3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   LWL #153: Week of May 9-15 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/40416-lwl-153-week-may-9-15-a.html)

Ilene 05-12-2004 12:08 PM

Cindy -- gush away you deserve it! Congrats! :high:

Jack -- Yes! I only had 10 chips! I have two teens they ate the rest,but I had to shooo them out of the room.... :dizzy:

I`m feeling very good today...It`s a gorgeous day! I`m going to the gym at 12:30, I`m biking there too, then I`m going for a looooon ride...:dance: I LOVE biking, can you tell?

tikanique 05-12-2004 12:40 PM

okay, i'm caught up.

Cindy, I'm with Ilene - gush, boast, brag, shake your tail feather, you are making great gains.

Dip - So good to read that although you haven't worked out, you have maintained your healthy eating. So many people do the opposite, lose it on the food, but still get the exercise. I always KNEW you were different.

Meg - I read your anniversary post. As always, you are awesome, but not one iota more of a super human than anyone else and if you can do it, we ALL can do it. Thanks for being so motivational.

Jack - When you see Meg at the gym, give her a high five for me.

Hi Colleen - cool to see your smiling face today.

If running around my office fetching, and carrying and fixing this and getting that signed, etc. is listed as a cardio workout then i am going for the MAX workout today. Its crazy, but the days when I need to wear gym shoes because I am running around, hauling, chasing people down, etc. are the days that I HAVE to wear silk shirts, skirts and heels. I may LOOK good, but I am wore-out already. Oh well,
more stuff to get the stuffed shirts to sign.

Peace. Tiki.

Ilene 05-12-2004 08:24 PM

Hey Gang!! :wave:

It's been another great day for me:

1. Went to the gym did back...
2. Biked 15k in the afternoon...
3. Biked another 15k with DH after supper...
4. Ate 100% clean :dance:
5. Drank 3 litres of water... It's easy to drink that much water when you're biking alot tho...

Finally!! A perfect day!

:wave: to Colleen.... How ya doin' girl?

And to all a good nite :yawn: !!

Meg 05-13-2004 05:17 AM

Good morning, ladies and Jack! :coffee: It’s so great to be sitting here in the early AM with my coffee and knowing that a few hundred miles to my west, DIP! is getting up and wandering over to her computer too. A special GOOD MORNING to the Dipster and we are all so :dance: to have you back with us!

This is my favorite part of your post:
Quote:

But there are some changes this year - a smaller me and a bigger boat. Was it all worth it? You bet your as* it was, and by this time next year we may not have another larger boat, but I will be smaller yet. In all honesty, a year ago I didn't think I could do it, but I did, and the rewards are beyond what I ever thought possible. Life is good.
You said it all and let me tell you that it only gets better from here! We’re proud of you for maintaining your weight during your gym lay-off. You’ve obviously made the eating part of this a “lifestyle” rather than a diet — otherwise you’d be back here saying you were up ten pounds. :( Hope you stick around for a while (in between boat excursions of course) (how about Internet access on the boat? :lol: )

Cindy, I’m really glad you had your shoulder checked out and it’s not too bad. You’re a lot smarter than I was :doh: … I like using DBs too for chest exercises because I can angle my hands and it takes all the pain out of the exercise for me. Here’s something fun for chest that easier on the shoulders: grab DBs and a bench that inclines. Start with the bench flat and do a set of presses, then for each successive set, incline the bench one notch (five sets total). On the fifth set, you’ll be fairly inclined. Then grab whatever DBs you use for flyes and starting at that incline position, do five sets, dropping the bench down one notch each set. Finish completely flat. This way you cover every angle from flat to incline on presses and flyes. Finish off with some decline work and you’re out of there.

And big congrats on the new BF%! :cp:

Hi Sandi! Of course we all remember you! You’ve been through a very tough patch recently with your family and I’m glad you’re ready to get back to business here. The hardest part about exercise — as you’ve discovered — is just getting started. I guarantee that you’ll walk out of the gym after the first day back and ask yourself why you ever stopped going. It’s getting there the first time that’s hard. So why don’t you tell us what day you’ll be going and then come back and tell us what you did? And how’s it going with the eating plan?

Tiki! You go, girl! Big squat numbers! :strong: Sounds like work is insane — hang in there, weekend’s almost here. Any plans? And you’re right, of course — there’s nothing at all unusual about me and every one of you is capable of doing exactly what I did. We’ve all been around long enough to know there's no magic or secret — except I think we’ve got the secret here at LWL with the Trinity. ;) It sure worked for me!

Leeney —- my queenie! (does anyone call you Leeney??) :high: on the perfect day! It’ll make today even easier for you. My legs are still sore from doing them on Monday for the first time since April 1. I went right back into track lunges and all the usual stuff (reduced weights) and have been absolutely crippled for the past two days. And loving it — sick pup that I am! Can't wait for next Monday! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Thank you all for the second anniversary good wishes! It’s funny how that date is right up there with the other biggies in my life, like kids’ birthdays and my wedding anniversary. I guess I’ll never forget: June 1, 2001 — last day I weighed 257 pounds/first day of new life and May 12, 2002 — reaching goal. I may be old and gray in my rocking chair but I’ll still remember, I’m sure. Without a doubt it was my most-life changing year ever. I can’t wait to see how all of you are doing by the time my third anniversary rolls around in a year! (so everyone meet back here on May 12, 2005, OK?)

