Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #106  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default :)

Hooray for the weekend!!

Tomorrow is my first full on day back to the gym, the physio has cleared me and all I need to do is watch my tricep exercises as they put so much strain on the elbow.... I can't wait.

I tried on the ultimate pants o meter just now.... 6 weeks out of the gym and let me tell you. Leather bike pants don't stretch, shrink or ever change shape! I could not figure out why they were so tight (duh duh duh) until I realised I had a pair of thick leggings on underneath... I usually wear bike shorts. Back to the drawer, changed the gear and now they are not too tight. Not lying to myself, they are tighter than when I wore them the weekend for doing in my elbow being a pedestrian.... and my jacket is snug, but I was dreading the worst my friends! The scale says I have added 2 kilos (about 4.5 lbs) to my body... I was hoping??? that it was not where I already had too much!

Time to get serious..... and determined.... and fired up like I have been before, I feel that flame burning!! yeee haw!!!

We are heading out to the country today after hubby gets back from his basketball training. A friend is looking after a place with 60 acres, 8 horses and 9 dogs. Her country friends have gone to the big smoke for the long weekend, and we are heading out to the country? She took her 2 dogs and 2 horses up yesterday and is heading back on Tuesday. Nice break for her. Not sure if we are taking the bikes, we are only going for the day, and hubby has expressed the concern of my first ride out being 2 hours long each way with about 4 changes of clothes in the back pack!! Since I plan on getting some horse riding, dog petting and maybe a soak in the spa (hot tub for the northern hemispheres) plus it would be nice to have a beer or two today before hitting BFL straight on!

JC - your post was the best thing I have read in a very long time. I am so happy that you guys got it sorted out and I love hearing when 2 people work together so well. I know I don't carry my weight in the house work, I get home an hour or more after my hubby every day and he has the dishes done, dinner cooked and usually a load of laundry done before I come through the door. His momma did a fantastic job with him! Love him to pieces and I am going to try to lift my game. I do all the finances, grocery shopping and planning of meals... but I feel that he does so much more than I do. Would love to have a coffee when you are in Melbourne!

Tidey - you are a goddess! I emailed them straight away and hopefully will find a place to get the sugarfree syrup. I would have wandered all over the city looking for them!! Love the recipes too!!

to everyone else!! Hope you are all enjoying the weekend!

Clothes - - I hate them! I need petite for my short legs, womens for the curves and who ever made clothes for women with quads and a waist? I hate 'blouses' because they never fit and wear t-shirts under my suits. One of the most painful experiences in life is dragging 50 items to the change rooms and finding 1 item that fits. In the wrong color too! Although it is getting better each time I go down in size! I wish I could afford to have my clothes made, I miss my mommy the princess of sewing! She taught me but I have the patience of a child with ADD And it would cost a small fortune to buy all the equipment I had free access to when I lived in Canada.

Thanks for the great posts chickies.... Love coming to visit and love the wealth of information here.... some days I don't know how I coped without LWL!!

Until later,
Nola.

Last edited by Kanola; 01-23-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 PM   #107  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking morning all!

Thanks for all of your support. Yeah in some ways I am really lucky that hubby and I take the time to look after our relationship. Staying together through thick and thin is very important to us since we both came from divorced families.

Nola: where are you heading to? Ballarat, Bendigo? somewhere else?

Dip: it IS the weekend! woo hooo!! and LONG weekend at that!

JC
Old 01-24-2004, 07:52 AM   #108  

Happy Saturday/Sunday LWL!

Nola- Woo-hoo! Your elbow is healed and you're back in the saddle, so to speak, no pun intended. Sounds like a fantabulous weekend ahead and while we sit in the dredges of winter and cold, I can only take out my sailing magazines and dream. Also, I am quite envious that you have such a wonderful DH. Mine is so the opposite, untrained and doesn't see the value in a clean and tidey habitat. To be kind, I can only say, it is "learned behavior." But, thank God, that's about his only downfall, beside football during the season and procrastination. The more women I've talked to over the years, I find this is common amongst husbands. We are both very committed to the marriage since it's the 2nd time around for both of us, and we're still friends.

Thanks to everyone for the 'sizes' input. This is such a new adventure for me, and I don't try on clothes in the stores. I would rather buy, try at home, and take back. Especially in the winter when I have so many clothes on just to keep warm. The way my fat is distrbuted, my upper legs and arms are *not* in proportion to my waist and hips, but I'm still a pear, and don't think I am an apple at all. It's just the way the fat is going away. After your descriptions, I don't understand why juniors are fitting me better than misses and womens, but maybe it's the self-perception thing. Although I am wearing mostly athletic garb, I do need some decent pants for going out other than to shop and run errands. But such a ~wonderful~ problem to have!

I just noticed Tikanique addded her beautiful face! Hi Tik! makes it so much more personal - thank you!

