Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #16  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove
When we reach out to one another on here, writing messages that we hope will impact another positively, we do our best and send it out into the void -- not knowing if it will make contact as effectively as we'd like. It can be a difficult medium.
Thanks for expressing what I often feel, Sarah. It is a difficult medium but we do our best. It is most definitely worth trying to reach out. Words of kindness from people here have made all the difference some days.

I'm in a lurking period and I've been wondering why. I think it's because I can scarcely put one foot in front of the other (illness, tiredness, pressures of time), let alone manage to tell anyone else what I've been doing. But coming here does help.

Glad to see you back again, Sarah. I enjoyed your earlier posts when I joined 3FC just before your illness.

Lieke: you are going through the wringer at present, you poor thing. I am thinking about you, your sister and your DBF.

Ilene: plan A, plan B. I'm talking plan C and plan D here. Is that OK? Is it in the manual?

I can't get to the gymn at all at present so I'm working out at home. Mobility routine, heel stretches and straight leg exercises for the Achilles tendon and knee, rebounding twice a day for cardio, some abs. Periodic, unpredictable, forceable lifting of an angry five-year-old. Fall into a chair and close eyes for a long time.

Food needs more attention (or should that be less?)

Hullo to all you other Excellent Ladies Who Lift.

P.S. Tiki: I expect JKR drinks pinot grigio.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Silver -- Plan C and D definitely works as long as something is done....

Gotta go, I still have a headache!!!!! So don't talk so loud k?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #18  

Height: 5'4"

First: I have to say that it is amazing what a great community this is. Hugs to Sarah & Lorraine, Susan, Silverbirch, Lieke, Ilene & dad, & everyone else who needs one.

Second: Went to the other branch of the gym last night, managed 20 minutes of the incline treadmill going 20-30-50-10-50-15-50-40% etc at only about 2.5mph. The only thing I can compare the 50% to in real life is hiking the last part of the Chimneys trail in the Smoky Mtns where you have to grab onto whatever brush there is around to pull yourself up - it's that steep. Luckily there is a huge bar at the top of the treadmill to hang onto, otherwise I would have been in a heap in the floor . Also did about 25 min on the "Gauntlet" stair climber.

Tried to do some lifting after that but I just wasn't feeling it so didn't accomplish much there. I think being at the "wrong" gym I was just enough out of my comfort zone to be a little off kilter. About to leave to go back tonight and try for a real workout.

I think my problem is that I need some structure and more discipline. I find myself just sort of wandering around the gym until I see something that I want to do instead of buckling down and doing what I need to do. Hmm, will have to ponder this further whilst I do my cardio.

Tiki - The other night I had a Smirnoff Ice Watermelon flavored thing (someone left it after a party). I would *rather* have had 1.5 bottles of wine on an empty stomach than that awful cack, blech.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had one of those cooler things one time that tasted like kids cough medicine. It was vile! Give me a nice big glass of Yellow Tail any day.
Today is legs, which is normally my favourite. For some reason, I'm sitting here still in my night-shirt, thinking what a chore it is to get dressed. Goofy, I know.
I made a super duper effort on eating yesterday and did OK. If I hadn't got into the tortilla chips after dinner, my percentages would have been great. I'm taking my Mom out for lunch for her 75th birthday today (ooo restaurant food) and then I plan to scour some fancy grocery stores in London. Maybe I'll come up with some awsome proteins. New fish?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I guess we are grown ups. I used to LOVE coolers but now? No way Jose.

Hugs to all that need them and hugs to those that don't. A good hug never hurt anybody, right?

For some DUMB reason, I woke up at 1:00 AM and started working on a cheer. Finally finished it and then went back to bed at 4:30 AM. Then I dreamed about cheering the rest of the night. This is getting to be weird.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #21  

Hello all - just a fly by to say all is well and I hope you all have a great weekend
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:32 PM   #22  
in development

Quick post to let you know that rebounding is *the* way to go. I managed 13 mins this morning and 14 mins this evening. This is good progress.

btw Ilene, nice to see your DS isn't quite as shy as this time last year.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch
btw Ilene, nice to see your DS isn't quite as shy as this time last year.
When I read that silver I had to go back and re-read what I had written, and good grief it's DD who brought the BF on the day trip ... What a typo that was ... Unfortunately DS is still shy but he's come a long way, he's now a certified lifeguard with NO lifeguard JOB, but that's ok, that's in the works...
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #24  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
What a typo that was
Ah!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #25  

Ilene,
When I read about your 17 y.o. son and his BF I thought - well, probably he has to move to Vancouver where everything is much easier for boys and their BFs Funny, we are now so used to announcements of gay marriages that I did not even have a second thought about your typo mistake. Now however I am glad it was your daughter, not son! Even though it happens all over the place, I am still way to conservative!
On the other note - when kids are teens everything happens so fast that it does not make sence to stress out about it. It took me longer to get used to my DD asian BF than for her to swith to italian BF. Now I don't care as I am sure at age 15 it does not matter!