Let me tell you what the sweetest guy ever did for me yesterday — our own Jack brought two beautiful red roses to me at the gym for my second anniversary. There was a little card that he signed from LWL and Maintainers. I was so touched! Right there in the middle of doing bi’s! Thanks, Jack! Pat is one lucky lady to have a fellow like you. :love:

Hi to all — hey, if you’re lurking, come on out and play!

Off to do cardio :tread: -- it's been pretty limited for the past two days due to leg abuse. :D

diphthong 05-13-2004 07:07 AM

4:17AM MEG?!?!?

Your next few weeks sounds totally insane, and I'm glad it' s you and not me. I'd be up at 4AM too just from anxiety - whew. I *wish* we had internet on the boat, and DH too, but the cost for that (and satellite TV) is more than we can afford, especially when the equipment wish list is so long. I miss Fitday when I'm away, but learned to mentally count my grams and calories, and of course Karen's piece about "How much do you really eat?" is burned into my brain.

Jack - WTG on the roses. How thoughtful and sweet. Yes indeed, your Pat is a lucky lady, but I'm betting you are equally blessed.

Ilene - You've prompted me to make it a priority the next few days to get out the Schwinn Collegiate I bought last year and start on the restoration. Blow some of that energy down this way, will ya? I know, I know. Exercise will create more energy.

Cindy - Super-duper on that new BF%!! Gotta love and gush those pay-offs!

Tiki - I picture you running around in those heels and cringe. As attractive as they are, beauty always has a price and I'm hoping you're not messing up your feet. Long ago I worked for a podiatrist and saw some pretty sad situations created from years of wearing heels and pointy toes. That's when I gave them up and began wearing dressy flats or sandals to work. It's paid off. And I was already in the habit when I began dating DH who is slightly taller than I. Be good to yourself, be good to your feet and they will carry you many miles.

Hi Pookie and all!

Yesterday was a wash for me and I didn't lift, just did some cardio. After I took Fox to the vet, I did the mowing and some yardwork. When I came in to shower, I was pooped and felt not too good, probably from too much sun. So I laid down for awhile, and the rest of the day and evening went by like a whirlwind. But I'm going down to lift this AM as soon as DH leaves, and then do cardio later on. One thing for sure is I need to work on my time management again. It's hard for me not to be working in the yard this time of year because it's like caring for a small park. It's most pretty in May and June, especially right now with things in bloom. I'm enjoying it now because we will be getting locusts this year, and a drought is predicted. DH has his garden plowed and will plant this weekend which I think willl be futile if we don't get rain resulting in a low creek and no water to pump. I also think he'll just be feeding the locusts. Oh well!

Have a great day everyone and I'll check back later!

dip
Hi Pookie and all!

Ilene 05-13-2004 07:08 AM

Good Morning LGWL! :wave:

Jack -- Thank you for bringing those flowers from all of us! Geez you're considerate AND a mind reader,... Every woman's dream man :love:...

Good Mornin' Megster -- I love reading your posts first thing in the morning :coffee: sure starts my day off right ....Such a :strong: woman, I'm happy to see your back at it almost full force...:bravo: Some of my g/f's call me Ilene the bean...Or when we've had too much to drink they start singing "c'mon Ilene you're face makes me scream!" Then they :rofl: with laughter... then I pick them up :strong: do a few squats with them and throw them over the balcony! There have been a few unresolved murders in these parts lately...:lol:...

Today I'm taking my parents up to Ottawa, my Dad has to go for a biopsy on his prostate... This is his 4th one he gets they can't seem to find the reason why his PSA is high... Anyways it's a nce sunny day, if it stays that way I'll go biking tonite.

Ilene 05-13-2004 07:12 AM

Hey DipityDoo....:wave: just missed you!! Love and missed your early morning posts!!o!!

Meg 05-13-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

...Or when we've had too much to drink they start singing "c'mon Ilene you're face makes me scream!" Then they with laughter... then I pick them up do a few squats with them and throw them over the balcony! There have been a few unresolved murders in these parts lately......
:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Hey, Ilene, good luck with your dad. DH has a chronically elevated PSA due to benign prostate enlargement and chronic prostatitis (gets infections on and off). It's no big deal and the doc just monitors it every six months. Hope it's something that like for your dad too.

PS -- Dip -- I'm an hour ahead of you, which is why you thought I was posting at 4:17 AM (but I actually was up then!). :lol: I'm sure Karen thinks I post in the middle of the night!

Mel 05-13-2004 08:45 AM

Good morning LWL! It's a scorcher here in Philadelphia!

