Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #1  

Question question

Hi all
I have been reading about people who are working one body part per week. What does this mean? Do u work like just triceps one week or is it a muscle group like arms & chest? And lastly how well is this working for you? I'm new to this and am just getting info on all the different programs. I am a mother of a 2 yr old and he keeps me busy. This sounds intriguing because its hard having your whole body sore at the same time. Sometimes I have to cahse him or pick him up and it just seems it might be easier.
Thanks
ebeth2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #2  
Mel

Hi ebeth,
What you are refering to is a split that works each body part once per week. For example, here is my current split:
Mon: Quads and Hams
Tues: Biceps and Triceps, abs, cardio
Wed: Back and shoulders
Thurs:Calves, cardio, abs
Fri: Chest, cardio
Sat: Cardio
Sun: Rest

and my previous which I liked better:
Mon: Chest and tri's
Tues: Shoulders, calves and abs
Wed: Quads and Hams
Thurs Cardio and abs
Friday: Back and bi's
Saturday: Cardio and abs

This works very well for me, but I've been lifting for ages. If you are new to lifting, I would suggest either a few weeks of a full body workout, or breaking it into upper body/lower body until you develop stamina and strengthen your tendons and ligaments enough to be able to devote a full gym session to just one or two body parts.

Starting out with a four or five day split is pretty ambitious and having a gruesomly sore chest or legs can be even worse than having a mildy sore total upper body. Also, it takes about 4-6 weeks to strengthen your tendons and ligaments to the equivalent strength of your muscles if you are either deconditioned or a new lifter.

The answer really depends on your commitment (how many days do you want to spend lifting?) and you current condition.
Hope that helps,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

One body part per week? Not me - I like doing a four-day split:

Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - back/bis/calves (heavy)
Weds - legs/light calves
Fri - shoulders

I do 4 cardio sessions a week and fit in at least 3 abs sessions a week as well.

Mel would have to give input on one body part a week - she's a certified trainer

Edit - OMG we were posting at the same time!!! Hiya Mel!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #4  
Mel

Um, Karen, one of us misunderstood the question. Ebeth- did you mean work each body part once per week or only work 1 body part per week? I'm assuming the former.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:54 PM   #5  

Cool Hmmm....

Well, the way I actually meant it was "one" body part, like just biceps all week. But after Karens explanation I think maybe I misunderstood. It makes more sense the way she explained it.
I think..... Does anybody work out only "one" body part a week?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I've never heard of working out just triceps ALL week... I would think you'd over train it and that's not good either, then when you'd get back to that part a 4-5 weeks later, you'd be starting at square one again... I think...

I do splits like Karen and Mel....cardio 3-4 times/week...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mary - I'm interested in knowing where you got the idea about working one body part each week? Just thinking it might have been in a magazine, website or book somewhere?

Muscle growth actually happens between workouts, not during. I'm pretty sure that Mel would agree with me when I say you need to give each muscle group time to recover between workouts. Actually Krista Scott Dixon has an article about that on her website called The Importance of Rest which you can find here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/rest.htm
Old 04-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #8  

Talking

Actually, I read it on this website, but it was the way I read it, "one body part a week". But like I said earlier I misunderstood.
I thought it sounded kind of odd, but I'm new at this, so what do I know?
And I didn't think far enough ahead to think about the fact that by the time u work out each body part weeks would have gone by.

So I'm sorry for the confusion. I should have given it more thought before I asked the question.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

No problemo Mary! We love to help in any way we can so ask away anytime... Join us on the main thread too...
Old 04-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

I second what Ilene said (both about helping AND joining in on the main thread!).

There's SO much info out there...and so much to learn...I'd suggest that you check out Krista Scott Dixon's website - she's got some great workout routines for beginners and LOTS of interesting info pertaining to everyone!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:40 PM   #11  

Smile

Thanks everybody for all your response.
I have been checking out all the websites. A lot of useful info, but a little overwhelming.
I was on a website recommended by 3FC today and it said the only way to burn fat was to go for a longer moderate cardio session and the another said u should go for shorter sessions with intervals. So I am feeling my way.
My son complained today that I'm always on the computer lately.
Goodnight everyone.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Just make sure it's not too much time, BUT on the other hand you do need some well deserved "ME" time. Your son will get used to it, he's just not used to Mommy taking some time for herself, after all it's been him, him, him, for the last 10 or 2 years... Take care of yourself and you'll be better able to take care of them...