3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   weight lifting and not losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/36178-weight-lifting-not-losing.html)

debbiejarrell 02-03-2004 10:11 AM

weight lifting and not losing

I have been working out at the gym for 10 months and have not lost 1 lb. I am 40 lbs overweight, I feel that I should have lost something by now. I am very close to quitting. Can anyone give me any advice.

Ilene 02-03-2004 10:40 AM

Debbie...:wave:

Advice #1...Don't give up....#2...Throw the scale out if you are going to rely on it as a measure of progress...#3... Take pictures instead...#4...Use the pant-0-meter...#5... Keep coming here and we will encourage you in any shape or form we can...

Go to this link and check my progress pics... http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLi...to&PhotoID=163
From January 03 to 04 I lost 2#, if that, BUT went from a size 14 to a 10... I was getting discouraged too until I saw those pics...

So keep doing everythin "right" and all the rest will follow...

My .02 cents...

Later...

Next!?

debbiejarrell 02-03-2004 11:30 AM

lifting weight and not losing

I am wearing the same clothes and they feel the same. I have seen NO DIFFERENCE. I went from walking 1/2 hr every day to lifting weights 3 days per week. I am using the Precor for 30 minutes and using weights (light weights with lots of reps)for the other half hour. I am a fat person lifting weights 3 days per week. Something should be happening by now.

tikanique 02-03-2004 11:42 AM

Debbie,

One thing I learned at this site and at other sites is that lifting light weights will do nothing for you. If you are a heavy person, you already have some muscle - it has to carry the excess weight - so your muscle is probably not affected by light weights. Increase your weight and lower your reps. I lift at weight heavy enough so that I can only complete about 8 - 10 reps.

Hop on our weekly thread. There is a lot of very useful advice from women who have been very successful both in losing and in maintaining (Ilene is one of them). Also check out Ilene's Fit-Day journal. It's a free program that lets you track what you eat and how much energy you expend on a day to day basis.

Tiki

Meg 02-03-2004 11:51 AM

Debbie -- in my experience, most of my results are determined by what I eat (and don't eat). I can lift heavy in the gym, do hours of cardio, and get nowhere until I pay attention to the amount and type of food I'm eating.

Do you track what you eat? Do you break it down into calories, protein, carbs, and fat? If you do, perhaps you could post what you eat and see what suggestions we can offer. It sounds like you're on the right track with everything else you're doing, so maybe that's where the problem is.

Whatever you do, don't give up! We'll help you find some answers. :)

Meg

MrsJim 02-03-2004 01:37 PM

I have to agree with Meg here - nutrition is more important for losing fat than working out. (I've found that out the hard way in the past - and we've all seen those folks who work out for 45 minutes in the gym, then reward themselves with a Frappucino and a bran muffin at Starbucks!)

Even if you don't want to post your menu here for us to evaluate, it's a good exercise to write down everything you eat for a few days and log it into www.fitday.com - just to get a fix on what you're eating and how many calories you're taking in. (what has REALLY worked for me in the past is writing down what I'm PLANNING on eating the night before - then keeping the list with me the next day). Being aware - mindfully eating, if you will - is your best bet for success. ;)

SeekInnerThinChick 02-03-2004 03:17 PM

I'd just like to add that you have to be very, very patient with yourself and be ready to make the long term commitment that permanent fitness requires. In my first two years of working toward fitness, I lost thirty pounds, but if you think of that it's just a little over a pound a month. And I didn't notice anything for the first six months of work. However, and I think this is critical, I really enjoyed the exercise and that "hooked" me. Taking pleasure in the process is so very important!

Looking back, I think my body had it's own agenda, so to speak, to heal things that I had long neglected: replacing bone mass, thinning my blood, lowering cholesterol, etc. To the body, that's a much higher priority than losing fat. Having spent two years "paying my dues" and laying down a good baseline of fitness, this year I've embarked on losing fat more rapidly, and it's proceeding well. It's a kind of "deal" I've made with my body to get it as healthy as possible.

One thing that did help a lot during the process to keep me motivated was recordkeeping. I measured myself every month at the bust, waist, hips, right thigh, and right bicep. That way I could see on a spreadsheet that the process was working, slowly but surely. Quite often, the scale did not budge, but the tape did, and vice versa.

The other thing I've done is combine cardio, some resistance, diet (NOT ultra-low calorie), lots of sleep and recovery time. I know from experience that strength training alone builds me up but doesn't take off the fat very well, so my scale number does not budge. So now I do a variety of exercises about six days a week. That's REALLY working! Good Luck!

diphthong 02-03-2004 03:49 PM

Hi Debbie!

I agree with Meg and Mrs. Jim. It took me a few months to figure out what foods I can and cannot eat, protein-carb-fat ratios and of course, calories in order to lose weight. If weight reduction is you goal, I'd take the cardio 5-6 days a week over the lifting weights. Lose some weight and then start a program of womens' bodybuilding, like Tiki said, with real weights with less reps.

