LWL #139 -- Week of January 26 - Feb 1

You're on Page 2 of 9
Go to
  • JC, some things don't take that much planning I doubt you need a book on it!

Tik- I'm in. I got through 3 weeks before I fell on my face last Saturday, so your challenge is just what I need to stay on track. So far yesterday and today have been right on. Are they part of the 7? Please, please....

Ilene- Congrats! I am not getting on the scale for a few days. Basically it hasn't moved in about a year, and I'm getting REALLY frustrated!

Today was rest day for me, but I shovelled snow twice, and rode the recumbent bike at the gym for 1/2 hour between working because it was too darn cold to just stand around. Not hard enough to call it cardio, but just enough intensity to be able to take off my coat and sweat shirt. Funny, my class was dripping wet by the time they were done

Tomorrow I have shoulders, abs and calves, and real cardio. Major ice storm predicted followed by more snow, so I hope I make it to the gym.
  • Mel: I am more concerned about the nutrition and stuff. Also what exercise I can do and what I can't. I just liked to be informed. Someone has mentioned taking Folic acid supplements as well to prevent spina bifida or something. I want to try and do the right things for my future children.

JC
  • Mel -- I hear ya on the scale not moving in a year... It's been about the same for me... I'm still not doing back flips yet over the 2# because I see this same 2# sooooo freakin' often... now if I see ANOTHER 2# in the next couple of weeks...welllll I MAY be on a roll back flippin'....

JEC -- When I was in the process of conceiving, Spinal Bifida was a concern because hubby had a brother born with this, he only lasted a couple of months... I read up on it and it seems that it is cause by a lack of vitamins... and I can see that happening in the older days because they did not eat as many veggies as we do today... I did also take a Folic Acid Multi Vit. that the ob/gyn gave all the women... and because of all the iron in it, it did not matter an IOTA how much fiber I ate or fruits and veggies, I pooped pellets like a rabbit... ...for 9 months... OMG I think of that now and it's a hoot but well when I was pregnant it was NOOOO laughing matter... Funny how our percieption of thinking changes over time... Anyways... pretty silly topic isn't it? As for doing stuff and not... I weight trained right till the 2 weeks before having the first one, then the nesting phase kicked in and I washed walls instead of weights... The doc had said continue what you are doing, don't start new exercise stuff, and be careful not to drop the weights ON you...for the second I stopped quite a bit earlier because D was born in September and it was an extremely HOT HOT August and I could not move, literally I sat at 200lbs in bra and undies... quite the sight lemme tell ya...we had NO pool at the time either... Now all this may be too much information for some... but it's the truth!!! I'm positive most of us who have had babies have some funny prego stories...

Tiki -- I'm in with the clean eats for 7 days... altho I just had a call from a g/f who is in town for a few days and we are going ou Friday night and that may be my free meal with some vino of course... but not alot because I will be driving....

I think it's such a great idea with the 7 day clean eats challenge that I will start a thread, not necessarily to post our menu, but if you want by all means please do, but for me to TELL what I have NOT done right....

Ok gotta go do some fitday calorie counting...

Later all... BTW, Meg, did legs today... OUCH !! OUCH !! OUCH !!
  • Whew! Again!!!
    Hey there everyone...

It seems as though I have NOTHING but busy days lately...

Today for example - I was at work at 6 am for a meeting, still moving stuff during the day, and had a followup appt with my PS this afternoon at lunch. She's THRILLED with my progress and frankly so am I! I do not regret for a millisecond getting the surgery...I feel great!

Since I had to be at work so goshdarn early, I did today's workout yesterday (generally Sunday is an "optional cardio day" for me). I'm tellin' ya, it really feels great to be back at full speed again...

OH and yesterday (Sunday) I tried another recipe out of the ETL book - the Dad's Green Chili recipe (not sure of the EXACT title, but it's on page 147). I wanted to make a big pot of something to last a few days, and this turned out wonderfully - Jim LOVES it - he liked the chicken enchildas as well. So far, two thumbs up out of two recipes tried! Now that I'm reading this thread and all the mentions of SHRIMP (mmmm) makes me want to try that Shrimp Scampi recipe that is also in the book...

Tiki - what a great idea - a week-long food challenge! I'm in too!

