3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Working the back (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/278948-working-back.html)

CherryPie99 04-02-2013 06:01 PM

Working the back

Can I get some advice here? I've been lifting weights for about 2 years now. I use free weights and also my Bowflex. (No hating on the Bowflex please, I LOVE it).

Anyway, my arms and legs are pretty muscular, as are my shoulders. But my back has NOTHING. What am I missing?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2uqor9y.jpg

Ilene 04-03-2013 08:24 AM

Pull ups are the first thing that come to mind... it would widen you lats and make your back more V shaped...

GirevikNA 04-03-2013 11:24 AM

Pull up, lat machine, deadlift, dumbbell or barbell rows are the best exercises for having a large and thick back. Reps should be very controlled, you have to feel the muscles work.

Silverfire 04-03-2013 11:41 AM

Jebus your arms/shoulders look awesome. Wow. No real advice from here though... :)

CherryPie99 04-03-2013 01:34 PM

I think I'll have to get some pull up assist bands. I can do a few chin ups without assistance, but can't do pull ups at all.

I already do lat pulldowns, deadlifts and dumbbell rows.

I'm not sure I want to drop much more body fat, though, so maybe I'll never have a defined back...

krampus 04-03-2013 02:15 PM

I wouldn't say that's "nothing" - at all. You're your own harshest critic and your shoulders are FABULOUS - I'm very envious. My back is my best feature but as you can see the lower half is still doughy - I'm too lazy to do a cut so here I am.

That's awesome you can do chinups without assistance too. I'm working toward that, I can do exactly zero from dead hang :(

CherryPie99 04-03-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4692581)
I wouldn't say that's "nothing" - at all. You're your own harshest critic and your shoulders are FABULOUS - I'm very envious. My back is my best feature but as you can see the lower half is still doughy - I'm too lazy to do a cut so here I am.

That's awesome you can do chinups without assistance too. I'm working toward that, I can do exactly zero from dead hang :(

Doughy? I think NOT!!! You look FAB!

I never thought I would get there with the chin ups - I remember when I did the first one I was SO excited LOL!

JenMusic 04-03-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4692581)

Krampus - I'm dying laughing at work!!! I opened your picture - which to me isn't doughy at all - only to see that Samwise Gamgee is staring at you! :)

Jen - I agree that your shoulders look tremendous. No other advice to give, unfortunately!

krampus 04-03-2013 07:42 PM

HA! Yes my hobbits are always watching...I am using the Gravitron currently and can bang out 6 reps using 30 lbs of assistance, and like...maybe 3 with less. Thanks for the encouraging words - I am very very soft around the middle still, unsure what's fat and what's skin but I suspect a lot of it is still fat. I'm just...not genetically predisposed toward being solid the way some people are!

I just walked over to my pullup bar and tried to do a chinup from the floor. Nope!

AlmostMe 04-04-2013 02:36 AM

Krampus your back looks awesome....but from behind... well, I don't think that's your best feature... Your butt looks great. (If you dont' mind me saying so).

I'm gonna follow this thread because I need more back strength, but not doing it for looks (yet)...doing it for the scrum. Grrrrrrrrr.....

krampus 04-04-2013 01:16 PM

HA thanks! I'm flattered. Really with any muscle building aesthetics are just a nice bonus - I'm pretty sure there is nothing anywhere that proves having a weak or average strength back is better than having a strong one ;)

There Is No Try 04-25-2013 03:57 AM

Your already amazing, but to answer your question . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 4692516)
I already do lat pulldowns, deadlifts and dumbbell rows

First of all your shoulders/arms are just, wow.

If your concerned about your amazing back looking even more amazing, throw a "back day" into your gym routine. If you want something, you need to practice towards it.

Remember lats, aka your back, are the second largest muscle group in the body, choose dynamic exercises that give your lats a burn.

That means a neutral-grip pullups, where you stretch all the way down and really focus on activating your lats on the way up, should be #1 on the list. Bent over dumbell rows are great, go heavy and stick to 5-8 reps. You could throw some trap work in there too, like farmers walks (aka, pick up heavy weight and carry it) and some heavy ropes. Also, things like deadlifts or kettlebell swings activate the back durring exercise, indirectly.

My back never hated me more than the day I did pullups, farmers walks, and heavy ropes on the same day. TRY IT! :carrot:

fitmom 04-30-2013 09:16 AM

I noticed a big difference in my back with: bent-over rows, pullovers, and chin-ups (both weighted and unweighted). Plus, lowering my body fat has helped the muscles "pop" more.

Andrea85 06-03-2013 01:59 PM

Lat Pulldowns (or honestly, I prefer the machine that is called "fixed pulldown") have been AMAZING for my back and waist!

You have a beautiful back - strong and sleek. If you want more muscle pop, I would start to do more bent over flys and rows to target your traps and rear delts.

CherryPie99 06-05-2013 09:06 AM

Well, it's been 3 months since I posted this thread and I've been trying to concentrate on working the back more. Unfortunately I don't see a difference, despite doing everything recommended.

http://i39.tinypic.com/j7vy2o.jpg