Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #179 Nov 29 - Week after Thanksgiving

So how did you do? Lifting turkey platters can be an exhausting shoulder and bicep workout

I managed to get all my weight workouts in and only missed 1 cardio session, though my cardio is still way less than "hitting 10's" due to knee problems. Food was on except for some tastes at Thanksgiving dinner, which I'd planned on. So, I'd say I got through on plan It helps that my mother, step-father and daughter who were visiting for 7 days are very health conscious and all lift, so we had a few family sessions at the gym. We are all

Hope everyone had a great holiday and comes back and posts!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I got into the gym only one day during the break for a good cardio session. Food wasn't that bad though seeing that I spent the majority of the weekend asleep. Dreaming about eating bad stuff is not as unhealthy as eating while awake

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #3  
Lovin' Zumba!

I have no excuse for not working out last week - I just chose not to!

Food was pretty good, with the exception of too much whole wheat stuff - triscuits and pita bread, which were part of my appetizer platter. But, now everything is gone, so I can get right back on track.

Got back in the gym this morning - it was tough, but I made it through! Hopefully the rest of the week will be better once I get my sleep schedule back to normal.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:33 PM   #4  

One day at a time for me. Today was on plan with food and upper body workout and FitDay data entry. My arms and shoulders are fried! Upper body probably wasn't the best thing for me to do today because I have a 4-hour First Aid and CPR refresher course tomorrow. I will be doing chest compressions counting and going "OW!" in between counts!

I have cooked and packed food for tomorrow. One day at a time. I can do this. I CAN do this.
Susan_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Gang

Susan ~~ One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time, is the only way to go...

I had a great workout today, I jogged to the gym 2.5k, did legs , jogged back 2.5k... I feeeeeel GOOD... It's absolutely gorgeous here today too....

Yesterday DH and I went shopping in Ottawa we had a great time. I particularly had a good time in the Running Room store, I was like a kid in a candy store... DH bought me some new Nike runners, running gloves, baclava for the winter running and socks... I can't wait till Christmas morning ....

Life is great here, hope eveyrone is doing as well... TTFN ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 PM   #6  

Had a wonderful Thanksgiving, DH was to pleased to have his family around him, his mom, brother and brother's wife completed the table. I did pretty well overall, probably too heavy on the desserts, but am back on track.

I did learn one thing, I need to do more Atkins and less BFL, I am having trouble sleeping again and needing more sleep. I also have to push the water more.

The gym was kind of quiet this am, I didn't feel like lifting so I stayed on the eliptical, probably has to do with the sleep thing, so I am keeping better track of my vitamins and watching the eating.

The office is lively for me, coworker is out this week, so the phones are all for me, and I am trying to schedule my social life, what is up with people. LOL.

MEL - One problem with recovering from knee or leg ailments is that you have to use them, not like an arm which I guess you could just not use. Love the scene of family who lifts together stays together.

Husband goes back to the gym this evening after being out recovering from the pneumonia. He is really chomping to get back and hopes he can get back on track.

My public awaits.

PS Had to put in the gingerbread people into my signature, I make tons of them at Christmas and decorate them and put names on them, one of my really favorite things to do.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Hi all. Haven't checked in in ages. Getting ready for my conference, then being away, and then immediately upon return having to deal with both a colonoscopy and Thanksgiving took all my energy.

The conference went fine, the colonoscopy was positive (no polyps) and Thanksgiving went smoothly. My dd's tummy is beginning to fill out, very exciting to see, and so far she's feeling fine. She's a high risk pregnancy, as she has lupus, but is seeing a gynecologist who specializes in high risk pregnancies, so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Didn't get to work out much, tried to keep eating under control with mixed results, but now that everything is back to normal I feel like I am back on track. Am going to work with the trainer tonight, which has me psyched...that will really get me back on the right path.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Good morning. I'm planning on being back at the gym today. I went on Friday and did a good cardio workout, along with some ab work. Had good intentions for the weekend, and woke up Sat with a nasty sore throat and general achy all-over whatever. Finally felt better late yesterday, so I'll pick up the routine today. Eating was not bad with the illness, as nothing tasted good. Gym scale on Friday showed me 2.5# down - a definite good thing. Right now I'm concentrating more on getting fit, getting exercise to be a routine, etc rather than actual WL, though that's a necessity too, just not a priority at the moment, if that makes sense.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #9  

Hi all,
I'm finally back from the 'rents - didn't get stuck in any airports, so that's a victory Didn't eat too badly, but the only exercise I really got was helping my dad push the antique car he's restoring around, and getting the Christmas tree and setting it up.

