Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #1  
Warrior of Grace

Default Stretching - Do you? Should I?

I'm in my 6th week of BFL (slightly modified) and I notice there's nothing in the program about stretching. I've always been under the impression that this is a pretty important factor in exercise to lengthen muscles and prevent injury.

Do you stretch? When? How much? Any other thoughts on stretching? Thanks!
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Yup - that's one of the things missing in BFL that (IMO) should have been included - stretching.

I always stretch between sets (during my 'rest' periods) and after my workout (for about 5 minutes or so). I generally do my after-workout stretches on the floor (using a mat of course).

In addition, I stretch frequently during the day at work. I also take yoga classes regularly.

Hopefully someone else will have some more insight!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

My "insight" isn't all that great... I stretch before running, 5 minutes, after running 5 minutes... Nothing elaborate I know I should do more though... I used to do Yoga but haven't in about a year unfortunately...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I know I've read some things lately about stretching, and how it can actually increase your chances of injury if done with cold muscles, or improperly. Be darned if I can find the exact article now though. However, here's a blurb I did find - not exactly what I read, but has the same general tone.

Proper stretching never includes quick and jerky movements, ballistic stretching (as bouncing towards your toes is known) died with disco, and unlike disco, it's not coming back. Before you start stretching, your muscles should be nice and warm, at least 104 degrees. You shouldn't stretch before your workout, unless you first take at least 10 minutes to warm-up. I suggest you stretch after your workout; you'll be warm by the time you finish, and the likelihood of injuring yourself decreases markedly. Stretching should be slow and then static upon hitting resistance. When you feel tension, stop. Hold the muscle there for at least 15 seconds. This allows for the sensory organs in your muscle's belly to communicate with your brain and convince him or her to send back the signal to relax. The first response your muscle makes to a stretch is to resist; after it's convinced there is no pain involved, it will relax. You should stretch a muscle several times, and rest about one minute between stretching the same muscle again.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Thank you WaterRat that was very informative...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #6  
Om shanti

Yes... it is very important to make sure you're only stretching warm muscles. I learned that the hard way! :O
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #7  
Building my Body for Life

I, too, stretch between sets on the BFL program. I also stretch after my cardio sessions. I don't spend an extended amount of time stretching - I can always tell whether I've done enough. My body gets really stiff if I don't stretch enough.

Brian is absolutely right on only stretching warm muscles. I once read an article that compared stretching to taffy. If you stretch cold taffy, it breaks. If it's warm, it will stretch much further before breaking. I always think of that for some reason.

Have a great day!
Jocelyn
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #8  
Warrior of Grace

Mmmmm... Taffy....
Old 01-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #9  
Om shanti

Quote:
If you stretch cold taffy, it breaks.
Ooo thanks for the image, Fitchick. Just imagining my muscles doing that... <shudder>
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadira
Mmmmm... Taffy....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #11  

I have a stretch session after my workout is completely done. I might do some minor stretches between sets, but it's mostly to do something besides stand there like a lump. LOL Stretching is very important for overall flexibility, but the mantra that you have to do it to prevent injury or reduce soreness is actually not supported by any research. I do it because it FEELS GOOD and increasing flexibility (and balance) is a fitness goal of mine.

I learned a lot about what good stretching and proper form feels like when I started taking yoga. I highly recommend it, especially if you can find a class that's anusara yoga or something else relatively slow and sustained (rather than "power yoga" or whatever). I highly recommend a class over a video when you are starting out, at least several months' worth of classes.

If you don't want to go the yoga route, Tamilee Webb has a great DVD called Total Body Stretch for Beginners. It's acutally a compliation of two earlier videos -- one is a total routine, the other is 3 briefer 15-minute routines. I haven't actually used the DVD in ages, but I usually incorporate many of these stretches in my post-workout session, adding in some principles I picked up from yoga.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
I do it because it FEELS GOOD...
Me too.

I just spent the last week or so getting over a very sore/stiff neck (brought on by a bad cold - I had a couple of those coughing/sneezing jags and I think that's what tweaked it). Both my PCP and my massage therapist recommended doing gentle stretches.

Our Ergonomics department at work recommends getting up from our desks/computers and stretching at least once an hour (not always easy to do when you're armpit-high in some project with a time factor!). We even have software on our laptops that prompts us to 'take a stretch break' with some stretching suggestions included - it pops up every hour (we CAN turn it off though...)
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #13  
Warrior of Grace

Thanks for all the great info and replies. I do know how to stretch. I just wondered about its absence in the BFL program. I have started to incorporate stretching after my workouts, mostly because my body says that's the thing to do.

And it feels sooooo good!