Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:19 AM   #16  
Meg

Wow — it’s like a family reunion! Mox and Tika and Jessica are back! I feel like I’m Ma Walton and I should cook a turkey or something … Now all we need are Adriana and Niffer and Sel, to mention a few more …. don’t stay away if you’ve hit a rough patch — maybe we can help.

First question of the morning: ILENE! (yes, I’m yelling — trying to wake you up) — how was your day yesterday? Did you hit your three goals for the day? And “mee-oww” on your answer to my neighbor — good comeback, but I’d never have the nerve to use it! (I never can think of snappy comebacks in time in situations like that — I just stand there with my mouth hanging open) Why do people feel like it’s OK to make cracks like that but would be deeply offended if you commented on the size of their butts?

Mox -- sounds like life has hammered you lately. Hope things will settle down for you. I don’t have any advice on the pinched nerve other than just taking it easy and listening to your doctor. It’s great to have you back again!

Jessica -- I know what you mean about hitting a groove — it makes it so much easier. Wish it was always that way …. sometimes you just gotta fake it.

And Kempyd -- I hear you about the labels — I’ll pick up something that I’ve been eating forever and check the label and be surprised. Sometimes it’s my fault for not checking carefully in the first place but sometimes I think they change product formulations and calorie counts, so it pays to re-check every now and then. For example, DH and DS are lactose-intolerant, so I look for chocolate chips without milk products added to then. Certain brands change their formulation seasonally, so I never know which kind is safe until I check the label. I spend a lot of time in the grocery aisles, squinting at ingredient lists!

Tik -- way to go on getting back on track! I could just feel your resolve jumping off the page at me when I read your post. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much strength you’ve maintained — see Raven’s post from last week thread. You can’t undo all the hard work you’ve put into your body in that short of a time. And a lot of that 10 pounds is probably water. You’re a woman on a mission and no one’s going to stop you now!

Kanola -- you are so close to the end! Be sure to let us know about your final results — I’m sure they will be fantastic!

Today is house cleaning and chest day — one I want to do and one I don’t (bet you can guess which is which). My goals for the week (and I want Ilene to yell at me about them every day):

-- gallon of water every day
-- totally clean food until Saturday night (dinner out then and I’ll loosen up a little)
-- no BLT’s
-- keep the calories and carbs DOWN — I’ve been letting them creep up by telling myself “oh well, at least it’s clean food” — true, but it still counts as calories and carbs
-- not weigh myself until Saturday AM — this is the hardest one

For the dinner out on Saturday night — I bought a purple flowered silk top and wrap skirt and the top is a halter! I’m not sure that I have the nerve to wear it — a first for me — and I had to buy one of those bizarro bras with the criss-crossy straps that I get all tangled up in. DH may have to call 911 to disengage me — they may need the Jaws of Life to set me free.

Have a great day, ladies!

Meg

Last edited by Meg; 07-15-2003 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:32 AM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

MEG!!

Yes I mean YOU girl!!

Quote:
-- gallon of water every day
-- totally clean food until Saturday night (dinner out then and I’ll loosen up a little)
-- no BLT’s
-- keep the calories and carbs DOWN — I’ve been letting them creep up by telling myself “oh well, at least it’s clean food” — true, but it still counts as calories and carbs
-- not weigh myself until Saturday AM — this is the hardest
....other than the weighing myself (you see Meg *I* do NOT weigh myself ) Your goals and mine for the week are exactly the same... yesterday I did not drink a gallon but I did at least drink 8 glasses... I ate clean but NOT low carb or fat for that matter .... Your no. 4 Meg is exactly how I've been thinking lately, "oh well at least it's clean food..."
see my journal....
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Month=6&Day=14
... it's not a pretty sight!!! and Meg girl, ahem, I was looking at YOUR journal for yesterday.... Now you be a good girl today ....K??

Mox -- Welcome back girl!!

Jessica -- yes we are all here to keep each other OP, and we aim to do that... Now you be good girl today too ... K?? Big Ilene, I mean Brother is watching!!!

Yesterday must of been a good leg workout because my butt is sooooo sore today... I did deadlifts, so that must have done it or maybe the leg presses which I did 10 sets of going from 300 lbs to 420lbs, 10 reps each.... when you think about it that is 100 reps!!

Later girls.... have a good day....
Old 07-15-2003, 07:42 AM   #18  
Meg

OMG Ilene -- you caught me! All I can say in my defense is at least I always write it down and total it, ugly though it may be.

