Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #1  

Default Muscle soreness, or lack of

Hi Guys,

I've been lifting, using the heaviest weights I feel I can... shakin to get the those last 2 reps up. My question is that I rarely get sore. I feel like I should be getting sore, like i'm cheating or something. It makes me feel like I'm not accomplishing muscle gain. I have been lifting pyramid sets in Jan and Feb and now I've switched to slow and heavy sets. I do try and mix it up some too. What do you think? Do you gain muscle even if you don't get sore? If I up the weight my form would go out the door. I'm doing about 50 to 60 min lift sessions. any commets? I appreciate it.

Pam
geoducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Lucky 'ducky!

Pam just take it as a sign that your body is working with you! Muscle soreness is only one sign of a good workout. I have a number of clients that never experience that post exercise pain EVER! If it really bothers you find another measure of work gained, like tight sleeves etc.

If you work to the shakes or your last rep possible then you are doing the do (very old song alert there, sorry)! Remember to advance your workout regularly and your idea of micxing it up a little is good too!

50 - 60 mins sounds like a good long workout. Even if you are not lifting to any kind of max you are getting a workout. The shakes would indicate that you are on track. If you have any doubts ask your local trainer to go through your routine with yu.If you work at home then have a squiz at some of the sites recommended in other threads to give you some new ideas.

Good luck!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #3  

Can I please trade your body for mine? It's only slightly used! LOL! I would so love to have this problem-- because I ache all the time, muscles, ligaments, joints. I think you're just genetically lucky, either you are just naturally strong or you have a much higher threshold of pain than average. And maybe you're younger than me, so you haven't reached the "old fart" achey injury-prone stage yet. I'd say just be grateful, and as long as you can measure your improvements, you're probably doing better than fine.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #4  

LOL I'm 45 and have plenty of achey stuff going on. I'll get sore in the weirdest places for the simplist things... like the first good long walk after the snow melts.. my shins will be killing me. That's what makes me so suspicious of no soreness after a weight workout that I can barely make it through. Maybe it is just the way the muscles are accustomed to moving. Thanks for the replies!

Pam
Old 03-14-2004, 07:29 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Pam,

First, I love your lovebird. I am such a lovebird fan. I had one named Petey years ago and he was the cutest darn thing!

How many reps are you doing? It sounds like you're on the right track so, I doubt your lack of soreness is a sign of a bad thing. But I understand your frustration. Soreness to me means that I worked out hard. When I'm not sore, I wonder what I did wrong! Lately, I've been up-ing the weight and doing fewer reps but keeping a strong eye on my form. I get about 8 reps accomplished instead of the usual 12-15. Or, I try a different exercise that works the same set of muscle. Now, I'm sore!

Hope that helps!

Jessica
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #6  

Awww, that's great you are a lovebird fan! They are such clowns and very committed companions. My guy's name is Tinker. I also have 2 cockatiels .. and a dog and a cat, and 2 tanks pf reptiley things = animal lover.

I'm lifting 3 sets of 8 in my slow lifting... 2 counts down and 6 counts up. I do 2 to 3 evercises per muscle group. It's really killer... i should be sore! But I guess I just should be happy and not worry. Thanks again.