3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Anyone Crossfitting? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/276108-anyone-crossfitting.html)

midwife 02-20-2013 03:44 PM

Anyone Crossfitting?

I'm a newish crossfitter and I love it! Anyone else?

KerriLeah 02-21-2013 10:36 AM

I haven't heard of it, vaguely only. I am going to check out what it's about though!

katerina11 02-21-2013 02:42 PM

big fan of crossfitters, but i live in a very small town and there isnt a box here. i would be terrible at it, but i do think it looks like fun. im just not speedy. im more of a push-something-really-heavy-once-and-then-done kind of gal. i sure would love to try it though.

i've done a few at-home WOD's and i am sucktastic, but it really pushes me to the limits. which is fun. every once in a while. lol

katerina11 02-21-2013 02:47 PM

here is a pretty cool crossfit chick. i admire her strength.
http://www.crossfitasheville.com/201...-tamara-cohen/

midwife 02-21-2013 04:56 PM

Wow! Thanks for that link!

As for speedy crossfitters, yeah, I'm slow. But I tell myself that "I'm slow but I'm here and that's what counts."

nelie 02-21-2013 05:24 PM

As you may know, I used to. I quit when I started to feel uncomfortable with the 'culture'. I had shoulder pain and was told to just ignore it. My shoulder pain kept getting worse. It took about 6 months of me doing careful exercise afterwards for the pain to subside in my shoulder. There are certain aspects I liked and certain aspects I didn't, but I'd never go back.

Since then, I've read a lot of stuff that provides some valid criticisms of Crossfit. I'm not sure but I think New Rules of Lifting Supercharged provides some valid points on why a randomized program like Crossfit may not necessarily provide you the results you want.

Right now, I'm doing Convict Conditioning and I enjoy it. It is a progressive program.

If you enjoy it though, I'd say enjoy it. I'd watch for injuries, shoulder tends to be a big one with Crossfit. If you start to feel uncomfortable for any reason, that is ok. If you have no problems though and love it, that is ok too.

nelie 02-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katerina11 (Post 4641355)
here is a pretty cool crossfit chick. i admire her strength.
http://www.crossfitasheville.com/201...-tamara-cohen/

Actually, she no longer Crossfits. Somehow I became FB friends with her when I did, she is probably one of the biggest critics of Crossfit now but she had different goals that Crossfit wasn't meeting. She is pretty impressive though now that she focuses on weight lifting solely.

katerina11 02-21-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 4641580)
Actually, she no longer Crossfits. Somehow I became FB friends with her when I did, she is probably one of the biggest critics of Crossfit now but she had different goals that Crossfit wasn't meeting. She is pretty impressive though now that she focuses on weight lifting solely.

right she strength trains now, yeah? i dont really follow crossfitting close. she only did it for a bit and then opened her own gym. i read this great article/interview from a fat positive blogsite about her.

she's one tough cookie.

i wouldn't fit in well with a box that promotes ignoring injury. a friend of mine teaches barbell lifting at one (he's a powerlifter and crossiftter) and they are very conscientious. i really think it depends on the box.

midwife 02-21-2013 07:35 PM

I do know one of the criticisms of crossfit is high injury/poor form so I am watching for that closely. I feel like that at least at the crossfit I go to, they are very picky about safety and form. Everything is adaptable and I am able to choose the activity that pushes me personally even if it is very simple for others there. So at least at this moment, I am impressed with this particular CF's focus on safety and form.

But it's good to keep in mind!

midwife 02-21-2013 07:36 PM

And Convict Conditioning? :lol: I have to check it out! It brings to mind climbing down a rope of bedsheets out of a jail cell. :)

nelie 02-21-2013 07:39 PM

It is a body weight exercise program with a funky name :) Both my husband and I are doing it together.

katerina11 02-21-2013 09:35 PM

here is the article i was referencing. i think cohen has a great attitude, and it was a good read.

http://www.radicalhateloss.com/2011/...ara-cohen.html

excerpt

Quote:

Why would you encourage women to strength train?
Because lifting a heavy barbell is fabulous. I was in love with barbells from the beginning. In fact, I am not sure how I survived 33 years of my life without a barbell. I clearly remember when my goal was to put 100 lbs overhead. It seemed unattainable, so the first time I jerked over 100 lbs was a very big deal. And, now I can press 100 lbs, haha. I think that lifting a barbell is probably the single most important thing that women can do to improve their body image. Lifting heavy and feeling stronger and seeing how muscle mass changes your body is a phenomenal experience.

sacha 02-22-2013 02:34 PM

Nelie,

I feel the same way. The principles of CF are fine but the mentality of it gets a little out of control. The obsessive Paleo diet (which if I recall you are vegan?), the now-vilification of the Zone diet (former flavour), the proudness over puking in training and even rhabado as if it was a badge of honour.... oh dear!!

It's box specific too, glad you found a good box midwife! I do most of it at home.

krampus 02-22-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacha (Post 4642707)
The obsessive Paleo diet.........the proudness over puking in training

I didn't know this was a nationwide/international thing. Thought it was just my local branch being ridiculous and obnoxious.

Kisigin 02-22-2013 10:08 PM

Hi new here. Saw this thread. Crossfit has a bit of a cult mentality that I just don't understand. They elevate Greg Glassman to a god-like status and he doesn't even do Crossfit. Don't get me wrong a lot of the workouts are fun and the variety keeps things interesting but they advocate things like high rep olympic lifts. That's just asking for injury.