Colleen - I hope to see 178-179 by the end of this coming week, but with 28% BF there is still much work to do! It's time to make a change in the exercise routine, again. I feel like I need to work the muscle more now, and just got inspired by another thread, so will start the change today. As with all the unexpected changes in this journey, my body is saying "work me harder - I want more." And I am now up to jogging on the treadmill. It's all so amusing to me at this point. Don't forget because I haven't, that you're *the one* who got me going on the idea of becoming a runner. I can't wait til the weather gets decent enough to try my newly learned skill outdoors. (giggles)

Hi to all! I need to get on with it, so I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, fun and restful weekend. Take care.

dip
Old 01-24-2004, 09:25 AM   #109  

Happy Saturday everyone.

Who was it who asked, "Why aren't we all on Oprah?" If that doesn't sum us up, I don't know what does. Except, I just dipped into the other threads that are going this morning on LWL -- there's some great advice on books and splits and tips and goals -- and I have to ask, "Why aren't we all on EVERYTHING!" Gosh, we are totally awesome, and I love us all, every one!

I don't have much to report, except that I finally got a bodyfat caliper and, according to it, my bodyfat is 25.9. That's better than I expected, but certainly not what I'd like it to be. This will help me determine my program for coming weeks.

As for clothes, I am between every size known to woman. At 5-foot-4, I could be a petite, but I am so short-waisted and so long-legged that petites are out of the question. I have to buy tall or extra-long pants because I'm long in the rise; I spend a fortune on alterations. I have a small-to-medium frame and a tiny neck -- so, I look best in size 6 or 8 blouses from the collarbone up, but since I'm squishy from the collarbone down, I need a 10 or 12. So, of course, finding blouses is a challenge. And so it goes. Ah Dip, welcome to the clothing wars.

Having said all that, though, I must admit that I love the fight. I adore clothes and accessories, and looking pulled together is important to me. I was lucky enough to meet a woman who runs a small shop here in Bloomington, who taught me how to try on clothes. She will NOT let me do what I used to do in a store: throw on a blouse, button one or buttons, and put on the skirt or pants and zip them halfway up, and then stand in front of a poorly lit mirror. Nope, she makes me put on the whole outfit -- buttons buttoned, zippers zipped. If the outfit has a jacket, that goes on, too. If it needs a belt, she gets a belt. Otherwise, she says, how on earth do you know how it's going to look? I almost always wear jackets with pants or skirts; maybe not a suit, but a jacket. So, even if I'm only buying, say, black pants, I've learned to try them on with a jacket, because that's how I'm going to wear them. Helps me get a better picture of how I'm going to look. And I always wear belts (it's the only way I'll ever have a waist). So I never try on pants or skirts without one. This all takes more time, but I make fewer disasterous purchases. Try it; you might like it

Today's an Airedale Rescue day all day. We're taking one rescue dog to his forever home in Indianapolis, and then we're picking up a second dog and taking him to his new humans in Lafayette (home of Purdue University). We won't be home til dinnertime.

So, hope all you wonderful souls have a great day. Hugs and love.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #110  
Lovin' Zumba!

Robin,
Just thought I'd mention that I'll be attending an Airedale birthday this afternoon - a friend from work has 3 of them (!) and her oldest is turning 10. Since I'm not really a big dog person, I need to gear up for an afternoon of slobber! She participates in AR as well, in fact her lastest dog was a small female from Ohio. Apparently, although we are in NY, they made an exception for her as a Rescuer and flew the dog into NY!
Cindy
Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #111  

Hello ladies,

Checking in to see how everyone is! My last login to 3fc was on 8/31! The day before I moved to Texas from California! Things are going well but hubby is still in CA, we are closing on our houses (one in CA and one in TX) this coming month. I passed the TX bar even with my brain injury and am now taking the NY bar. I've plateaued in my weight loss and have been at the same weight for about 4 months. Although I'm happy with my size (somewhat) I would like to go down another size or two so I'm slowly moving back into the workout arena. I think that if I firm up I'll continue to drop sizes. Right now I'm a 10, down from my first BFL challenge that started at size 20....but I still have a lot of muscle building to do.

For as much as I complained about my CA gym, nothing here really compares, there are full service 24 hour gyms with pools but they are a ways out of Dallas. The apt compleex where I live has a small small gym and I never feel like I hit 10s when I go there. I work a lot of hours each week but I am sure that I can get into a good routine once I finish THIS bar study.....Just wanted to say hi to everyone here and let you know I'm still around!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #112  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Saturday everyone!

