Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #61  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Meliris-[B] That's so weird. I came home to about a thousand ants last night. They were in a bee line across my kitchen wall down to the floor and up the side of my garbage can. I was freaking out! But I sprayed them all with bleach water and killed them all and stopped their line. But cinnamon is a lot more pleasing to the nose.

Sushi! - I love sushi. I've been eating sashimi on "on" days and my favorite sushi place Miso Harney (hee hee hee) on my off days. Sooooo good. Yes, this coast is the coast to be on for sushi.

I was at the gym last night and saw this awesome middle age woman with the best arm muscles ever. I was so impressed. Wow!

I don't buy any of the BFL supplements. I tried the protein shakes in the morning but they were too icky.

Deb- I want instant results darnit!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

Supplements: I have a protein shake when I get home at 6:15 as a post w/o meal, with ground flax in it, I love ground flax. The stuff I found has this nutty taste... I also add Glutamine for soreness and sometimes (when I think of it) Glucosamine for joints At night before bed I take a calcium/magnesium sup. and a vitamin E... It helps me sleep....

Ants: We have ants in our kitchen this year... gonna have to try some cinnamon... I may sprinkle it outside where they are coming in from....

Later all....
Old 06-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #63  
future strong chick

Hello!

Ugh! was stuck at work until 10pm last night! Couldn't bring myself to try a shake with water as I had no milk. We ended up ordering Chinese. Luckily I was able to get steamed chicken and veggies plain. Couldn't get any approved carbs tho. Next time I will bring more food to work!

Kempy I am doing a modified BFL. I don't use supplemnts/shakes but I do follow the eating, as I really like it. I don't feel hungry and like the simplicity.

Mel! You are brilliant!!!! Cottage Cheese ice cream! Let us know how that works, and if it does I am buying an ice cream machine pronto!!! My house is built on an ant hill, and I wake up to a stream thru the kitchen every day. I will be buing some cinnamon tonite! Thank you thank you!!

Ilene Do you grind your own flax? Can you buy it ground? I have to see if they have it in the bulk bin at the health food store.

Robin I don't have any advice as I'm still a newbie at all this myself. But I do feel for you. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.

Does anyone have recipies for savory blended CC? My bf complains that he can taste the salt in it when I make it sweet, "ickky" he says. I guess men don't understand the beauty in sweet/salty flavor combo. Hmm, he's lucky I share my CC with him at all.

Verna
Old 06-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #64  
Uber-Moderator!!

Yup! SIX sushi bars in the old downtown area...I think Sushi Sam's was the first one, then the rest of them popped up -- Sam's often has a line outside the door. IMO it's still the best one around!

Verna - I buy Bob's Red Mill ground flax seed - Safeway carries it - or you can try their website at www.bobsredmill.com. Ya got me on the savory blended CC - other than making a spinach dip out of it, but it will be really salty. OMG SPINACH DIP - I could eat a boatload of that stuff...have you ever made it? The recipe is on the Knorr's Instant Vegetable Soup Mix box. Unfortunately for me I enjoy eating it on sourdough bread...so not exactly an everyday item...

I'm gonna have to try the cinnamon/ant thing tonight! I spoke to our manager and he is going to come out Monday and put baits outside (like that'll help). We get ants every year around this time but I always forget all about it...until the next year! Jeez.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #65  
Ilene the Bean

Blended CC: I blend mine with lite Jello and I love it.... My g/f's could still taste the salt in it tho... I can't taste any salt at all...

I buy mine grounded, I found some in an airtight sealed packaging that looks like the airtight coffee you buy... I can't remember the name, but it's the best I've tried yet...

Later ...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM   #66  

I had the ant thing going on the other night...for some reason they were coming in through the sliders, going UP the wall and then then down onto the counter. Well I freaked out and started spraying them like mad...and I knocked down a plaque that I have called "The Art of Marriage"...very pretty and framed in oak (my cabinets are oak and so I have all these oak framed plaques around the kitchen and that one is my favorite)...the plaque broke...very bummed

but the ants never came back. I looked to see what I was using and it was carpet cleaner (I never look I just grab and spray)...I think I will put cinnamon on my deck all along where they like to come in.

