Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #16  
Ilene the Bean

IC what the AC is Mel :
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #17  
The one called Physh

Red face Sorry . . .

AC=acromio-clavicular joint. Yeah, the front of the shoulder. Mel, I think you are right. I think I was a bit hyper-extended. I mis-spoke yesterday, only did 10 reps 3 sets each, but I do feel it today so something got a workout!

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement!

Last edited by 1nceagain; 08-07-2005 at 10:07 PM.
1nceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #18  

Sheila - I've never been able to do 20 pound bicep curls right off a layoff from lifting, and I'm still somewhat youngish. I'm sure it depends on body type as well as the other kinds of exercise and work one does during one's day. But I'm not sure how just being able to do 2 reps of anything is that all-fired useful anyway.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #19  
The one called Physh

Question more opinions please!

So, I figured out how to add the smaller 2.5 incriments! I have considered this week a pure "get to know the machines" week.
I have done weights 2 days now with a day off between. Today my triceps are very sore but not excruciating. Is that good? I mean I know it's confirmation that I am working those muscles, but do I work through it today or take two days off to allow more recovery time? Also, I am a bit unclear about just how much rest time I should be taking between sets. I am doing 10reps X 3sets at very minimal weight (10-15lbs) as I am still tring to determine a reasonable starting point. I found the "periodization" approach interesting as a way to monitor progress. Still trying to figure that all out. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 AM   #20  

Everyone has their own take, but I try to rest between 30 sec and 1 minute between sets. I'd say if your triceps are just sore but not in agony, go ahead and stick to your schedule and see how it feels.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

I too rest 30 sec to a minute between sets. Sometimes more if someone is "working in" or standing in my way. My weights aren't as high as some, and I don't do some of the exercises mentioned (at the moment), but ....

bicep curl 12# dbs
lat pulldown 65#
dumbell flies, um, I think 15#
tricep rows 20#

That's all I can remember, and I'm too lazy to run up and get my cheat sheet!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #22  
The one called Physh

Smile Thanks . . .

Laura and Pat,
Thanks for your input. I pushed through and did weights again today. I think I have found good start points on most of the machines. I could get through 3sets of 10reps but felt I was very near my limit on most by that last rep, so I figure thats a good start point. I split the difference on the rest time. I did around 45 seconds or so. I think more than my triceps will be sore tomorrow!

Have a great day!