I'm beginning to think that adult beverages are having a similar effect on me as sugar does. Which makes sense, but it has not been the case up to now. As part of a "free meal", I usually allow myself several drinks on either Friday or Saturday night when I'm out with friends. Last Saturday, I had 3 Cosmos with dinner, and felt sluggish and hungry when I got up Sunday morning. Last night I had 2 beers and 2 margaritas, and feel the same way today. I just can not eat enough! At least I sleep through the part where I probably don't feel so great.

Not sure how I'll handle this, as we typically go out to places that either only have beer, or where you really don't want to risk getting a mixed drink. During dinner, it will be easy to cut back and only drink water, or have one drink and nurse it. But beer is another story, since I hate it warm! I'll have to check out the ones that are considered to be "lower carb", but that will be hard, since I'm a big fan of Canadian beer. Anyone know the carb content of any Molson or Labatts beers?

I know it's only one night a week, but I'll have to come up with some type of working solution, since it's my only social outlet each week. Nobody's getting drunk, just a bunch of social drinking going on.

Changing gears, I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Going to do some more "clean sweeping" of my den - take advantage of motivation from a sunny day and get some major purging done.

Hope you gals are having a good one!
Cindy
Old 01-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #113  
Mel

Default Susan!

Hello I was thinking and wondering about you the other day! So glad to hear all is well. Are you and hubby re-uniting in the same town soon? Glad to hear your injuries didn't stop you from your dreams.

Mel
Old 01-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #114  

hello all!

glad to hear that everyone is doing well

Dip, I cant believe your progress in the time you've been posting here, seems like just yesterday to me that you joined us! Isnt it great when your body starts ASKING for more, instead of subtly willing you in front of the tv with a bag of your favorite snacks?

As for me, I just got back from back/tri's and 30mins cardio. Feelin good Eats pretty clean (had a couple m&m's after dinner, but only 5 and didnt want anymore cause they were nasty)

New idea for breakfast (for me, anyways), 1 cup cottage cheese blended with 3-5tbsp water/ff milk and a banana. blend it till tis smooth and creamy. tastes like pudding to me, and you dont have to add anything else (no pudding powder even). If you dont mind eating raw eggwhites, i bet you could whip a couple into mernangues (Spelling?) and fold them in for a mousse type dessert (put into freezer for 20mins?). My cottage cheese hating boyfriend (who lives for pudding) thought it WAS pudding!

I also just realized I have worn out my favorite gym pants! the material is nearly see thru and the seam is going along the leg so...*toss* time for some new ones, in a slightly smaller size

Tidey
Old 01-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #115  
The Salad Guru

Default food question

hey i made this really good dinner last night:
bay scallops marinated in lemon juice then coated with ground up almonds and broiled and served on top of asparagus and brown rice and i drizzled it with a little melted butter with lemon juice in it (very little).
but now i'm wondering
isn't shellfish very fattening? does anyone know how much fat there is in scallops?
i hope it's not too bad cause this was sooooo good, i'd make it again, next time scallops are on sale at the grocery store
interesting clothes fitting discussion. i have the same problem many of you have: short, meaty legs (and ample butt) and small waist. it's always been very hard for me to find jeans. i have to say, if you guys have Cosco where you live, try out the "Kirkland signiture" jeans, the bootcut is like $10 or something and they fit great! besides that it's stretch jeans for me too!
Old 01-24-2004, 05:42 PM   #116  

Susan - glad to see you pop in! Sounds like things are going very well for you

Elasky: According to fitday, 4 oz. (cooked) scallops have 149 calories (23g. protein, 3 g. carbs, and just 4 grams of fat) - sounds pretty healthy to me! The almonds of course will add a good bit of fat, depending on how much you used to coat the scallops (as will that melted butter, missy!)

Tidey: I can't wait to try that "pudding" - your "pierogie casserole" has become one of my staples, so you've got 'street cred' where recipes are concerned, in my book! Your gym short story made me laugh - I am still wearing a pair of gym shorts that I was able to wear at 240 pounds (I am at about 170 right now). There is so much extra fabric in between the legs that they look absolutely ridiculous... yes, I do believe I need some new gym clothes...

Dip - way to go on the jogging! I have NO ability to balance whatsoever, so the treadmill is not an option for me. I'm only running about onceevery week or two at this point (on days when it's not quite so cold). I'm set to gear back up in the spring, however. I've already commited myself to a 4-mile race at the end of March.

Looks like snow is heading our way tomorrow - oh how I would LOVE to have the day off work on Monday (gotta love those freebie days off)
Old 01-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #117  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Day 1!!

Hey girls!! sitting here with my oatmeal and PP.....

JC - we went up to Woodend. What an amazing property!