Robin: about the food...I agree that PLANNING IS THE KEY. Absolutely. I am one of those people who cook my food for the week on Sundays. My tools are a roasting pan (for chicken) or the Forman (for chicken breasts), fry pan (for turkey meatballs), rice cooker (hail the rice cooker!) and tons and tons of gladware. I usually do a meat with a carb. I make a turkey loaf or turkey meatballs and add brown rice or wheat pasta and frozen veggies. I sometimes put a little bit of Boston Chicken gravy because it is carb/protein balanced and low fat (but very little, just to moisten). Or I'll put in some pasta sauce (again, low sugar and sparingly). I make enough of whatever for 2 meals for 6 days. Believe it or not, it all cooks up rather quickly. If I'm making breakfast too (cooked steel cut oats mixed with eggbeaters and soy protein powder, splenda and cinnamon baked in a casserole dish) it takes me about 2 hours. If no breakfast then it takes me about an hour. Definitely worth it to have food for the week! Sometimes I make yummy stuff in the slow cooker but that is usually in the winter when I feel like it. Believe me, I am NO cook but cooking for a few hours on Sunday saves me so much time and hassle during the week.

Kempyd: I bought the supplements in the beginning: a big waste of time. Now I use glutamine, multivit with iron, Udos, calcium and glucosomine (for my knee) and 1 or 2 MRPs per day.
Everything else is a waste (IMHO).

Missed the gym this morning but had a decent home workout to a TaeBo video (not one of my favorites but the one I found). I wasn't thrilled so I'm going to the gym later on.

Studying is a horrible thing.

One last thing: I have to develop a taste for cottage cheese. WHAT is standing in my way???????????
Old 06-20-2003, 08:04 AM   #67  
Mel

I can see it now- nationwide shortage of cinnamon! I dumped some in our mailbox yesterday- loads or ants living there for some bizarre reason, and it was really gross to pull out the mail and have them crawl on me! UGH!

I've been PERFECT all week- workouts and food and the scale has not budged. I think it may be an overdose of cottage cheese- it's certainly not too high calories. Yes, I am a numbers person. I weigh me, my food, and count calories. Hopefully in a day Or two I'll have one of those mythical whooshes

Robin- Hate to belabor the point already made, but you've got to plan to succeed. Also, the BrX'ers may jump on me here, but nowhere in the book does it say that cardio is forbidden. I know that no cardio is one of the big draws of the program for some people, but others do BRX and some cardio too. Of course if your not getting the food right, I'm not sure adding cardio will do much.

Kempyd- I use a ton of vitamins, udos, and glutamine. My one experience with with a product containing ephedra was by mistake- it was in an mrd I grabbed without reading the label, and I had the shakes for 4 hours. I've never tried any of the fatburner products or stacks after that experience. I use HDTProblend 55 as a protein powder because I like it, and it doesn't have aspartame or malitol or maltodextrin in it, all which give me problems. It's a blend of different slow and fast absorbing proteins, so not great if you want an instant punch for a post workout shake. I generally use it for meal 2, then real food for meal 3, then my workout. All the EAS products taste like ^#*$& to me.

Cottage cheese- After LOTS of experimentation, I've discovered some are a lot saltier than others. Safeway Lucerne brand is the least salty tasting I've found, and PennMaid is the most (I don't know if PennMaid is kind of local). Read the label! For a savory cottage cheese meal, I make a kind of "spinach pie": 1 c. CC, a squirt of lemon juice, 2 tbs dry oatmeal, 1 c. chopped spinach, 1 whole egg, 2 green onions chopped, and some pepper. Oh, and 1 tbs. grated parmesan. Mix it all up, and nuke it for about 4 minutes. If you cover it, its kind of goopy, If you add more oatmeal and cook it uncovered, you can cut in into somewhat portable squares. I know not everything in there is bfl authorized, but the portions of unauthorized foods are pretty small. If you like greek food, it almost tastes like spanikopita filling.

off to walk the pooch, hope the thunderstorms done start for a while- it looks like night out there!

mel
Old 06-20-2003, 09:12 AM   #68  

Melris - actually, a lot of BRxers do cardio. I don't, mainly because I am limited on what I can do. That was one of the main reasons I did not do BFL. But I have thought of adding some in, in a limited fashion. One of these days my achilles will heal!!

susanje - your oatmeal sounds interesting. Oats, egg beaters, protein powder, cinnamon and splenda? Does it taste liek french toast? Does it get gloppy? As for cooking ahead, often times I will cook up something the nite before or purposely cook extra chicken or fish.

