3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   dumbbell advice needed (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/308896-dumbbell-advice-needed.html)

Katz 04-01-2016 07:40 AM

dumbbell advice needed

Hi!

I would like to get into weight training (at home) and would like to buy adjustable dumbbells.
I would like to know how heavy hand weights I should get. I´m in my 30s, and do not plan to train for competitions just to improve my shape. I know it's a tricky question but how heavy weights should I consider? There are 10 kg (ca 22lb), 15 kg (ca 33lb), 20 kg(is that an overkill?) sets.
Anything else to keep in mind buying dumbbells?
Ladies, please share your wisdom.

Defining 04-05-2016 05:54 PM

I'd suggest you splurge on a set of dumbells where you can change the weights. They usually come with some 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb plates. That way, you can customise how much weight you're lifting depending on which exercise you're doing. It also allows you to increase the weight as you get stronger! 😊

Jenny_G 05-31-2016 04:59 PM

Definitely see which would be more cost effective! I always think that having at least 1 kettlebell is important too. Try getting a few sets of dumbells- I usually suggest 7 or 8lb dumbells and 10 or 12lb dumbells. A 15lb kettlebell or more is great to start. If you feel like you really need to start from the ground up, 5lb dumbells is a good place to start and work your way up. Too much weight can definitely cause an injury. If you see that getting a few sets of dumbells and a kettlebell is more expensive than the dumbells that you can just change, then that could answer your question!

Durian 06-15-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defining (Post 5251864)
I'd suggest you splurge on a set of dumbells where you can change the weights. They usually come with some 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb plates. That way, you can customise how much weight you're lifting depending on which exercise you're doing. It also allows you to increase the weight as you get stronger! 😊

This.

strongchic77 09-21-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katz (Post 5250702)
Hi!

I would like to get into weight training (at home) and would like to buy adjustable dumbbells.
I would like to know how heavy hand weights I should get. I´m in my 30s, and do not plan to train for competitions just to improve my shape. I know it's a tricky question but how heavy weights should I consider? There are 10 kg (ca 22lb), 15 kg (ca 33lb), 20 kg(is that an overkill?) sets.
Anything else to keep in mind buying dumbbells?
Ladies, please share your wisdom.

I suggest buying adjustable dumbbells,ones where you can add and remove plates.I started with 10lbs and went from there.

Katz 09-23-2016 07:56 AM

Thanks for the advice! I got a set of 20 kg adjustable dumbbells. Now all I need is to stick to the program. Some days it's so hard to get off my butt.

MICKEL 04-04-2017 07:10 AM

Well i would say you should buy a set containing 10,15,20 & 25.
Another strategy is to buy adjustable weights.

Denise_Taylor 08-17-2019 03:00 PM

I have 5lb, 8lb, 10lb, 15lb & 20lb dumbbells.