There are two houses, the BIG house and the cottage. The friend of the friend who was house sitting has lived in the one bedroom cottage for 7 years, rent free! She also keeps her horses there rent free as well. I would not give up that deal! The big house is rented out as the owners are living in Melbourne now. They were away too so we had free use of the whole place. We spent most of our time outside but did have lunch at the big house and even had champagne on the roof, they had an observatory! How cool! There were 7 dogs, 2 owned by the big house went into kennels for the weekend. We had my friend's rottie (she is a therapy dog and the most highly educated and well behaved animal I have ever seen!), and her rescue dog, an old grampy mongrel, then 2 dalmations, 2 border collies, and a huge wolfhound? Looked like a horse! They all spend alot of time together and we had no problems, except finding them a few times! We did not get any riding in, the champagne and beers and food took priority. Thank goodness for free day? I react badly to sugar lately... and was giggly after 2 glasses of champers.... what has happened to me? It was the most relaxing and fun day, well worth the 1 1/2 hour drive!

We drove back late last night and now today I am pumped and ready to give BFL 200%!!! I was still sleepy when hubby left for the gym, but when he gets back I am going!

We are going to a bbq today and I am planning on doing a cottage cheese and salsa dip and take a plate of veggies. And a chunk of salmon! yum yum.

Well... I am off to check my email and then talk to the Canadians too today!

Have a great one!
Nola.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #118  
JEC
Aussie and proud

oh ok woodend - yep lovely place to visit.

Anyway it's Sunday and I HAVE to shop - I have no food in the house and we are digging into the depths of the freezer to get dinner etc. At the moment DH is cooking hashbrowns for breakfast because we have no bread or eggs or cereal. OMG I feel like a bad wife. Anyways I will pop back in tomorrow once my home is back in order.

JC
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #119  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Sunday morning gals!

Just got done with today's Nordictrack cardio - had to force myself to do it, because I was feeling particularly lazy, but I did it.

Yesterday was a bad day carbwise - I went to a friend's party, and she had absolutely nothing there that was high enough protein for me. Everything was chips/breads and dips, baked pastry appetizers, quiche and very greasy chili. I tried to stick with veggies and lowfat dips as long as I could, but then I was there long enough that I just got too hungry and ended up having a few of the appetizers and some quiche. Only one glass of wine though, and I skipped the birthday cake.

I thought I had planned well enough, because I ate a good meal before I left the house, but I ended up being out much, much longer than I had planned for.

Of course, I felt crappy when I got home - I call it my "just licked an ashtray" feeling , because that is my best description of it. Had a good balanced meal, and felt a bit better.

Guess I'm learning my lesson the hard way. It's probably better to not eat, than to eat the stuff that's going to make me feel bad. Then again, it's probably better to plan better and keep a never ending supply of MRP bars in my car/purse!

Well, time to hit the shower - lots of errands to run today, and squeezing in coffee with a blind date this afternoon! Should be interesting!
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 01-25-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #120  

Happy Sunday LWL!

Well, I'm once again feeling full of P&V, and hopefully whatever the funk was has disapated for awhile, if not for good. We are awaiting a winter storm, so I got out early to get my groceries. I'll plan and prep here in a bit, after doing some lifting. I haven't done my cardio today but will do it tonite when TV is more desirable.

Picked up an application at my gym yesterday and will drop it off tomarrow, if the weather allows. Don't know what I was thinking about waiting for better weather to try out my new found skill of jogging-almost running because my gym has an indoor track. I've just gotten so used to working out at home that I don't think beyond these walls and my neighborhood any more.

Cindy - Hope you enjoy your coffee date and be sure to let us know what happens. I was thinking about what you said about alcohol and how hungry you were. I read some where that booze metabolizes into sugar, I think. Maybe Bob Greene? He is dead-set against alcohol for what it does to the body. I know I will come home ravenous if out for the evening with the girls, if a decent dinner wasn't included with the beers. So I don't drink too often; Lord knows I've done more than enough of it in my life.

Also, it dawned on me in the shower yesterday, someone asked what "mat science" is. At my gym, it's a class combinig pilates/yoga/toning, on a mat.

Tidey - Thanks for the honorable mention. Although I've really only been lifting and active here since September, I feel like it's been longer, in that once the good habits took over, and it became a way of life. I can't imagine not having LWL in my life now.

Well, it sure feels good to open the frig and see clean eats aplenty, but still see the frig less than 1/2 full. Back in the old days, it was always crammed, and soft drinks and beer were kept in volume in the basement frig. I had 6 shelves in the basement where we kept processed foods I picked up on sale, and now there is only one box with emergency food in the event of a disaster. (And everybody better be hungry enough to eat alot of tomato soup.) We still have a dorm frig in our bedroom for DH's Pepsi One, and a microwave that we used to use for popcorn. I don't even think about them anymore, only when I dust them off. The deep freeze in the garage is full of veggies from our garden and lean meat and poultry. I sit here and marvel at how much we've changed, and how much better the quality of life is since we have. I will never, ever "go back."

Have a great Sunday, and enjoy your Monday off Down Under!

dip
Closed Thread