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #26  
Mel

I guess I don't read very carefully!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #27  

I noticed but I just thought, "good for her not making a big deal of it."
Old 07-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #28  

Hi everyone, first of all, thank you all so much for your support, because although I have not been able to post this week due to clogging PC's at home and a frantic situation at work, I have been sneaking in and reading the thread anyway.

Things have gone upwards again and started to do so from Sunday onwards. DBF got a real scare I guess, but still refuses to have me make a doctor's appointment, saying he will look at it himself. I wonder what to scare him with so he goes.
That said, I had a good week, with my sister coming to stay for a few days and having a look around the neigbourhood.
We went to a cave near us, which was a nice surprise, went to town (no shopping alas, because no money) etc.
They left this morning to go back to The Hague (NL) so I'm a bit sad.
One other good thing: I have a job interview on Monday morning at 09.00, I hope it works out as it sounds the kind of job I'd be good at (customer service and product tracking).
My lookout on life has changed over the years and this past week, but I will not let go of the things that are important to me! Anyway, I feel a lot better for having found that out about myself.
Gym: no gym at ALL this week, BUT: went up about 700 steps (in the cave) and did another 4 hours of walking up-and downhill in Lyon, both times no sweat...
Next week is the last week before the gym closes for 3 weeks, so I have to figure out someting else. Might buy myself some weights when I get paid, everything is on seasonal sale these days...

Ilene, When you read this, I'm thinking of you...

Julia, I hope DBF does listen, he's so stubborn you can never tell. If I know him, it'll be his own idea in a little while.

Sarah, thank you for your words of support and the hug, DBF does smoke too and I HATE it! I believe that's what got my mother down. All around him people are stopping and he just goes on. He does smoke outside now, though. I wish I could make my DBF do the same as you made your partner do. On the other hand, women are so much more reasonable than men, AND they usually listen to what you say, too...

Hello to you Silverbirch, I was wondering what had happened to you lately!

Bye for now, next post will be Monday at the latest, to let you know about the job interview

Lieke

PS. you know how the French pronounce: PIZZA HUT?
PEETzzahh 'uTh... when I had finally understood what chain was meant (radio ad) it had me in screamers for 10 minutes on my way to work...
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #29  
Ilene the Bean

Greekgirl -- I just remembered something that my Mom does with my Dad when he won't go see the doctor.... SHE makes the appointment and tells him if it's the wrong time or for whatever reason HE wants to cancel it, HE has to call to cancel... Sneaky, but it worked for her, and Dad has never cancelled... Worth a try anyways....

Julia -- If one of my kids where gay it would not bother me in the least... I think a tattoo would bother me more .... The way the world is changing these days though, the tattoo probably wouldn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't like it specially if it were a big ole obvious one !!
Old 07-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #30  

Lieke- good to hear you are feeling & doing better. Good luck on the interview.

I just have to vent a little - the ex came over to my house last night, saw my scale in the kitchen and got all excited saying that he hadn't weighed himself in ages. Do you know that scrawny thing only weighs 133#'s? How disgusting is that?

Quote:
SHE makes the appointment and tells him if it's the wrong time or for whatever reason HE wants to cancel it, HE has to call to cancel
My mother tried that with my sister when she was about 6. She was PAINFULLY shy and wouldn't even order in a restaurant but would instead whisper what she wanted to my mother. Mom tells her "If you don't want to go the dentist you'll have to call and cancel the appointment" never dreaming that she actually would. Well, she went straight to the phone and did it.

I'm not going to talk about food or exercise. Today I went to the funeral mass for a good friend who died last week & I've had trouble getting motivated to do anything other than eat comfort foods (probably also the reason that the ex was at my house last night - do the words "don't drink & dial" mean anything?).