Yesterday I got my protein requirements in, fell a bit short on the fiber - I was so busy I forgot to have my fiber one before I went to bed.

I am going out of town this weekend........so it will probably be somewhat of a "red" weekend for me. However, this program is easy to stay on even if I am eating out all weekend. I will let you know how it goes

Robin

Last edited by RobinBeBe; 06-20-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #69  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

Thanks for the cinammon tip. We've been lucky with ants but ya never know. I like the idea of using something that is non-toxic for the cats. Ever since lacey had a bout with FUS last winter, we've stopped giving them dry food. I guess it helps that the wet food gets eaten immediately, so that there isn't any cat food sitting out all day. I don't think they'd be very amused either, if there were bugs crawling in their food. Then again, smoki might think they are toys. :lol

on Planing... The biggest thing I've learned from the PT program so far, is that planning is the key. Specially since Brad & I are both on this. We not only have to plan the day in advance but coordinate so that I'm cooking only 1 meal at dinner. I've had to back off from trying to plan his day as well as my own, as a) that's a bit too much work for me and b) he doesn't learn anything about food if I do the planning. So, I try to give him the dinner plan early enough in the day so he can work around it..but we've learned I have to do this the night before. Last night was a perfect example. I was low in fat, so I thought to stirfry the chicken with a teaspoon of olive oil. He was high in fats and couldn't afford the oil. Now when he's high in carbs and can't have the rice, that's easy. More leftovers for the next day. But I didn't want to make 2 chicken dishes. we compromised on 1/2 a teaspoon of olive oil each with dinner and I had more peanut butter later. I still have the WW mentality of hoarding food, but now it's just the fat grams.. but since I am supposed to hit my targets, I have to get it in before bedtime. Fatburning is less than 2 weeks away, and then my fats go to 8% from 15%, and I know I won't be having any dilemmas on how to get it in. <g>.

I've been so stressed lately, from the home renovations, impending in-laws to be visit, and wedding plans, that I am doubly thankful that I'm working with a counselor on the PT program. She keeps telling me that I'm doing great, cause I'm nailing the food#'s every day, and since 80% of what we look like is the food, that's more important than missing an exercise session here or there. I don't like missing workouts, but something's had to give the past few weeks. I'd say I'm averaging 3x a week, not 5, so I"m combining workouts to get everything done. That makes for less time on each part. .

A few people mentioned having a week of perfect eating, but no recognition of that on the scale. How has your sodium/water been for the week? I've had quite the eyeopener on this. I never paid any attention to this before PT. But since my weight can swing a few #'s day-to-day, my PTS had me tracking this. And sure enough the gains correlate to higher sodium days. The 2 weeks at my mom's caused a 3-4# gain that is just now going away. I didn't drink enough water (having no washroom will do that <g>), and mom is a bit heavy on the marinades with soy. (thankfully she's not into fat/sugar stuff). We had one night out at a restaurant and I went up another 4#'s the next morning. I drank about 2 gallons the next day and the following day, those 4#'s were gone. <phew>. So now I'm making sure to keep the sodium low and the water high. Otherwise the fluctuations in my weight will mask any fat loss/gain and I'd really not know what was going on.

work is screaming... back later
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 AM   #70  

Hi Robin,

It does kinda taste like french toast. The steel cut texture makes me think of the rice pudding my granny used to make. She made it very dry but the cinnamon and egg taste is there...so the steel cuts mixed with the egg beaters etc is very gloppy, but then I put it in a baking dish (pyrex so I can keep it in there) and bake for a half hour or 40 minutes. Then it dries up and you can cut into squares. For me, this is always breakfast on the run. I make enough for the week and then just cut off a square and bring with me. I'd added things on occasion like vanilla or nutmeg to make it interesting. I've also added blueberries which is yummy.
or heat it up with blueberries and add some more splenda on top of the blueberries, it's like a dessert.

