Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:18 PM   #16  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

You're a winner JC, a Masters and a soccer score!!! Way to go.

Mel, I ate your chocolate pancakes for my last meal every night last week. I have really gotten it down, instead of blending I just briskly stir. The cottage cheese and oats give it a nice texture. The whites make a light and airy pancake almost like a chocolate souffle to end my day. My mother grew blackberries and I just lay a few on the batter after I pour it in the pan. Flip, serve, sf syrup, and I'm in heaven. Yes, I lick the plate.

OK, my body is telling me something. For 3 days in a row I had horrible gas (bloating, belching), attacks. Not your run of the mill ones, but rolling in agony ones. It has really gotten my attention. I was oh so careful about what I ate today. My first suspected culprit is the protein powder I use for my after workout shake. It is after breakfast, after I work out, have the pp and then have lunch that I it has occurred. It could be too much food after working out, I don't know. I didn't have it today and I also didn't workout today. Gall bladder ? I am going to be so #!$$#% off it is something like that.

Last edited by ledom; 07-07-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:58 PM   #17  

JC: CONGRATS!!!

Sounds BRUTAL. 18 case references? egad. One thing about stupid bar review is that the professors are so smitten with their knowledge of cases they keep throwing them in and we don't need to know them for the bar.

I am going to study about another 45 minutes, wash my face (using Obaji routine and it's quite the chore ) and brush and waterpik my teeth (lazy woman's nightly flossing but as someone who once had peridontic problems I know it works. I use full strength Listerine and hydrogen peroxide in my "reservoir" and my dentist is duly impressed with the results ) and go to bed so I can get up at 2 and hit the gym.

Does anyone have a good low sugar barbque sauce?

g'night all!

Susan
Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 PM   #18  
JEC
Aussie and proud

get up at 2?? Is that am??

Damn!!

JC
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #19  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Mel: chocolate pancakes??????

Lana: By the way I tried the sesame chicken and it was sooo yummy!!

JC
Old 07-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #20  

Default Good morning!!

I tried Shanny Cakes - specifically, Ilene's recipe. They tasted very good, especially with some SF syrup!! They didn't fill me up very well though - I did not add the whole egg to it, just the whites. I will have to play with it a bit more.

LBWO went well last nite...........I still don't feel as worked out as when I do UBWO. And I feel like such a clutz doing lunges and squats....I constantly lose my balance

Only a couple of more days, then I am off to Seattle!! I really look forward to it

Have a good day all!

Robin
Old 07-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

JC -- So happy to hear that you tried and liked that recipe....

Susan -- Does the peroxide whitten your teeth? If so could you let me know the ratio of Listerine and peroxide you put it? Thanks for the info...

I had a so-so workout this morning... I went to bed too late... got up later... 5am instead of 4:30, makes a difference ya know! Then it's very humid here and it seems to be draggin me down... my weights were very low this morning... Oh well I guess we all have to have some not so good workouts....

Yesterday food was excellent... Yay!!!

Later all...
Old 07-08-2003, 09:09 AM   #22  
Mel

Default Chocolate Pancakes

JC- Choc pancakes are either shannycakes w/ a tablespoon of cocoa and some sort of sweetener and vanilla thrown in, or just the oatmeal/eggwhite variety w/ cocoa and sweetenerand vanilla. If you can afford the fat and calories, sprinkle some walnuts on top- I can almost think they are brownies.
mel
Old 07-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #23  

JC: yes that is 2 am. DH leaves for work at 4:30 am and DD is not yet 10 so we can't leave her home alone. I do my workout and get home in time for him to leave. Then I study a few hours and then get her up for day camp. I take her to day camp, come home and study until I fall asleep for a mid afternoon nap. I actually REALLY like this schedule but don't think there is a law firm on earth (certainly not a litigation firm) that will accommodate my schedule.

Ilene: I don't know if the peroxide whitens my teeth but I would assume it must have some whitening effect. It really keeps my gums in good condition. In fact, when my son was assaulted last October he was in the hospital and then out of it for about 3 weeks. I couldn't get him to stay awake longer than 2 minutes and he didn't brush his teeth for days and days even though he is normally extraordinarily particular about his hygiene (typically he showers twice a day and brushes and flosses). When he started to "come to" he was dismayed to find his gums were bleeding when he did brush his teeth and even after a week or so of brushing 3x a day, they still bled. I bought him a Waterpik and told him to put the Listerine/peroxide in it and use it a couple of times a day. Within days it cleared up. He said they felt better than they ever had and now he, like me, is a Waterpik addict.

I had my teeth whitened by the dentist and had the molds done of my teeth. So now when I need a touchup I just order the whitening gel over the internet and use the molds for a few nights. I fill my Waterpik reservoir about 3/4 of the way with warm water and then I just pour in some peroxide (about 1/4 cup) and then some Listerine - just a couple of Tablespoons. I don't really measure most times but I keep a lot of peroxide on hand. If my gums are bothering me, I will swish straight peroxide around in my mouth when I'm done Waterpiking and brushing.

Well that's a lot more about teeth and gums than you'd ever want to know. Sorry for going on and on, my teeth are the bane of my existence.

Off to study..............

Susan
Old 07-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #24  

Well I am on day 2 of BRx and so far so good. I think being able to eat fruit is really helping me. I have major sugar attacks at night. I would like to thank my parents for that. Last night I didn't even run to the kitchen to search for something. Hubby wasn't even home and usually that is when all **** breaks loose in the kithcen. I didn't get a chance to workout yesterday. I had to many errands to run when I got off work. Being gone for a week really put me behind. Plus the dog was in the garage since her pen is dead and I didn't want her to tear anything up. (is tha enough excuses?)

Susan I am thinkiong about getting a waterpick now. I hate to floss. My dentist said it is just like working out, some poeple will, and some people wont. I hate to say that I am one of the ones that doesn't floss. I do use a sonicare and that helps lots but I know it isn't enough. Do you recommend a certain one or are they all the same?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #25  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

My day has started off w/ a good workout. My friend and I did a hike this a.m. and I just finished chest and tris. I can feel righteous the rest of the day.

Ilene I think it'll be a long time before I try to stand on my head. My tape doesn't include that, there are some very complicated, tie yourself in knots sort of moves though. I bought a yoga book this weekend, just loved the pictures in it. It is Yoga for People Over Fifty. I am not there yet, but I think yoga is something to look forward to in my 50's.

Mel, the ratio you use for your pancakes seems just about perfect to me. Nicer than I remember shannycakes - hope you don't mind if I quote your recipe here again cause it's a keeper.

"Mel's recipe of the day: PMS or TOM Pancake

4 egg whites
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/3 c. oatmeal(dry)
1 tbs. cocoa (unsweetened)
dash vanilla
2 packs sweetener of choice
Wing it around in the blender till smooth, cook like a pancake.

This just saved me! I may add a few walnuts or flax for the lunch version- the fat is kinda low."

I would just add that it is also delicious w/ a few blackberries or raspberries. They are taty w/ flax, but lighter w/out.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:00 PM   #26  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Good Morning!

Another beautiful day by the Bay!

Susan - forgot to give you SNAPS and congrats about your upcoming facelift...are you going to Ess Eff to have it done or did you find a surgeon a bit more local? You must be so excited - I remember how I felt pre-op! Finding a lawfirm to accomodate your schedule...hmmm...how 'bout a job with the outfit in the book "The Firm"? Remember how Mitch was burning the midnight oil? (I've only seen the movie once - read the book several times though).

JC - dontcha have a cat?? Sparky LOVES to wake us up at all hours of the night - until lately...now he sleeps (on my pillow next to my head) until I wake up. Methinks our little Meg is running him ragged - they're ALWAYS 'rassling' and running down the hall these days...I think they're buds now. Thank goodness...

Ilene - I buy Crest that has peroxide added, so it must be good for whitening - we have an itty bitty bathroom so no room for a Water Pik...

As far as the book "Fed Up!" - I am really enjoying it. There is some GREAT info in there...personally I have been doing some 'deep thinking' lately - about how I want to spend the rest of my life. I SURE as **** DON'T want to spend it obssessing and worrying about calories and portions and all that...I've spent well over 30 years doing that. The thing that attracted me to this book was the fact that there is a fitness element involved - it's not just about food. Books like "Overcoming Overeating" kind of scared me away with their suggestions of buying 12 boxes of cookies, filling up the freezer with ice cream, etc. and eating until you can't eat anymore...the author of this book doesn't go quite that far...but she does advocate NOT putting foods into "good" and "bad" categories, among other things. (BTW, there's a website for the book... at http://www.getfedup.com/ )

I have a definite reading pattern - especially with library books - I generally read them 3 times - first time is a kind of fast runthrough; second time, more carefully; then the third time is just skipping through and reading bits that I found important. Additionally, I'm reading a few other books at the same time; re-reading "Brave New World" (amazing how much more I'm getting out of the book now than I did in high school!) and a couple of horse books..."Centered Riding" and "Tarnished Crown" (about horse racing).

Whew! Back to work I go...
Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #27  

Karen: I am going to ESS EFF. !!!!

I consulted with several PSs before deciding. I'm very excited about it. I wasn't comfortable until about the 4th PS and then our schedules didn't mesh. I was bummed. but he gave me hope to find a surgeon I was comfortable with so I saw 2 more and on the second one it was like BINGO. He really didn't have the room in his schedule but because of the bar and the job he is willing to fit me in. Almost all the drs took pity on me due to my bar exam/moving dilemma. I think the research was great (and I did purchase that book you recommended and am giving it to a friend of mine who is thinking liposuction v. lower body lift) BUT the consults in the Bay Area run betwen 75-100 dollars so I spent about 600 on consults but I'm happy about that b/c I got what I was looking for.

Kempyd: I use the standard Waterpik but my son bought a Braun thingy with a million attachments before he departed CA for Boson. BUT like Karen he got home and found no room in his bathroom for the thing.

The standard Waterpik now comes with some add on gadgets but I just use the regular. I flossed a long time because my best friend worked for a dentist and got me this GREAT floss (somehow it is not available to regular folk). When I moved from NY to RI she would send it to me by the boxful. My teeth are fairly close together and it was the only floss that went through. Once I no longer had access to it (she had to leave work on disability) my flossing fell by the wayside due to the difficulty of finding the right floss. Waterpiking is definitely a great second best and much better than doing nothing. AND like working out, it gets addictive. You feel awful when you're not doing it.

Ilene: I've heard that Crest Night Effects works really well.

off to study (again! really! I am!)
Susan
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM   #28  

I need some help here guys. I have been searching the internet for recipes that I can use on BRx. I know there are lots of recipes here on 3FC but I don't think they are for BRx. I looked under SB thinking that would be good but they use lots of cheese and sour cream. I am not a creative cook so I really need to find some ways to cook so that I don't stop this program. I really want to succed on this one. Do any of you have any ideas where I can go to find anything?
Old 07-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #29  
cookies are for browsers

Default Amazing Y'all

Hey all,

First I have to say thanks for welcoming me to your threads. I was just reading your "dailies" and have to say that though it is really easy to see someone really fit and say "this sucks, why can't I look like that" but it is really something to say "I CAN look like that" and see people like you working toward that goal.

Good job!

Yesterday was official Day 1 of BFL. I did a bunch of lifting (upper) and it looks like the program tracking sheets and the book have a discrepancy. So I did TWO different exercises for each area instead of one!! Ah well. My triceps are so laughable. But I DID do it and I AM proud of myself. I'm staying around 1500 calories per day, that seems to be working well for me. I lost 14 pounds in a month doing pretty much just that. I took my "before" photos - get this - my mom actually thought I'd show them to her! AS IF!!!!! She can see them when I am the BFL grand champion!

Feet are feeling better (there's less fat bringing me down.... ) I am going to stick with yoga as an extracurricular fun activity - it keeps me limber and feeling strong.

BBQ foods? I like baked Lay's potato chips (of course they are not program food but yummy!) and fruit. Have to agree with fruit. Strawberries and grapes are good - finger foods are always a big plus. I know it's weird but I like strawberries instead of tomatoes on my burger. Something about the way they taste with mustard is really really good.

Well I had better get back to work, good job staying OP all!

Jennifa
242/228/170
Old 07-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #30  

Kempyd - I sent you a PM regarding your post

Robin
Closed Thread