New Rules of Weight Lifting! (2014)

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • So it's now the last day of August, and I am well into Stage 6 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been really enjoying having a routine to follow when I walk into the free-weight section. It gives me a sense of purpose and I never walk out wondering if I could have done more or if I did the right thing, if it was helping at all or if I was even progressing. So many of the women at my gym seem to be at a loss of what to do when faced with a rack full of weights, but they are impelled to go there nonetheless, because there is a craving for some kind of strength training.

For all that, I can't say this program has been easy. There are some fussy sequences, and some of the workouts kept me in the gym for more than two hours at a time. Now the workouts have gotten shorter again, but man, I thought I would give out or give up during Stage 5 -- I am glad I made it over the hump.

At the end of Stage 6, I'm supposed to be able to do an unassisted pullup. I'm doubting this one because of my bodyweight. But it's possible that I may manage a single chin-up. I will take my victories wherever I can find them.

I will report back then.
  • I had a nice time at the gym today. Did an hour.

Did some nice squats.
  • Love the feeling of the workouts
    Thanks for starting this thread. I started NROLFW 3 weeks ago - Stage 1 doing 3x workouts per week, and I absolutely love it.

So, I'm really pleased I found this thread, and look forward to sharing info.

I tend to get weaker around period time, which is right around the corner for me, so I had to lessen the weights this week by about 5 pounds. But, overall, as long as I lift at my 15 rep max, I can feel those endorphins coursing through.

As for being at the gym in the weights section - honestly, the guys are very cool. No one bothers me, and if I need help they are every so helpful. I tend to be the only female in the section, but I have seen other females (the really super fit ones) in the weight training area from time to time.

I notice that the the vast majority of the overweight gals are on the treadmill or bikes - doing steady state cardio at a moderate pace. Otherwise, you get the odd slim one that is stomping away really fast for an hour on the treadmill - but these types never have muscle tone. I never used to notice these little trends in the gym before

What I really like about this NROLFW workout is that it's both resistance and cardio at the same time. Also, I can be out of there in 30 minutes (but tend to be out within 40 after my stretch and cool down).

I decided to do this workout after I read the rave reviews over on BB.com with amazing transformation pics. It took time, and it took dedication - but if the workout feels this good, dedication is not an issue (for me).

I haven't lost any weight YET, but then I'm not following an eating protocol either. I'm an 80/20 eater - 80 healthy - 20 indulgent. I have about 25 pounds to shed (or at least look like I've shed them!) I did take measurements before I started but I'm in no hurry to remeasure. (I'm secretly hoping that I will lose without having to go on some drastic keto diet!). I have upped my protein though.

I actually want to let my clothes tell me ultimately. I am hoping that I will be able to notice when my trousers get a little looser around the waist and hips.

Anyway, I look forward to posting updates from time to time. And, I also look forward to reading everyone else's updates as they go through the stages!

Enjoy!
    Meli
  • Nearing the end of Stage 6, and it's interesting to see that my strength has increased since my earlier posts on this thread.

No problem doing eight consecutive underhand grip lat pull-downs at 112.5 lbs., then, after a pause, banging out three more.

On the Smith machine, weighted lunges with 27.5 lbs worth of plates on either side (25 + 2.5), I can do 10 consecutive without an issue.

Also no problem doing 20 consecutive pushups.

I do not think I can do an unassisted chinup. When I try the Gravitron, I still need about 20 lbs of assistance to do a chinup from a dead hang. I've gotta wonder, if I lost those 20 lbs, could I manage it? Something to ponder.
  • Hey Saef,

Apart from gaining strength, any other changes you've noticed?

You are an inspiration
  • Back here to report that I have officially completed Stage 6.

My encounter with the assisted pull-up machine confirmed what I wrote in my earlier post: I still can't perform an unassisted chin-up from a dead hang. If I set the pin at No. 5, which is 22 lbs. of assistance, that is, 22. lbs subtracted from my body weight, I am able to do a chin-up. So, yeah, I can get stronger, or I can lose about 20 lbs.

Mel, you asked what changes I've noticed since April, when I started the program:

1) My body looks firmer, particularly when I'm clothed. My back, shoulders, legs and butt benefited a lot from training.

2) I feel confident when walking into the free-weight section. I know what I'm doing there. Lots of people there look aimless. Not me. I'm not just picking up weights at random and performing exercises that I vaguely remember reading about someplace. I've got a mission, I know what I lifted the last time and I'm trying to go heavier or do more reps.

3) My ham-strings are stronger and looser than they've ever been. This is probably because I never trained my legs. I figured the StairMaster, arc trainer, elliptical and spin classes would take care of my legs. It was a revelation to me that a full-body program with leg work would really help me.

4) My aesthetic standards have readjusted themselves. Now that I understand how hard it is to build up muscles, that is what I value. I don't consider thinness or low weight to be my goal. In fact, I look at some women in the gym and think: "That's too frail-looking for me, that's not what I am working toward." This isn't a judgment on them as much as me saying, "No, that's not a role model."