I've lost 70# in less than aa year, and didn't incorporate weight lifting until after -40#.
Here are my progress photos - and I look and feel even better now.

http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLift/projectdip.msnw

Don't ever give up! We all have to change things around from time to time whether it be food or excrcise routines.

dip

debbiejarrell 02-04-2004 11:31 AM

working out and not losing

I will write down what I eat today and post it tomorrow. Thanks a lot ladies.

debbiejarrell 02-06-2004 11:12 AM

working out and not losing

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having a problem posting my daily food intake. I don't know if it's because I have something against everyone seeing it, or what. I want to do it and will have to force myself to, I think it will help a lot. I really appreciate those of you that have offered your help. I have not stopped going to the gym.

tikanique 02-06-2004 12:59 PM

DJ

Why don't you just PM it to our thread gurus, Meg, Mrs. Jim and Ilene. We all have a lot of good advice and helpful opinions but if I had to send something to someone on this site to get advice / help and didn't want everyone to see it, I would send it to those three. They are smart, they know what they are talking about and they are kind. Try that, okay?

Ilene 02-06-2004 06:57 PM

DJ -- Good for you on going to the gym... Don't be shy with us we are here to help...

debbiejarrell 02-10-2004 09:51 AM

food diary

Hi everyone,

I want to thank everyone for your support. Here's what I ate yesterday. :o

2 Blueberry Yogurt Breakfast Bars
1 cupHot Tea with 2 tsp Sugar
1 cup Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
Roasted Turkey and Cheese Sandwich with Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Peanuts
Turkey Salad with Mozzarella Cheese and low fat ranch dressing
½ cup KFC Mashed Potatoes
2 KFC Chicken Strips
½ KFC Biscuit with Butter

MrsJim 02-10-2004 10:14 AM

Okay...IMO that explains why you're not losing weight.

Too much fat, too much sugar, and too much junk, not NEARLY enough veggies.

Instead of the blueberry yogurt breakfast bars (you didn't say what brand they were, but I'm betting they had quite a bit of sugar in them) why not have some hot oatmeal and an eggwhite omelette? (get some extra veggies in by putting some sauteed mushrooms and spinach in that omelette).

Hot tea isn't especially bad, but instead of sugar, use Equal or Splenda. (on these chilly mornings, I have a cup or two of green tea myself).

Don't know what's in the soup...so can't comment there (soup can be a good meal depending on how it's prepared).

The sandwich...ace the mayo and cheese, use whole-grain bread and mustard (I like Grey Poupon) stuff it with fresh veggies along with the turkey, and you've got yourself a meal.

Peanuts...not INHERENTLY bad, but loaded with calories - according to Fitday, 1/4 cup of peanuts has 212 calories...

Turkey Salad - again depends on how you made it. I'd get rid of the mozz cheese and add a TON of veggies, go very lightly on the dressing (I like the 'dip and stab' method...have the dressing on the side, dip your fork into the dressing, then stab some salad...that way you get the TASTE of the dressing without all the CALORIES).

KFC? I don't even wanna GO there...however I did go to the KFC website and here's the nutritional breakdown...

1 biscuit WITHOUT butter: 190 calories, 10 g fat (95 calories for 1/2 biscuit)
1 pat butter: 35 calories (according to Fitday)
Mashed potatoes without gravy: 110 calories, 4g fat(108g serving, which I believe is a 1/2 cup)
3 Crispy Strips: 400 calories, 24g fat (266 calories for 2 strips)

Okay - time to quote Dr. Phil here and say it's time to GET REAL. Bottom line it comes down to: How bad do you want this? How much is not being fat worth to you personally? It's your own personal decision to make...just my two cents.

My personal recommendations: Don't eat fast food, eat more veggies and whole foods, cut out the sugar and the peanuts...

Ilene 02-10-2004 11:00 AM

I'm 100% with Karen!! She knows of what she speaks and we all know of where she comes from...obesity!

Here is a sample of my menu yesterday...

meal 1 -- 1/2c dry oatmeal, 1/2 c. milk, whey protein powder in a mix of water and milk, (today instead of the whey I had 1 egg with 1/2c egg whites)
meal 2 -- 1/2c cottage cheese, 1/2c rasp. FF yogurt, 10 frozen strawberries
meal 3 -- 4 oz steak, 1/2 rice (this was left over white rice I usually eat brown rice) stir fry vegies ... everything was a left over from the night before...
meal 4 -- apple and whey powder
meal 5 -- 6 oz salmon (this is a little too much but it was yummy grilled on the BBQ) with fresh cauliflower, carrots, celery and a Ranch dip, I dip it only a bit in the dressing
meal 6 -- whey powder drink made with half skim milk and water with ground flax (I love ground flax :hun: it's good for the joints, the skin, and has a very nutty taste...)

Have you read the Dr Phil book yet? Also read anything you can get your hands on check the stickys at the top of the forum too... many great articles... specially the one "How to look good nekkid" I read that one regularly just as a reminder...

Join us on the main thread and last but not least .... Hang in there!

Later...