Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

Default So very confused, but want to be focused on new strength training routine

Hi,

I have heard over and over to cut back on cardio and start a heavy-duty strength training routine in order to lose weight and look awesome, not to mention get stronger.

I have NO idea where to start. There is SO much information out there. I hear about this New Rules for lifting for Women and P09x and Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and people who just use their body weight (like doing push-ups and squats)....but what is effective for me? I have no idea.

I have a gym membership but I have NO idea how to use anything and am intimidated by the free weight area. I wish I had someone that I knew that would go with me and show me proper form.

Where would you start if you were BRAND NEW to the world of strength training and your goal is to get smaller (not bulkier) and stronger? I can't afford a personal trainer, although that would help with the intimidation factor above...

Last edited by olehcat; 12-07-2012 at 05:57 PM.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

I'm not really new to strength training, but I started ChaLean Extreme last week. The program is designed to lift heavy and fail in a small amount of reps. The instruction is great (there's even one DVD dedicated to form training) and the moves are simple strength training moves with lower body moves (lunges and squats mostly) added in.

I have done the 30 Day Shred and also Insanity, which is another "use your own body weight" program. YMMV, but I did not get the fatigue and muscle burn in Insanity using my own weight that I did with lifting free weights. It was there, just not at the intensity that I like and most expect from using weights. They are both great programs and I got good results from them, but I really like CLX because it's primarily dedicated to lifting, which I LOVE!!

Last edited by strutter5150; 12-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #3  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Some gyms offer a complimentary session with a personal trainer for all members. Have you checked with your gym to see if they do? If not, maybe you could hire one just for a session or two to get you started. Good luck, weight lifting is awesome!
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think a couple sessions with a personal trainer can help you get the best use out of your gym. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is great and that can help you get started but it is always best to really work with someone at first that can give you pointers and check your form.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #5  

Thanks, nelie, Cattails, and strutter for your imput!

I'm just feeling so indecisive about it all, and I know I need to just get started on something.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I know exactly how you feel. My New Years resolution is going to be to get a strength training routine under way. Unlike you, though, I don't have a gym membership. I just don't have time for that. I'm really not sure where to start. I can buy a few things, but have no idea what to buy or what direction to go. Anyone have any great ideas?
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #7  
Ailsa

S/C/G: 189/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

First of all, you will NOT get bulkier, even by lifting HEAVY weights. Do not let anyone tell you that, unless you are taking steroids you will not bulk up. I'd start off googling some exercises and watching others are the gym, keep it simple. Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress are the main 3 that are really helpful. I like to add in dumbell bicep curls, shoulder press, glute bridges, and some others that are a little more "complicated" but not hard at all :P

The most important thing is having good form, ie with squats making sure you stick your butt out far and don't let your knees go over your toes, just start wherever you're comfortable!

I would also recommend looking at bodybuilding.com for some exercises and a how-to that's helpful

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../barbell-squat here's a link for squats

Also, you could ask someone that works at your gym if they could show you around the weight room if you are worried!

Good luck to you, don't be scared!
AilsaPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #8  

@Alisapearl - thank you for the information! I am going to start researching. I would definitely like to keep it simple and effective!

@MovingForward - good luck to us both!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6

Yeah, I second the notion that unless you're eating an excess of like 4,000 calories that you will not get bulky at all and you need a lot of testosterone too. I've been lifting heavy for almost a year and a half and if anything, I'm smaller and firmer all over. I would ask a personal trainer to show me the ropes if I were in your shoes. Once you go into the free weight area a few times, you'll get more comfortable with it. Good luck!
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I read about weightlifting for like a year before I actually did any. Now I just wish I had realized it's NOT THAT SCARY and started years earlier!

You won't get bulkier unless you eat to bulk, but you will get smaller. In the beginning your strength gains will be exponential!

I started out with this: http://www.stumptuous.com/the-less-t...tarter-program
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #11  

@fitmom - thank you for that reassurance! I really do need to just get started on this!

@krampus - thank you for that link! That looks totally do-able!!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Don't know if your gym has it but I've been taking a Les Mills Body Pump class. By no means is it heavy lifting but it is fun strength training.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
I'm really not sure where to start. I can buy a few things, but have no idea what to buy or what direction to go. Anyone have any great ideas?
Consider starting with resistance bands and also using your own body weight (push ups, wall squats, lunges, for example). You can go online and find a bunch of exercises--just watch your form carefully. Add some weights and other equipment as needed. I have a stability ball, a bosu and a faux TRX. You really can do a lot without having a gym membership, IMHO. You also could spend a little money and get a personal trainer to design an at-home program for you using the equipment you have. Good luck!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/226/145

Height: 5'9

YouTube is a great place to learn form for weightlifting. If you start with squats I recommend working with just the bar at first with no weight. Find a good mirror and watch yourself from the front and the side. At first you might be self conscious but it will soon fade. Take a notebook with you and make notes. Don't go at first for how many you can do but just focus on form. Talk to people at the gym, I watch some that are working out, not scary stalker but I just note their form and stuff. You can find some good workouts online. I love google, I just google arm workouts or leg workouts. Good luck and don't give up!!!
wendychic is offline   Reply With Quote