Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #1  

Unhappy Gaining weight, I know I know, it's muscle . . . BUT

I am having a hard time accepting the scale. I started the self challenge and am in week 4, I have NEVER been this committed to exercise in my entire life. I have done 5 or 6 days per week and I've actually found myself looking forward to exercise lordie, what is up with that!!

I have avoided the scale because I was told not to weigh until 8 weeks, because the scale would "confuse me". Well I have some sort of sick addiction to that stupid thing and I got on it today. I have never been heavier! waaaaaaah. I know this could/is possibly muscle and blah blah, but it's just so hard to see it.

Y'feel like you're doing so good and that stupid square thing with the pointie thing in it can ruin it all. I just wanted to vent. I won't give up, I am building muscle right? yah.
I just wanted to vent. TY.
Le Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #2  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Substitute the scale for a Tape Measure while your on this self challenge. you will get a far bigger boost adding up all those inches lost, as opposed to looking for a minus on the scale.

sincerely,
sassy
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 AM   #3  

I haven't lost anything this week, despite keeping to my diet and exercise. I notice that I tend to hit a mini plateau when I add to my lift weights. As suggested, I would take comfort in the information that a tape measurer would give you.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 AM   #4  

Hi,

I suggest you to use a "pantsometer". Fat has much more volume than muscle, so if your scales are equal or a bit up, but your pants are looser....You're there!!!

Also I have to say that I have had the same thing when I had worked out a lot and was sore all over. Apparently sore muscles hold water. Try also drinking 2 litres a day, because if you are low on water you also tend to hold water.

Last possibility: also hormones have an influence, like before TOM you might also tend to hold water.

Just keep on going, iquite a lot of people tell that they loose nothing for 3 weeks, then go up in week 4, and then all of a sudden have a weight drop in week 4 or 5.

Don't get discouraged, if your food is Ok and you keep to it you will get results eventually.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #5  
one fat penguin.

I agree with every one else. Some people take more than 4 weels before the scale drops, but there are lots of other signs that you are getting smaller.
The first time I did Body for Life I lost nothing ( I mean not even an ounce) on the scale until week 8! Then I swear it was like over night I lost the weight.

Just hang in there.

BTW, what is the self challenge?
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Cheez --- DON'T USE THE SCALE!!! Whew, I'm ok now I got it out of my system... The tape measure is a much better tool, or take pics they are worth a 1000 words... For example I have lost maybe 2 pounds since January, but the tape says I've lost 1.25 inches on my hips, waist and chest AND my size 8s are very very loose... now that's something to celebrate Hang in there, the scale will eventually move if you have a lot of weight to lose and if you don't your weight will shift and you will see the fat melting off and the muscles popping through...

P.S.: Have you looked at the muscle vs. fat pic in my siggie ? If not, have a look...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #7  

Hey I feel ya too! This is my 4th week since I started lifting and week 1 I lost nothing, week 2 I lost 5 lbs, week 3 I lost 1 lb and this week I went up 3!!!!!!! Can you believe it? But I really think its the muscle weighs more than fat thing because I am getting a nice definition in my arms and feel "lighter" and my clothes fit slightly better. Isn't the scale frustrating??
Girlie245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #8  
Meg

One further thought - how's your nutrition? Exercise - lifting weights AND cardio - is only part of the fat loss equation. The other absolutely essential part is nutrition - what and how much you eat. It all boils down to calories in versus calories out, so if you're taking in more calories than you're using - through daily exercise and activity - you're gonna gain weight. Regardless of how much and how hard you exercise.

We see this all the time in my gym - people who consistently exercise but never make any progress. When you talk to them, you find out it's because they undo their hard work in the gym by what/how much they're eating.

If you're not already journalling what you're eating, a lot of us have found Fitday to be invaluable for tracking food and calories. It can be eye-opening to see how fast the calories can add up!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #9  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Meg your after picture is inspiring! Where you on a particular plan?
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #10  
Meg

My plan was (still is, as a matter of fact! ) pretty simple. Between 1200 and 1600 calories of 'clean food'*, an hour of cardio a day, and weights 4-5 days a week. I never had much success following 'name diets' and much prefer just counting calories and doing it my way.

Next month will mark the end of three years of maintenance for me. (why does this little dancing fluffball always make me think of Ilene?? ) Anyway, my life really looks just about the same now as it did for the year I was losing weight, so the great lesson I've learned is - do it YOUR WAY - find a plan of eating and exercise that you can do for life because it really IS going to be for the rest of your life!

But name diet plans work great for some people, especially in the beginning when they're starting out. I'm just too darn stubborn to be told what to eat - I'd rather just count the calories. Are you following a plan?

*'Clean food' = lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies, good fats, no sugar, minimally processed, as close to nature as possible.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
(why does this little dancing fluffball always make me think of Ilene?? )
MOI??

3 years ALREADY Meg?! How time flies!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Cookie,

I know what you mean about Meg's pictures. When i want to give up on a workout or just say that I am meant to be heavy and should just give up, visualizing her pics is a great motivator. If she can do what she did, then how can I wimp out with much less weight to lose than what she had to?

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #13  
Meg

Sweet Tiki - you just made my day. Thank you!

Keep in mind that I'm enough to swear at donuts.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #14  

Meg, Just as long as those donuts don't swear back!
(BTW, Meg, do you eat your meals 5 times a day?)

Three years of maintenance!!! You are an amazing and inspirational role model. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and being so supportive.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 AM   #15  
Meg

Hi Bonnie and ! I'm 5'4" and hovering in the low 140s at the moment. As soon as I'm done studying for a test next week (and hopefully pass! ) my next plan is to focus on getting back to 135, which is a comfortable weight for me. Yep, I weigh myself every day! Maintenance calories for me are about 1600 but I haven't been tracking super closely lately. Once I buckle down to losing again, I'll need to be religious about journaling in Fitday again.

Muscle IS a lot smaller and denser than fat - and it burns calories (but isn't heavier than fat ) - and you're absolutely right: regardless of what we do in the gym, we still have to be careful about what/how much we're eating. It's always eye-opening to add up how much exercise it takes to burn off one Starbucks venti cafe mocha or some goodie like that!!

Gladdy - I definitely eat at least 5 meals a day! I would melt down for sure without something to eat every three hours. Yesterday I ended up with 6 or maybe even 7 meals?? I can't even remember, but I was starving all day. It was all clean food, but probably more calories than I should have eaten. But I'll take it because I've been fighting the stress eating/study eating monster all week and know how much worse it could have been. Honestly, if I make it through the test next Monday with my weight staying the same (and I plan to), it will be a huge victory.