Todays workout: Got to the gym at 3 am and did UBWO (yes, I wore my gloves and used pretty light weights Then I did stretching and 20 minutes of treadmill. It was a good morning.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

man i can't STAND ANTS!!! my dd had some friends over last weekend and one of them saw an ant, ran downstairs and announced to the other guests that we had roaches! my baby cried and refused to come out of her room. i bought some ant repellent gel and put it in her closets, under the dishwasher, behind the stove and sprayed the perimeters of the house. this has slowed down the ants big time. the gel lasts only a month but the spray lasts 4 months.

on another note, i was riding the bike and watching Tombstone last night. the actress that played the "actress" in this movie did a scene where she had to gallop sidesaddle and also do a jump. just curious - have any of our equestrians ever tried to ride sidesadlle. It looked unbelievable, especially with the costume she had to wear.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #72  
Banned

Grrr! I just lost everything... Back later with a redo!

Pretty sure I've got a job...

Ilene, the biker comes from Dr. Fun, bottom of page 2.

http://www.drfun.com/ani.htm

I'm looking for a good quote to go in my siggie....
Old 06-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #73  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Savory Cottage Cheese recipe: I think I got it from Illene....

Cottage Cheese, garlic powder, canned tuna. I add bac-o bits (did you know they're KOSHER??) and slap it on a half of a baked potato.

I've been having a rice cooker problem. It doesn't like brown rice. Any tips on cooking brown rice in the rice cooker?

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 06-20-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #74  
future strong chick

Hello LWL!

Ugh! Had to do a 14 hour work day yesterday and didnt get to the gym I thought about going after work but was afraid I'd never get to sleep and REALLY get out of routine of working out in the a.m. Today is looking better! I was up at 5:30 and got UB and LB workout in, took a little over an hour. So much for the splits, but it's gotta be better than no workout at all. No weights on Sat, that my crazy yoga day LOL! food was horrible yesterday. Well, not horrible compared to the average person but for BFL I ate this frozen puff pastry filles with chicken! BAD!!! Oh well, looks like I'm not taking Sunday as a free day this week.

Susan, I love CC, but I hate oatmeal! We should trade! I need to try the steel cut oats everyone keeps talking about. Maybe I'll like them. I see them in the bulk bin at the store I don't know whats stopping me. Eggs, oats and CC seem to be the trinity from what I read I can't eat eggs (allergic) so I have got to get on the oatmeal bandwagon!

MrsJim, Scored the Red Mill Flax Meal at the store last night. I couldn't find it anywhere. Not in supplements, baking supplies, breakfast cereal, bulk bins where they have whole flax, the fridge where they keep the flax oil, nowhere! But when I asked the groicery guy, he knew exactly what I wanted and got it for me! Must be some popular stuff!!! Of course I forgot to dump some in my CC today, will try it tonight when I get home.

Mel, Things will get better. Why are you looking at the evill scale anyway! Well, I understand, I weigh every day too, and still fiday what I eat. I guess Im a numbners gal too. Just don' t let the number get you down. I know I can fluctuate 10# in a given day. Drink that water, it really helps!!! And thanks for the recipe! I am so going to try that spinach pie recipe, sounds delish! and it will get me to buy some *&^&( oatmeal already!

Audrey, sorry if I missed it before, but what is the PT program you're on? Sounds interesting.

Jessica, I will thry that recipe too. I sometimes mix tuna and CC 1:1 and make 'tuna melts' with it.

Have a great day ladies!

verna

Last edited by mixerchick; 06-20-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #75  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking MEL!!!! Guess what!!!

Either the ants caught the next bus to Reno, or the cinnamon worked!!

When I told Jim about the idea, he was like "so are we gonna have cinnamon ALL OVER OUR FLOOR?" Ya know, he is a sweetie and I love him to death but when it comes to household stuff, the man has no vision! (additionally, for some reason he thinks that cinnamon has sugar in it naturally...) Well, we have a dark hardwood floor anyway, so I got my cinnamon shaker and shook a fairly generous amount in the corners where the ants were coming from...and this morning VOILA no ants! Woo hoo!

Verna - I hear ya on the location thing with the Red Mill flax. Draeger's has it in the breakfast cereal aisle, Safeway has it with the baking stuff. Go figure...

Hey! I completely forgot about the tuna/cottage cheese mixture. If you haven't already done so, go RIGHT NOW to the Krista Smash website (yes, RIGHT NOW, everything else can wait right? ) and check out The Cottage Cheese Page. Some good recipes there...interesting stuff.

Gonna be a great weekend, I know it! I just know it!!!
Closed Thread