GOT to remember to tune in to Dr. Phil tonight - it sounds like a great show. I LOVE his weight loss challenge/Booty Camp shows - he's definitely got a good thing going on IMO!

Gotta run again...more stuff and then I'm outta here...
  • Ilene: thanks for that. I was always considering swimming for exercise since it takes the pressure off your joints so much.

Karen: I am glad that your progress is going so well - so when do we get pics?

JC
  • Count me in on the challenge ...
    I had a clean day today, which is oh so convenient since we're starting a challenge. End of the week could be tricky, since I have board meetings, which plays havoc with my eating schedule. But a challenge is just what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow (and out of the cookies and coffee that are available at EVERY committee meeting )

Tiki, I haven't mentioned it, but I LOVE seeing your happy face!

Ilene, you better have those running shoes on because I'm out to get you tomorrow morning.

Dip, you are my hero. Anything you can do, I can do, too. Or, at least I can try. Maybe it's the shrimp ...

Karen, you've about convinced me to go buy that book. I really like things that cook in a pot and can be reheated. And reheated. And reheated. I'll take it for lunch 5 days straight if I can. Food in the commons in just awful.

Hi Mel, Tidey, Ledom, Cindy, all the K(C)athies ... and everyone else, too!
  • JC-Sorry I was so flip with that comment. You are absolutely right to research nutrition and exercise. Like Ilene, I did everything I was used to up to about 8 1/2 months, including playing racquetball very competitively. Only stopped because my partners refused to play with me anymore. I think I did give up running in favor of walking once it got uncomfortable, but other than ab work, you can do just about anything. The only concern with really vigorous exercise is raise your oxygen needs so high that baby doesn't get some too.

Ilene- Boy did your "visual" bring back memories. DD was born in July in the hottest summer on record in Toronto. I was gruesomely sunburned when I went into labor, and worried that the backs of my legs would hurt Boy was I naive- And ds was born in September. We did have a pool then, and I think I spent June, July, August and half of September either swimming, or just standing in the pool reading a book

Karen- Are the recipes in the book balanced 40/40/20 for BFL and does it give nutritional breakdowns? I'm getting hungry whever someone talks about these recipes, but I hardly need ANOTHER cookbook.

Mel
  • Mel: if you mean EFL then the nutritional breakdown is available on the website and it also customises it for men, women and average.

I am still waiting on my copy from the US.

JC
  • Oh that's interesting JC, I didn't know about the nutritional breakdown on the website- what is that address?

Just finished my back/tri workout about 30 minutes ago. I can't believe I am turning into an evening workout person.

I can recommend the Turkey meatballs in EFL - I have been eating them on spaghetti squash instead of pasta. They are even better after the first day you make them, makes 6 servings.
  • http://www.eatingforlife.com/recipes/nutrition.asp
  • Indy Robin -- You're on !! Runners will be on bright and early tomorrow because I have to WORK!! a WHOLE full day!! So I will be going to the gym at 5AM... See ya there?! (so to speak...)
  • Hi all,

Just a quickie as I'm off to work again in a few minutes.

JC - Happy Australia Day for yesterday. And here, for your enjoyment is my No. 1 pregnancy tip!!! When you get tired (and you will) of sleeping on your side, and you can't sleep on your back because the weight of the bub makes you gasp for breath, go to one of our beautiful beaches, dig a "tummy-size" hole in the sand and enjoy the luxury of sleeping face-down again. HEAVEN after 4 or 5 months on your side.

Just don't forget the sunscreen!

later, dudettes
    Dove
  • Oh Yeah,

Count me in for the clean eats week

Dove

• Hi women!

Just poking my head in to say, "I'm alive, no really!" A new semester started and I've been hitting the books pretty hard. I just spent a good hour prepping for a test that is three weeks away! I'm neurotic!

My 7AM aerobics class at the school is awesome. The instructor is very energetic and I was sweating like a pig but not looking at the clock once! There's an adorable chubby black guy in my class (he's the ONLY guy) that is making it a truly enjoyable experience. I'm quite a talker in an aerobics class (you know, hotting and hollering and yelling for more) but he puts me to shame! He made me laugh the whole time. Making up his own lyrics to the music, pushing us all to do one more. The man should be an instructor. It was great.

Just made ther Cute boyfriend go out and get more propane for the grill. Clean eating this week.