Tik-Work sounds nuts! Just wearing those clothes and attempting to walk and bend in heels would be a leg workout for me. And to look good while doing it- well, you're a champ in my book ;) For me one of the best things aboutj working in a gym is - tada- gym clothes!

Jack- What a sweety with the roses :flow1: Hope Meg didn't look to silly doing track lunges with flowers clenched in her teeth.

Meg- Hate to disagree, but except for doing the vertical presses with the bench in a completly upright position, I think the rest of the exercises you described are for chest. But it sounds like a great superset- will have to try it. DB flyes are pretty brutal for shoulder victims, though, especially unspotted. You've got to have the chutzpah to just DROP the db if it hurts, regardless of the noise and embarassment factor.

Hi Dip! Missed you lately :wave: Glad you are falling in love with the new boat. I'm sure there's so much work to be done there that you stay pretty active.

Ilene- You and your girlfriends sound like quite the partyers! :rofl:
Hope everyone else is doing great- Cindy! forgot to congratulate you! JC, hope you're still sane.

Gotta scoot,

Mel

Meg 05-13-2004 08:57 AM

OMG Mel! I'm such a moron! Yes, it's all a chest workout -- I said shoulders since we were talking shoulders but of course it's CHEST!!! I'm going back and editing to say chest. You'd think I'd know it cuz I did that workout on Tuesday and am SORE -- in my chest!!!

tikanique 05-13-2004 09:10 AM

Hi all,

Ilene - too funny about your girlfriends. Remind me to NEVER drink around you cause I don't wanna get tossed over any balconies. and CONGRATS on the perfect day!

Jack - That was so sweet. I knew we all liked your for a reason.

Mel - Funny story about dropping dumbells. At the gym on Sunday this string bean of a guy dropped the 70 lb dumbells and scared the crap out of me and another guy. The other guy dropped an 8 lb on his foot. Well maybe it wasn't funny, but I couldn't help thinking that the string bean KNEW he couldn't lift those 70s so what in the HECK was he doing with them?

Dip - Yeah, I do try to take care of my feet. I love high heels but try not to wear them on back to back days. I also don't wear the pointy toe kind hardly at all. Today I have on flats and will also wear them tomorrow to give the old foot a rest. I don't know why you think you didn't workout yesterday, cause MOWING a LAWN is definitely a workout in my book.

Hi rest of the crew.

BOD meeting wraps up today and I'm out the door at 3:30 to return rented stanchions then off to cheerleading practice. I am learning how to spot which is very hard for me since I am only 5'2 and half my girls are taller than that. Hope I don't drop anyone.

Peace. Tiki.

Jennifer 3FC 05-13-2004 09:52 AM

This is a fun day for me. I'm putting together my brand new borrowed used weight bench. It has a lat bar and a leg extension. I read on a newsgroup I think that these men were making fun of leg extensions on weight benches. Are those considered wimpy? These were the same men that really REALLY hated Bowflex and Crossbows.

I am officially on vacation and this will be a challenge to stay on plan for the week. Today and tomorrow are easy because it is just me at home, but on Saturday I meet my mother and father in law for the first time after 3.5 years of marriage. They are from Holland and will be in the US for the first time on Saturday, and will be here for 10 days. We have nothing around here for entertainment beyond 2 days worth of activities, other than restaurants. I think we have more restaurants here than they have in North Myrtle Beach, and we have no tourists! I hope they don't love restaurant food and want to go back every day. Maybe chicken, spinach and brown rice are their favorite foods in the world. We'll see!

Ok, off to the dungeon to put the thing together!

2sw33t 05-13-2004 11:23 AM

Hi all! Since I'm a de-lurker, I guess I should do a brief introduction.

Name: Jill
Occupation: Um, not sure - I was hired (as an intern) at my current company as sort of a technical writer, and they've kept me on as an independent contractor doing whatever they find (mostly system testing and data verification)

Weight Loss/Fitness Journey: I decided to lose weight mid-July last year, so I started running (on a track) and eating less. I sometimes count calories and try to eat healthier (fruits & veggies, whole grain, protein, etc.), but I'm not very strict about what I'll eat. I also joined Curves to provide some additional exercise, especially over the winter since my running was restricted to my treadmill (which I hate). I've recently (March?) started lifting weights at home, starting with a dumbbell set and later adding a curl bar and a few more weight plates. (I bought a bench last summer at a garage sale for fifty cents, but I don't have a rack or any attachments.) I also kept a journal on 3FC for most of the time, but just decided I didn't feel like doing that anymore. :shrug:

Well, I guess that wasn't so brief. Anyway, I love reading your posts and I've learned a lot by coming here. I especially appreciate all those sticky posts at the top of the forum. :) One thing that concerns me, though, is that even with all the pics of various lifts/exercises, I'm often not sure if I'm doing them correctly. Maybe I should try one of those free 2-week gym memberships so I can get them demonstrated to me?

POOKIE88 05-13-2004 11:34 AM

DIP glad you are back. Your posts add a lot to this forum. :D --Pookie