Meg

PS -- and that's precisely why I keep my journal public, embarrassing though it is -- otherwise I'd "pretend" that certain things never happened -- like I can really hide them on my hips ... check me out tomorrow, chickie!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

@ Meg
Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

okay, y'all I am so PROUD of me. i ate clean yesterday - yep the whole entire day. I didn't get in all my water, but i didn't eat anything that I shouldn't have had. i even passed up baked pasta and cheese and had cottage cheese and fruit instead and it was GOOD! to top it off, I wrote it all down. journaling is very important.

Meg, I bet you will look absolutely beautiful in your outfit. and if the bra gets too confusing, then just go to Victoria's secret and get the tape on ones that have no straps. they really work great.

Ilene - you sure did catch her didn't you! I bet you won't catch her again this week. Meg, don't make me lose my bet!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #21  

Good for you tik! You can work on the water today.

Meg does your top have a built in bra? I will only buy tanks if they have that built in, that way you don't have to wear a bra. If the chill is a factor. (if you know what I mean) just cover up with band aids. I have never tried the ones from VS so I don't know to much about them.

Ok I know that I have 6 weeks in the BRx plan but I am dying here. I am doing good with the food and if my boss would stop screwing up my wporkouts I would be good there too. My problem is that I am so used to dropping weight on my other plans as soon as I start. I know this is a slow process and I am not going to get off of it but I am just kind of bummed. OK, I feel better now. I have told you guys so now I can get on with the program.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

kempy,

when i started brx, i got bummed out about the same thing, but then i started looking at something different. go to the mirror and flex your thigh muscles and your bis and tris. i bet you will see results there and that can be such a motivator.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #23  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi ladies!

I stayed OP all day yesterday and felt really good about it. I drank so much water and then had some watermelon, I was at my desk for like a half and hour all day. I should have just rolled my computer into the bathroom.

I started taking the glucosamine today and I'm really hoping it works. I have dance practice tonight so, I'm going to be very careful about the knees.... okay, I'm going to TRY to be careful, it's hard when you love doing something, you just forget when you're trying to take it easy. I think I'm going to swim for my cardio tomorrow instead of the elipitcal. We'll see. I've not worn my bathing suit at the gym before so I might chicken out.

Tiki - Way to go chica! You're doing great! Keep it up!

Kempy - Bummer about your workouts. I totally understand. Hang in there!

Meg & Ilene - You girls are awesome.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:54 PM   #24  

Default OP but SLEEPY...

At least I'm not hungry...
I have been working on home gym and stretching... This morning I didn't have to get up early, so I woke up "naturally"... (I know, lucky me)... but it was almost NOON. Good grief! Will the fatigue go away or am I working out "too hard"? DH says I don't know beans about moderation, and at least some of the times he's right!
I wish my motivation was more multi-directional... I am ONLY thinking about food/exercise... have completely blown off housework, friends, creativity and my business.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #25  
mox

Red face Tuesday

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome back. Meg, I do feel like it's a family here -- that it's a safe environment to get/give encouragement. So, thanks!

I've been doing some very gentle stretching, which seems to be helping my back pain. Notwithstanding my recent forays into the doc's office, I feel very fortunate that it's not anything really serious; I'm confident that things will get back to normal soon and am already planning my next trip!

My goal this week is to watch what I eat. Even if I can't work out very much until the nerve-thingy heals, I can eat healthy stuff. I have a tendency to either be 100% on-plan or 100% off-plan. I'm hoping to practice some moderation until I can get going again.

But, I think weight loss and loss maintenance takes super-normal effort. A doctor I onced talked with said that, for most people, keeping a significant amount of weight off was the same as training for the Olympics -- it requires extraordinary dedication and constant diligence. Like a premier athlete, a premier weight reducer (I first used the word "loser" but didn't think that sounded right ) needs to be persistent and put eating well and working out as a top priority.

Well, that's what I've been thinking about today. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ciao, Mox
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 PM   #26  
Ilene the Bean

PainterWoman -- Don't worry about the fatigue, you WILL eventually get used to it... I am tired all the time too actually I snooze every afternoon when I can...Sometimes it'll be a catnap, other times an hour, depends if I'm working or not.... Moderation! Well I rarely do anything in moderation so I know where you are coming from...IMO everything will come together in time but just give it that time because your health is the most important thing because if you don't have health you won't be able to do all those other things.... my .02 cents.... Just go to bed earlier, my kids now come and kiss ME good night!!

Food wise I wll fess up and tell everyone that I did have ice cream today!! I finished off my son's cone because I yanked it out of his hand and gobbled it down!!!! NOT but I finished it off and it was very good... But on the up side I have been drinking all my water!! Oh well back to the drawing board tomorrow...

