Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:18 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down LWL #118 - Week of 1 Sept 2003

Happy Labor Day to y'all!!!

This has been such a GREAT weekend for me - and I still have today and tomorrow...my boss said I could have Tuesday off if I wanted to and NATURALLY I said YEP!

Sooooo...two guesses where I'VE been spending most of the weekend...you got it...at the stables with Dakota and the other horses the weather has been GLORIOUS here. Fall is the best time of year in the Bay Area IMO...we get this great Indian summer until the end of October usually...perfect playtime weather!

Just got back from the gym - chest and quads today and since I wasn't rushing to work I got in a 35 minute cardio session on the elliptical...gonna clean the house a bit this morning and then go see Dakota (of course). Since I have tomorrow off, Dee Dee and I are going to do some 'groundwork' in the morning...then I'm riding in the afternoon.

Hope y'all are having a *great* day!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Good Morning LWL

I had a very good weekend too, altho not as healthy and productive as yours Karen!

Saturday night I had the girls over for a BBQ, we had our last hoora for the summer. I must say we had some great laughs. It lasted way into the wee hours of the mornin'. We sat outside and drank too much. I didn't eat too much though but with all the wine does it really matter... Sunday was pretty much of a write-off for me I laid pretty low and horizontal for the day food wasn't bad per say but wasn't balanced either... But today I am just fine, I'm going to get back on track food wise I probably won't exercise but ya never know I may get the urge later this afternoon.

Tomorrow it's back to work for 3 days, I took Friday off because DH is off too, then the week after I start working 12hours/week... Woohhoo I'm looking forward to that...

Well time to go, take care all and have a great week...
Old 09-01-2003, 11:52 AM   #3  
cookies are for browsers

Good morning, all, and for you Americans - HAPPY LABOR DAY!

SO AWESOME to have a day off. Me, I have an upper bod workout for today. Gym was closed all weekend, so I am utilizing my awesome basement gym.

Mrs. Jim, hope you have fun with Dakota. I have been cleaning and getting rid of fat clothes all weekend.

Food wise, well, I am still doing some tweaking. I took a BIG free day yesterday and man did I feel awful last night! It just reminded me that I am not just doing this to lose weight - I'm doing this to feel better. I'm tired of feeling bad all the time, and BFL has really helped hand-in-hand with the ER4YT food plan. I still use the carb-protein-veggie thing from BFL, but I just keep the foods within ER4YT.

The scale is stuck again. I know I should just stop weighing myself. The stupid thing, it's a Tanita and the BF% just cannot be accurate; I had two BF% done at the gym when I started and those came in at 40%. This Tanita says that now, after 8 weeks of hard work, it's 45%. I am choosing yet again to go with the trusty pantsometer.

Almost forgot, it's measuring day.....
Bust down 2 inches (from the start)
Waist down 6 inches
Hips down 5 inches
Thigh (R) down 3 inches

I feel like I am in a holding pattern. I have 4 more weeks of BFL challenge 1. I can do this! The scale isn't budging, the pantsometer stayed the same this week. My calories averaged at 1774 per day, and that's including yesterday's free day!

When you all count calories, do you subtract your activity calories from your daily total? I haven't been doing that. I noticed on Lanaii's fitday journal (a few weeks ago) that FitDay does subtract the day's total activity calories from the eaten column.

I know, I know, be patient, my body is getting used to this new WOE (should be WOliving!) so I should just wait and stick with it. I of course am going to keep eating clean - this is making me feel much better health-wise. I just wish it worked on TOM pain.

Hope you all have a super OP week! 
Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Jennifa -- wow, 6 inches off your waist... that's great!! That is an accomplishement in itself... don't go by what my activities of the day is because all they have at Fitday is my activities when I do nothing, I don't input my workouts.... I just use it for calories... When you looked at it had I done good that day? Just the thought of ppl looking at my journal will keep me honest... gulp!!

It's also Labour Day in Canada, and it's a gorgeous balmy day, but you can feel that it's no longer summer out...

So far for me the day is good not much happening at all it's a sort of ho-hum lazy day....

Take care all....
Old 09-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi, Everyone!

Haven't posted in a long time, but I've been thinking about all of you (and lurking.) I guess I just wasn't very pleased about my lack of progress -- my husband Brian and I have continued our lifting and nutrition, and are feeling strong and healthy but NOT lean!

Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversary, and the next day we start our new "get tough" program. Until Thanksgiving: No free days. Tighter portion control. More cardio. Heavier lifting. Weekly tape-measuring. More posting here!