5) You may not like this one: I've gained weight on this program. I'm up about 5 lbs. since April. Some of this is muscle, obviously, because I can see my trapezius is prominent and my arms have changed shape, as well as my butt. But some is fat, because I consciously upped my protein intake as advised. If I counted calories, that might not have happened, but I don't count calories, due to my history of eating disorders; I tend to become obsessive and miserable if I track everything. It's probably possible to maintain weight or lose weight on NROLW, but that wasn't my primary goal on the program.

6) I may have sacrificed some cardio fitness on the program. I can't tell, as I haven't gone for a run lately. My time in the gym is about the same, but I reduced my cardio work to fit in more strength training. I still do cardio four days a week, but not every. single. day. That's what I used to do. I believe I have a more balanced routine. But reducing cardio and increasing protein probably led to the weight gain I've experienced.

I still have to complete Stage 7, which I'll start on Tuesday morning, so I'll hold off a grand summation of NROLW till then.
  • Done with Stage 7, and done with New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Took me from late April to October 14th, doing its workouts three times a week. On the other days, I took spin class or used the elliptical. I also took a Pilates class twice a week on my cardio days.

Weight gain, no weight loss, but considerable strength and muscle gain.

And I now realize that I never want to be without a strength-training program that is systematic and professionally crafted. There is a big difference between committing oneself to that and just messing around in the free-weight section randomly.
  • Quote:
    And I now realize that I never want to be without a strength-training program that is systematic and professionally crafted. There is a big difference between committing oneself to that and just messing around in the free-weight section randomly.
    I disagree. Any exercise is better than sitting on the couch (or being forced to do nothing, like you have to on IP).

The real keys to success are consistency (i.e. just keeping at whatever you do in terms of exercise, and constantly trying to push it to the next level) plus diet (i.e. eating right to fuel what you do).

The 'what' you do in terms of exercise does really not matter as long as you stick with it and it pushes you.

• Quote: And I now realize that I never want to be without a strength-training program that is systematic and professionally crafted. There is a big difference between committing oneself to that and just messing around in the free-weight section randomly.
    I love to look at and adapt parts and concepts from specific strength training programs and methods put together by professionals, but for me, it's my own instinct and love of variety that keeps me committed and consistent. I rarely do the same workout twice and am always experimenting or just randomly getting something done. That works best for me, but there certainly is merit in adhereing to programs as well.
  • Quote: Done with Stage 7, and done with New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Took me from late April to October 14th, doing its workouts three times a week. On the other days, I took spin class or used the elliptical. I also took a Pilates class twice a week on my cardio days.

Weight gain, no weight loss, but considerable strength and muscle gain.

I'm getting back into New Rules after a hiatus. I had made it through Stage 2 but am restarting Stage 1 following my old training log.

Since you have finished, and enjoy having a professionally-crafted training program, my question is: What have you been working on now that you have completed New Rules?
  • I was working on Bret Contreras' "Strong Curves" program and was six weeks into it when I got hit by a car while walking to the gym one morning.

I have a tibial plateau fracture, had a rod, pins and plate inserted in my left leg, and I'll be non-weight-bearing for eight weeks at least. I'm using a walker right now.

So I'm not going to start a program until I've finished physical therapy and have a go-ahead. That may be some months ahead.

Today the physical therapist said I still have good upper body strength, even after a month of mostly bed rest or sitting up, and I have particularly strong quads, even on the injured leg despite some muscle atrophy. She usually gives people just four exercises but has given me seven to work on because I am more willing and motivated than many patients she sees.

I'm still glad for having completed the systematic, professionally designed program because it helped me balance my strength on all parts of my body, particularly in my posterior chain, including hamstrings and glutes, and my back muscles. I had to do the stuff that wasn't fun or interesting & that worked on parts of my body that I can't see. The physical therapist said this will help me a lot with rehab.
  • I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm in Stage 1; completed workout 4 last night.

I'm cheating and already added HIIT. I was already pretty active and 6 weeks seemed like a long time for someone who's trying to lose fat to not do cardio.

NSV for me: for years I've always consumed caffeine before workouts, but insomnia forced me to very significantly reduce my intake. So I'm doing these workouts in the PM - UNCAFFEINATED. Good job, honey. (This is what I tell myself when I deserve a little praise.)
  • Quote: I disagree. Any exercise is better than sitting on the couch (or being forced to do nothing, like you have to on IP).

The real keys to success are consistency (i.e. just keeping at whatever you do in terms of exercise, and constantly trying to push it to the next level) plus diet (i.e. eating right to fuel what you do).
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE. Consistency.
  • I am 61 years old, 5'7 and weigh 220 pounds, also have bad knees. Will I be able to do this? I have weights at home but don't want to buy something that I won't be able to do. Thanks for your help.