talked me into starting a small business here at home from which he could benefit, of course, but it holds favor for me in the long run.

I see everyone is doing well this week. Bravo!

I've been eating clean, and chalked down another 2# but my cardio is slacking (time). I did do some lifting - we keep db's at work so when I get off my big can to destress, I'll go and lift. A Fitness Center is in the planning stage at the resort, but I can't see it being completed for at least a year. When the slip renters were polled for a preference, they voted for another restaurant!

Tikster! Good to see you! and glad you're still leading the cheer squad. That's gotta be so much fun, and exercise too! Cool beans! The boat is still afloat, but now that I live down here, I spend less time on it then I did last season. DH comes down once a month for 4 or 5 days and vacations. July & August are hotter than and traditionally not very good for sailing. We do spend social time with the sailing club, and have been going out on other's (bigger) boats. I work at a resort/marina, in yacht sales, so when I get home after work, I don't want to see a boat! mine or anyone else's Really though, I'm just too pooped at night to go sit on mine, and like I said, it's been really hot. But Fall is coming! Great sailing weather!

I've been getting in bed at 9, and try to be asleep by 10 to get up at 4:30 too so I can treadmill before work. It does give me more energy for the day, and I don't seem to get as hungry in between meals. What takes time in the AM too is fixing my breakfast which is usually eggs. I can't eat oatmeal, even with PP because it just puts me into major carb crave thereafter. I also do my Fitday plan in the AM, print it out and check off what I eat. When I'm done, I'm done. If I have to have something in the evening, it's green tea and more water.

Hey Cindy! Hope you have a great weekend at "camp." Details! We need details about the BF! I put my weight back on in the same places too, more my butt and belly because I went from leisurely working out housewife back to working-sitting all day behind a computer grunt. I tried to work out and eat clean on my own but couldn't stick to it because I had no real support. I knew in my heart that I had to come back to what works - my LWL buds. It took me about a week and a half of clean eats and intense exercise to gain back "that feeling" and the endorphins kicking in, and man oh man, - there is nothing that tastes as good as that feels. The lowest I got down to was 174 so I set my tracker to 170 for kicks and giggles. It will be fun forcing that tracker down. Oh yeah, back into a size 18. I can't get into any of the pants/capris I wore last summer. But I will be a 12 next season, I swear! Luckily, I only had to buy a few pairs of capris because we have to wear company issue shirts from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

I better close before I crash again - it's getting so annoying! I'll try to post from work tomorrow, or Sunday. Yes, I have to work this Sunday and probably every Sunday until October. It's the nature of the business - weekend boaters = weekend buyers!

HI TO ALL! and I hope you have a great weekend! Stay safe and healthy!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
Workouts are going well, food is clean and weight is not moving. I am now wearing size 2 jeans, so shape is still changing. I have been here before, and I know I am doing everything right, so, soon enough the scale will catch up.
HUGE typo, and I am sorry. I meant size "12" jeans, not size "2" - never even in my dreams.

I just finished reading "Apples and Pears" by Dr Marie Savard with Carol Svec. I highly recommend this book to every woman struggling with her weight or health - not only are women different from men, we are even different from each other. I now realize I am a pear who changed to an apple due to stress and anger and depression. I lost most of my weight following the diet she has suggested for "apples" and have naturally gravitated towards more of a "pear" eating plan as my body has changed. And here I thought it was due to the marathon training - who knew it was truly giving my body what it wants.

Oh, Tiki, I feel for you. I wish we could reach these young women andtell them the female shape is beautiful and shouldbe cherished and we are naturally designed to have hips and thighs. If I had known that at 11 I wonder where I would be now - TV and magazines certainly don't help. How do we reach our children? Look into a program called "Girls on the Run", helping 8 - 12 year olds run a 5K - maybe "we" could start something similar and include our "Teens Only" chicks - something like "the never fat chicklets". Hmmm - I am sensing I have a little passion (OK, anger, frustration) developing in this area.

Off for my 16 -18 miles this morning.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #56  
Mel

Ellen! I do admit to thinking you had made really astounding progress!

Quote:
If I had known that at 11 I wonder where I would be now - TV and magazines certainly don't help.

Isn't that the truth? I remember the years between 12 and 16 reading 17 magazine which must have had Twiggy on the cover of every issue. Looking back at my pictures, I looked perfectly normal (even thin compared to today's teens), but sure didn't feel it. Even my doctor at the time thought I was overweight and prescribed amphetimines and running. I think I weighed 113 and was 5'3".

Tiki, I feel for you too. One of the things that saved my daughter from body image problems was/is being so athletic, and having athletic friends. They all lifted, had muscular legs, knew that their shape would change depending on the season. Does she cheer year round? If not, maybe you can explain the muscleloss-gain cycle to her, or find another activity that will lean her a bit without sacrificing strength and endurance. Short distance runs, like Ellen suggested?

Gotta go, morning clients...

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #57  

Good evening, LWL!

Had to check in before hitting the sack. Did my cardio hard before work this morning and ate clean. Hectic day at work, and came home and mowed and worked on the new home business. I's tired! No time to lift, but I should be home from work tomorrow by 2PM and will get some in then. Also hope to take a walk down to the lake/boat for some reflection and quiet thoughts time in the evening if it's not too hot - we'll see.

Have a peaceful Sunday all!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #58  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A quick post at the end of the week. Thanks, Tiki, Sandy and Dip, for letting me know about your sleep/morning exercise routines. I'm in the development phase but I'm having to take it carefully because of this wretched 'it's not glandular fever/mono but it might as well be' virus. I need even more sleep than usual!

VERY BIG HUGS to you, Tiki, and your gorgeous daughter. Other people have made some good suggestions. I can only suggest to keep talking around the subject (changes during puberty, media pressure, sports options, etc, etc). Airing the subject surely has to be better than stewing on it in private.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote