Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Newbie with a question

After losing about 60 lbs and doing what I thought were "toning" exercises for years, I just started lifting and am loving the quick results I've seen! I started with the plan outlined at Stumptuous.com and have been doing it about 3 times a week for a couple of weeks.

She says in that routine to so 2 sets of 12-15 reps for most exercises, but my boyfriend does 3 sets of 8/10/12 with varying weights and I've seen others use that as well. I was wondering if that was something that a newbie should be worried about, or what the benefits of doing it that way would be. Right now I'm really focusing on form and doing it with one consistent weight per exercise.

Also, she has a lat pulldown in the first workout, and I'm doing this at home with a free weight set. I've noticed that it seems like I'm not working my back enough. Does anyone have an exercise that I could add at home (besides dumbell rows) that would help?

Thanks in advance! I've been reading this forum and you guys are always so helpful. I can't believe how much fun this has been so far
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #2  

Hi, Jennifer,
Which one of Krista's routines are you doing? I know that she has one that is dumbbell only that's geared toward home exercisers. You also might check http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for more back exercises. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot more than rows that you can do w/o a cable machine. You could add shrugs if you're not doing them already, which targets the upper back.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #3  

As far as the sets/reps go, follow Krista's advice since you are a beginner. There are a million different ways to slice and dice the sets & reps. There is no one ideal combination, and EVERYONE should change up what they do periodically. The 12-to-15 reps, 2 sets is ideal when you're first starting. When you feel ready to move past that, you could go to heavier weights and drop down to 8-to-12 reps, and then start experimenting with all the other variations when you're ready for the next stage. Krista explains the possibilities on her site, so there's some more good reading ahead for you.

P.S. I second exrx.net to research additional exercises, it's a great resource.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

LKTS, thanks for that link! I'm doing the first beginner's routine from the link I posted (sans lat pulldown) and it's been great so far. I might try adding shrugs and also adding a bit more weight to the dumbell rows I'm already doing, as they just don't seem to be challenging my back at all. She outlined an exercise called Yates Row, but I can't seem to get the movement down where it's targeting my back. It always seems to get my arms instead. The shrugs look similiar but with a bit more movement in the back, so I think they might be easier to learn.

funniegrrl, I'll just stick with the 2 set of 12-15 for now then. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't off to a bad start! I'll have to go explore Krista's site a bit more. There's a ton of information there.

Thanks for the help guys
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote