LWL #109 Week of 30 June 2003

You're on Page 1 of 6
Go to
  • Starting up this week's thread!

In total disbelief that I'm up this early...gonna drink a liter of water and hit the gym...
  • Karen, when are you going to post new pix??? I was thinking of you this weekend when I ordered batteries for my digital camera. I have some older ones that need to be scanned in and can't wait to take some new ones! I was looking at some of my befores just from Christmas time and I was fat fat fat. I'm hoping this cycle downwards is my last time. I'm going to do pix and measurements this week. I have some older measurements but haven't really measured in some time.

Ledom! Good to see you! Glad you are BACK!

Ilene: I actually once backed my car into hubby as he was leaving the driveway EXACTLY the way you described. He stopped short and I thought he was continuing on. To this day we've argued over who was at fault that day. Because of my recent backup issue, he now states that is conclusive evidence that *I* was at fault the other time. Not legally. Prior acts cannot be admitted to show conduct in conformity. Your honor, I object!!! (geez I need to get my head out of the law books!!!)

My workout is done for the day. DD has a field trip at Six Flags Marine World so I will get her there this morning, go to the chiro and have him check my shoulder. I think I worked a wee bit too hard on my UBWO this weeked and then to the police to follow up on some fraud stuff and get things notarized for those idiots at Verizon land. Then it is back to the books. I feel like I have to study twice as hard because of my brain injury and it gets so tiring. I do think that working out is helping me though. I don't MOVE for 10-12 hours a day because I am sitting and reading so I push hard at the gym for the 2-3 hours I'm there each day. It's the only time I move around.

Got to the gym around 2:30 and it was weird weird weird. There were lots of weird people in there including one guy who kept walking around asking everyone if they worked there and some old hippie looking guy who changed out of his street clothes while sitting on the shoulder press (he had his shorts on underneath). he did every machine for 1 minute and kept hopping from weights to cardio machines and he had this huge backpack with him and was dragging it around.

I did a leg workout but there were umpteem 45 lb weights on the big leg press and I almost killed myself the other day deracking it so I just said screw it and used the sled. You know it's men who are leaving these big giguntic amounts of plates on the presses. The bahstards.

I did the treadmill and then stretched out on the stretchy thing. Yesterday two ladies decided to have a conversation on the stretchy machine things and they weren't stretching, they were just sitting there, and the ENTIRE gym was empty but they were conversing on the stretchy thing. So I didn't get to use it yesterday so I used it twice as long today. Don't know if that counts.

In the pool room I found these jumbo pool dumbbells and I used them in that I held them under water with my arms so that they were below me and I kept my arms stationary and then kicked with my feet as I swam laps so my legs were propelling me and my arms were keeping the weights down. I felt it ALL OVER, in my arms and in my legs. It was a GOOD workout. I'm not sure the 24 hour fitness in Dallas has a pool and that is going to be horrible. I'm getting quite addicted to finishing off my workout with a swim.

I'm starting SBD today. I had a zero carb protein drink when I came home this morning (yucch! I had to remove the strawberries - I miss em already). I ordered something called Nectar Protein which is supposed to be all the rage. We'll see. I'll do a review. I really don't like zero carb diets but with SBD it's only 2 weeks. I'll manage that and let everyone know how I do.

If anyone is interested in reading The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald let me know and I'll send it to you. If you don't live in the US I might have to ask for postage. I was looking through all my diet books that I might sell on ebay and thought I would just offer this one up to you guys to borrow instead of selling it on ebay. It was, as I recall, a bit expensive. So if anyone wants to borrow it, let me know.
    have a good day all!!!
    Susan
  • Good Monday Morning Girls!!

Susan -- Hang in there girl with your studying, I admire you so much. Your comments in legal jargon made me laugh because I can only imagine that at the moment you are living, dreaming, breathing, legal jargon.... OMG I don't know how you do it....

I'm not sure if you practice Yoga or not Susan, but when I went to Yoga camp one of the instructors was telling us, as we were preparing to do our headstands, that it is a very good exercise because it gets the blood flowing in the brain and it is good for memory as we get older.... Just a thought for ya...

How nice of you to offer up your book like that, I'm not interested in it, but I thought : "Geez that's so nice of her to offer"

Speaking of swimming, next week I am starting a water aerobic class.... I'm looking forward to that, it's in a heated pool at the "other" gym in the city... My intention is to bike there. It's offered 4 x/week, but I'm not sure if I want to take it that often... Because after a morning of getting up at 4:30, gym, biking to and from gym, then to and from pool, gosh darn I'll need a longer snooze in the afternoon! I already do that as it is... Some days, specially when I'm not working, if I dare sit down in the afternoon, in a straight chair even, I dose off!! I can't even read lately I nod off!! My mom checked my blood sugar this morning and it's 5.1, which, according to her is good... I dunno....

Karen -- I was thinking about you and some up dated pics last week too... I was also interested to know how you had done on the CKD plan, and how you liked it... Let us see and know how things are going....

Later all....
  • Pix, pix pix...
    Yup - I know - gotta get some pix taken. My photographer's been out and about these days (that's Jim FYI ) but you're absolutely right on - I was thinking of putting a new avatar up...but I want to have a horse in the photo too!

Things are actually going well, BTW - I'm about 8-10 pounds up from my lowest weight but I'm cool with that still a comfy size 6 (Baggy in the butt and thighs now!) and a not-so-comfy 4. It would be great to get those fours baggy again - but I'm not ready to stress over it right now - I could very easily take those pounds off by cutting my carbs to the absolute minimum and doing a buttload of cardio (basically a precomp diet), but I've got too many other things on my agenda right now taking up my time - horses for example as if you didn't figure that out already...it will come...I'd rather go slow and steady ya know - that's what's worked for me in the past.

I've done zero carbs in the past and it's just worn me out after the first day or so...same with CKD - the carb-up is supposed to keep that from happening, but it only works for so long. I gotta at LEAST have my oatmeal in the morning...ya know?

Since it's summer, Jim's been gigging and recording big time. I hardly saw him this weekend - he was actually up close by your neck of the woods, Susan - in Pleasanton!

Ilene - regarding CKD - I did it for, what, 3-4 weeks? My opinion: it might be a good option for someone wanting a jump start, but unrealistic for the long term, at least for me. The carb-up was attractive, no doubt - but I've found I like a little FAT with my carbs!

Gotta jam right now - gonna hop in the shower, make a protein pancake to take on the road, and get to the stables before the show horses come back from Vacaville - help unload and get 'em settled in. I'm so excited to be working at the stables this week! And today was an awesome Leg Day!
  • UGH!!
    Now I know why I don't like to order tuna sandwiches at a sandwich shoppe!! I did at Schlotzsky's deli - light albacore, low fat, good protein and carb - and I feel icky!! I knew I shoulda got the turkey!

I have switched now to BFL eating, though fitting in the 6th meal is gonna be tough - if you recall, I had this issue with BRx. I think I may have to maybe do a higher carb breakfast, and maybe make up the protein later in the day in order to do it. Live and learn!!

I will let you all know how the workout goes..I am doing UBWO tonite.

Robin
  • So Thursday night I worked out like a mad woman and got home to find the Cute Boyfriend sitting around waiting for me to make dinner. I was so hungry, I could have killed him! Then, I made this great fish but I must have been careless because I picked up some nasty bacteria from somewhere and was sick for the next two days! GROSS! Of course, I didn't make him sick. There is NO justice.

It was so beautiful here this weekend. Finally no clouds and sunshine and warm warm warm! Summer is finally coming!
  • Hi-

Doing my monthly post but I read it all!

JC- I have Mel's book still but would be happy to ship it to you if that's okay with Mel. Here is a post I wrote over at BFLW a couple of weeks ago when a few women were talking about the program. Like Mel said, this barely resembles what KK is now putting people on; there is not the silly calorie drops if you see him personally. I have no idea why he keeps selling this book; we keep hearing that an updated version is coming, I'll believe it when I see it.

"Let's Talk About GetLean.....

since it seems to be coming up a lot recently in journals and other threads. And since I know not everyone wants to pay $60 for an outdated book, a video, and a pair of calipers.

I have never done the program and realized as soon as I heard it was extremely LF that I never *would*; like lots of women here, I've had much success with keeping my fat percentage well over 20%, and am convinced that it keeps me from feeling hungry and binging, which is what I see way too often on lowcal/LF plans. That said, I know we're all different and what works for me will not work for you, and vice-versa.

I do have the book right now as Meliris was kind enough to lend me her copy. So I figured out what a theoretical woman would follow on this plan, using the "12 weeks from contest" plan outlined in the book.

Getlean starts off 12 weeks out from your "contest" at 15 x bodyweight for
    calories, with several cuts along the way. Our woman weighs 125.

Week 12- cals 1875
    5 x 30 min cardio
    no fruit, no dairy, fat is below 10%
    3 on, 1 off lifting cycle throughout

week 11-same

week 10-drop 200; so 1675/day
    5 x 35 min cardio
    30 min per day posing
    drop any bread or pasta

week 9- same as 10

week 8- drop 200 cals so 1475/day
    5 x 40 min cardio or more at your discretion
    keep posing
    drop oatmeal cause it has 2 grams of fat per 100 cals
    you can only have cream of rice, grits or cream of rye for carb
    only egg whites, chickbreast or fish for protein

week 7- same as week 8

week 6-drop another 100-200 calories so now we're down to 1275-1375/day
    cardio- add a day so 6 days and 45 minutes
    tanning 5 times a week for 30 min

week 5- same as 6

week 4- drop another 100-200 cals so now we're at 1075-1175/day
    cardio-not more than 6 days at 60 min day
    still posing 30 min a day
    one day a week add 500 cals of clean carb woohoo
    eliminate all condiments

week 3 and 2 same as 4

5 days out; cut your carbs in half for 3 days
    3 days out stop aerobics
    5 days out no leg training
    3 days out cut all sodium

So on 1100 cals you're lifting 6 days most weeks and doing an hour of cardio 6 days a week.

Now if you start at 12 calories per pound, which has been suggested, you are down to 700-800 calories per day for the last 4 weeks, unless the rest of the program is tweaked.

Comments?"

I'm currently doing the Rock Hard Challenge from M/F, which involves CARDIO!! Jury is still out; I just started week 2. I do like the fact that the workouts change every day though.

God I am really going to have to quit all my free day type cooking. I'm enjoying the **** out of it but this morning the evil scale (I'm jumping on it once a week) said 122. That's 8 pounds up from what I consider my comfort zone. I kinda doubt I've added that much muscle; maybe I can blame the creatine..yeah, that's the ticket!

Laura
  • Getlean
    Thanks Laura for posting that- I was trying to cut and paste it in an email to JC, but for some bizarre reason, I can't send email today. I receive just fine, but can't send.

JC- If you want the book, just say so. I will NEVER try it again, so just arrange with Laura if you want it.

It's hot and humid here, and I have way too much work to do. It's cutting into my workout schedule. I need to retire

Food on track today, did a wicked cardio and abs session.

mel
  • Laura & Mel - you two are the best! Since I couldn't get a hold of the book I did a search on L&S for KK or getlean post and I worked the diet out piece by piece. I have worked out the plan already and it looks similar to what you posted Laura! Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind - the shipping is expensive and takes a long time to Australia so will hold off for the moment (since I think I have worked the diet out).

Laura- I was reading about the RHC on BflMSN - sounds great! I am going to do some more reading and then look into it some more.

I am working out my journal for my next challenge and am getting so excited. I was thinking of starting up an online journal over at the MSN since I lurk there so much.

One question though - I love running but I read somewhere that for cardio running isn't a good idea?? Any thoughts?

JC
  • JC- When the weather and my knees were more cooperative, I used to run hill sprints for cardio. Lots of folks seem to run intervals for cardio, so if your knees can take it, I don't see why not. Especially if you have a track or field to use rather than running on streets (bad, bad for knees and ankles!)

Ilene- I lasted on CKD for 3 weeks, but I was doing a lot of traveling on the weekends, and I never really got it right. My carb-ups tended to be pig-outs, and I also discovered I like my carbs with fat. I craved vegies soooo much. But having a meal of cream cheese, pecans, and cocoa powder certainly was novel. I really don't think it's the healthiest way to eat.

On track for today, need more water tho.

mel
  • Yeah I use my soccer field for sprints and jogging. My knees are fairly resiliant from soccer so I don't see a problem. I was led to believe it had something to do with burning muscle from the impact? Not sure....

The best thing I found about NHE and CKD was watching how water works in the body. It's fascinating to see water retention disappear when you cut carbs out. But I agree with Mel it's not the healthiest thing around especially the lack of fibre.

JC
  • What a workout!!
    My UBWO was very good!! I kinda felt like at first it was going to be too easy, but the last 2-3 sets changed my mind on that. I was drenched with sweat!! Should the first three sets be fairly easy? Because they were....I wasn't sure if I should add more weight.

I got an email from EAS - I had wrote to them with a question - and they spelled out how I am supposed to measure calories if I am into that. The way they are talking, if I want to build muscle and burn fat, I am supposed to eat my weight x 12, which is over 3000 calories a day!! Even just a fat burn mode is 2000-2600. Today I ate barely over 2000, so I guess I will use that as my benchmark. I am not going to get nuts about the calories but it is nice to know. That 3k is what I would have been eating on BRx - that is a lot of food!

Karen - can you point the way to the thread with your egg white/oatmeal pancake recipe? Also, do you know who makes the breakfast casserole with eggs and oatmeal? I can't find that recipe.

Here is my fitday journal......tell me what you think....am I on the right track?
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...?Owner=Robinah

Robin
  • Whew! Sorry - I was gone all day at the stables. What a fun day...got there to help out with the day campers (five kids ranging from 4 to 8 years old from the look - most of whom have had very little or no contact with real horses). Dee Dee (my trainer) took me aside and asked me if I would be interested in going on a trail ride with a friend of hers this afternoon? well of course I said **** YES! The only thing is it was in the hills overlooking Martinez...a pretty long haul from Woodside (took me 35 minutes to get there). Didn't get home til 7 pm but it was SO worth it - it was just gorgeous out there - deer, jackrabbits, lizards, eagles, all that good wildlife stuff goin' on. And I wasn't riding a 'plug' either - Jack (the horse I was riding) had pep and more to spare, but I was able to handle him okay

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - it was fun helping out with the little ones - then after they leave at 2, I'm going to be riding again - staying in Woodside this time though

Robin - wanted to address ya real quick on the protein pancakes. It's pretty simple...you take enough eggwhites to equal your protein portion (I myself have 1 whole egg + 4-5 whites) then ya take your dry oatmeal portion (depending on how heavy my workout is that day - generally 1/2 a cup of dry oats but I bump it up to 3/4 or even 1 cup on leg day or heavy cardio days with Spinning included). Toss in some Splenda to taste, a lil vanilla extract and cinnamon...Then ya get your Braun hand blender (or I suppose you can use any old blender- but I LOVE my Braun to pieces!) and ya mix it but good!

While you're doing this, get a nonstick skillet (I use an 11" one and make one honkin' big cake but I suppose you can make teeny ones if you wanna) and get it smokin' hot, then spray with some butterflavored nonstick spray, turn the heat down to medium or medium-high, then pour the liquid in (I don't call it a 'batter' - it's not exactly gonna be the consistency of Aunt Jemima batter - it's pretty thin). The first side should take about 5 minutes to cook, then when it looks 'ready' (you'll know!) flip it over, the second side shouldn't take more'n a couplea minutes and there ya have it. Serve it with sugar-free syrup...YUMMERS.

There are a ton of variations, but that's the basic protein pancake 101
  • Hey! Didja guys lose the board this morning? Or was it just me?

Gonna post right quick here...gotta get to the stables before the campers show up. Today they get to clean tack again It reminds me of when I went to horse camp as a child - I always hated cleaning my room but I spent hours mucking out stalls, saddle-soaping bridles and (yes) saddles, washing and grooming horses - and so do these kids. (In fact, that very disparity really got to my dad when they showed up for Parents' Day and found me toting a wheelbarrow loaded with 'fertilizer' and wondered why I was so happy to clean piles of horse dung, but hated cleaning dog messes from the lawn...go figure... )

Gonna be a GREAT DAY! Hope everyone also has a good one!
  • Yea, the site was down for a bit. Oh well it does happen

Thanks for the recipe Karen.....now if only I had time to make it in the morning......I am such a non-morning person!!

I am doing to do cardio tonite....first time in a while since I have done ANY cardio, so we shall see how it goes. I will be doing the stationary bike at the gym.

Food wise things are going good...I am trying to keep my calorie level at about 2000 a day, which seems to be the minimum fo me anyways.

Have a great day everyone!

Robin