Hope you are all doing terrific!

Carrie
Old 09-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Carrie welcome back and we're here to helpp you...
Old 09-01-2003, 09:12 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hi Carrie! Nice to see you again.

Good luck with it all!

JC
Old 09-01-2003, 09:15 PM   #8  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Jennifa: Fitday has that function but normally you would subtract your activity calories when calculating what to consume. It's just a way to check that you have created a calorie deficit. What is your daily average calories without the free day?

JC
Old 09-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #9  
cookies are for browsers

Good morning, all!

JEC, if I take the free day out, the average is 1630 calories per day. That is not subtracting anything for activity.

Ilene, YES you had a GREAT day on fitday that day, I think you are amazing for letting us have a peek every now and then. And I only looked that one time when you referred to it in your posts. You know, it's a very "EEP" feeling that other people are looking. But then again, do a search on your posts and you will see thousands of viewers. So all you lurkers. We know you are there.

I'm a little annoyed this morning, scale is up another pound. 226. I'm looking at my food journal (thank goodness I keep one) and making a few adjustments in what I'm eating. Cleaner, cleaner, cleaner, we can all eat cleaner. I th ink part of it is that my free day left me feeling horribly bloated and sickish, this is probably leftover ick. Still struggling with the why me, why can't I eat pizza and beer on my free day without feeling like an elephant? (and no, I did not eat pizza but I did have a few beers.)

Well, I suppose it's just the way of the world. Luckily I know that almost everybody struggles with their weight - nobody gets to take it easy or they just look gross, whether they are fat or thin.

And I'm taking my frustration out on the elliptical trainer today.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #10  

Jenn you are doing great! Don't pay attention to the tanita. I have one here at work and I think the thing it totally wrong. I have had my fat checked with the calipers and then on the same day I did the tanita and itwas 5-6% higher. My hubby works with currents and he said that there is no way that thing can be right. Current is going to follow the path of leat resistance and the would be (if you are on the scale that you stand on) frojm one foot up to your hips and back down again. So, if you are a person who carried most of your fat on your lower body it will come in as a higher %. I know mine does. I only do it to see if the numbers are actually going down. I have seen my lean mass go up and my fat mass go down but the tanita says that I am actually higher in BF%. That machine is crazy if you ask me. Keep up what you are doing b/c you are doing something right!

I am so ready to get back to eating right. Illene I was like you and had more wine than I should have so I am going to get back into my logging and eating right right now! This is week 2 of C2 and I am ready to see some results ASAP!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Congrats Jenna on your awesome progress. Hope everyone had a great 3-day weekend. I was a total slug yesterday and it was great. i played Barbie dolls with my daughter, cleaned out some closets, read a really great book, and didn't get too out of whack on food the entire weekend. The weather here is getting cooler already and I am NOT liking it. Oh well, that's what happens EVERY year so I shouldn't act surprised.

Hope everyone has an awesome week both at the gym AND at the dinner table. Peace!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #12  

hi all!

had a good day! pretty on plan did UBWO (tho a lot of the dumbells were in use/missing/not put away and well hidden) and a 20MAS. Tomorrow I have a full day of class *blech* so I wont have time to get to the gym. Hopefully I can eat OK, as I didnt have time today to cook more chicken for my meals, and my protien powder has not arrived yet *sigh*

gotta run!
Tidey
Old 09-02-2003, 07:55 PM   #13  

Way to go, Jennifa!
Keep up the good work.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #14  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Jenn: Why don’t you post a sample menu and we can do a little trouble shooting for you? You should be losing at that calorie level but it may come done to your macro nutrient combinations.

Kemp: You are so right on the Tanita. Once a trainer at my gym had measured my bodyfat at 24% and decided to cross check it with the Tanita. The stupid thing read 32% and the trainer said ‘No way’ – you don’t have triceps like yours at 32%. So I learnt then and there how useless it is especially for muscley types.
Good luck with your challenge!

Tika: Hi!

Tidey: which protein powder did you buy? I bought some of the Biotest Grow! last week but am not to fussed on it. I don't like the sweeteners they use in American Protein powders - ours are much lighter in taste here.

Me? Well I am doing well. I helped train a friend last night which was cool. I did back and shoulders myself and put Beth Horn raises back into my routine so my shoulders are sore already. NHE food is going well again and I have my first carb up tonight. Pants are starting to loosen up as well. Life's grand! - where is everyone though?

JC
Old 09-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #15  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Sorry Laural we posted at the same time! Hi there!!

JC
Closed Thread