Have a great evening girls!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:23 AM   #27  

Default Go to bed early????:lol:

Well, that WOULD be one way to get more sleep.
So here I am up after 1 am, when I need to be up by 6:15. mmmm. I'm beginning to see the problem.

Did 3rd consecutive home gym routine... Previous weight loss attempts have involved resting on my butt trying to decrease weight, or focusing on "gentle walking" rather than building muscle. This time I thought I'd build muscle FIRST. What say y'all experienced folks?

Lanaii, thanks for the encouragement.
It would be SO neat if I were stronger than lazy bones DS when he visits at the end of summer!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:35 AM   #28  
Student of the Hoof

Hiyas PainterWoman My experiences with lifting over the last 6 months or so have been that when I first started lifting progressively heavier weights, I started gaining pounds. I bulk out very quickly, that's just my mixed blessing. It was discouraging on one hand, but I really tried to remember that the more muscle I put on, the more calories all that muscle would burn on a daily basis just sitting there. It took a while for it all to catch up with each other. I am now maintaining at a comfortable lifting weight and not pushing it any higher for the time being. I too have a problem with moderation, and tend to push myself harder every workout. I found that ultimately led to a big burnout. It's difficult at best for me to quit before I'm near collapse, but this last couple weeks I've been doing better, and I find that I am continuing to lose and I am not completely, totally exhausted all the time.

I think each person needs to find their own "tweak" for their own body and lifestyle. I know that running has been a big plus for me. I'm up to 2 - 2.5 miles now, and when I started I could barely walk at 3.5 mph without getting winded.

I do know too that I was simply not eating enough. I am fighting what I loosely term the "fat anorexic" syndrome. Every time I would start a "diet" I would panic if I put *any* food into my mouth. I'd end up eating something like 450 calories a day and working out like a maniac, of course culminating in virtual collapse and failure. I used fitday to convince myself that I could actually eat (right now I average around 1500 - 1700 calories a day) and still lose weight. But it took months to really accept that.

Hmm.. didn't mean to turn this into a book. In any case, lifting is a GREAT thing. It brings strength into your life, physical, mental, emotional. And it seems that you are a creature of extremes, too - as it seems so many of us are.

How old is your son?

And speaking of running... I'm off to do exactly that. Fairly OP with food, though I did indulge a bit last night with some linguini with clam sauce. And LOTS of garlic!

Tonight is Nickie's first riding lesson, and I think I'm more excited about it than she is. We got her some heeled boots last night - the real riding boots will have to wait till there's a little more cash in the coffer. Though Rosa (the instructor) mentioned that she has a brand new pair of breeches which might fit Nickie - if they do, she'll sell them to us for a good price. She also mentioned that she has a lot of work to do around the stable, and could always use help... I'm wondering if Nickie might be able to work off some of the lesson costs? Hmmmm... I'll ask her about that one tonight, if we get a chance.

Hope everyone is having a great week so far!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:34 AM   #29  
Ilene the Bean

Painter -- GO TO BED!!!!....

On the weights front, got for the musKles girl, that's why you hang out with the LWL group, isn't it? ... and I KNOW you aim to stick with us!!! I've been doing weights now for 18 years and for the most part I always strive to up my weights every single time and reach for some 10's... As Raven has said at first you still have the "scale" "loose pounds" mentality, but once you see the muscles popping out and the "mirror" and the "pant-o-meter" showing you the difference in your body composition, you'll understand... I doubt that I will ever stop doing weights I do love it and it's an addiction, and a good one at that....

SOO just hand in there and go to bed for gosh sake girl... don't blame the workouts if you're up at 1AM!!...

Meg --- na na na noo noo!!! I'm up before you are girl!!! How was your day yesterday!! Mine wasn't good....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.... but it's 6:30 and I've already had 2 large glasses of water, I didn't make it to the gym... no excuses, just lazy... but I'll do something today, I'm not worried about that....

Laters gaters....
Old 07-16-2003, 08:35 AM   #30  
Meg

Talking Yoo Hoo -- Ilene!

Ilene — you only *think* you’re up before I am! — I’ve been to the gym for cardio, stopped by Starbucks, done laundry, dragged DS out of bed and sent him off to recording school, and paid the bills already. Thanks for asking about my day — it was a terrific day yesterday: got in all my water, hour of cardio, awesome chest workout, and I did a little compensating for my high calorie day and went way low — but just for a day. Today’s plan is back to normal eating (all clean), arm workout, more cardio, and housecleaning! I want to hear about YOUR good day today, OK?

I’ll be back later — much to do!

Meg
Closed Thread