I've got several assignments due in my grad school classes on Wednesday and all my work stuff to catch up on. Later in the week I'm going to officially join the gym, do another weigh-in, and get back on track with the weights. I think that I haven't gained a bunch, but certainly haven't lost either.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I am here, just lurking. Hullo Ilene! At last I've tickled a few contracts into being and so I am extremely busy. One, at least, is paying what I think of as danger money - research in the run-up to Christmas is full of hazards!

I lurk mainly between here and Maintainers. I like Maintainers' positive attitude and I have just about thought myself into almost being one. They have some good stuff going about different books which I like. Books are one of my big motivational tools at present. Go to bed early, read a bit of a motivational book, get a lot of sleep.

I'm going to the gymn or walking. Nutrition is going well. I am eating noticeably less and I am losing weight. That's a breakthrough. And another breakthrough: I have developed my gymn notebook. Now it's my fitness notebook and I record food and other things too. One day on the two pages as it opens (page to a view?) Nothing fancy. Just notes in pencil.

That's all for now. Have to go for a walk in the dank air (though the clouds look nice) before the afternoon onslaught.

Be kind to yourselves. We can do this.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Hello Silver, WaterRat and Laura and the rest of the gang!

Laura ~~ Good for you on no weight gain when the going gets rough...

Silver ~~ Glad to see you are eating carefully to realise your potential, it sure does work doesn't it...

At this end food has been so-so after looking at my calendar I only had 2 good healthy food days last week out of 7, NOT good... I'm back on track today with everything food... Exercise is good, in a few minutes I will jog to the gym, do chest, then jog back...

TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:10 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Sad to report that while I thought I was better, I obviously was not. Haven't been to the gym at all this week - ACK! Mostly I go to work, go home and sleep. Trying to deal with sinus headaches. Enough whining. I will be better soon I hope. At least when nothing has any taste I don't overeat.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #13  
Mel

OK LWL- sounds like everyone is in the doldrums, sick, still recovering from Thanksgiving, or gearing up for Christmas!
This is Mel the giving this entire board a kick in the pants to get out there and make the next 3 weeks count! And come post and tell us about it

Today is arm day and cardio for me. I'll also be trying out some new funtional fitness exercises that I've been reading and watching video tapes about. I think I may beed a crash helmet for some of these

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

I don't understand cravings. I don't understand why I can be sooo good for days and days, and then, all of a sudden, I craaaavvvee carbs. Bread carbs, espec, cereal will do. Yesterday was such a good day...had a good night's sleep, did heavy duty cardio at the gym, had all the right foods at work, and then around 4:30...the craving started...since there was no bread I ended up with 6 cookies. ARGH! And then when I got home 3 bowls of fiber one with tons of nuts. Made myself sick. I just don't get it. Where does the craving come from? Does it mean my diet isn't balanced enough?
It's like I am two people, one in control, and one I don't even know, who takes over my mind/body and self-destructs. It's really upsetting.

On another topic, have any of you ever read/seen the book Lower Body Solution, think it's by Laura Dyson or Dayton? I dug it out of my exercise books yesterday. She advocates daily workouts for legs. That's about as far as I've gotten. What do you think about that? Can't remember the reasons; I was half asleep.

Imagine the dicotomy...eating like a pig and reading an exercise book. An exercise in futility. Yuk.

Today I try again!!! Trainer tonight.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #15  
Lovin' Zumba!

Yes Mel, I think you're right - a kick in the pants is what we all need! I know that although I've gotten back on board with my workouts this week, my food is still in that post-Thanksgiving sloppy mode, where carbs are slipping in here and there...

Ok, enough of that - today has been clean so far, and so I will strive to have a great three days! I can do this!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote