Best moves for upper body?

• One of my biggest problem areas right now is my upper body. I have P90X's Arms and Shoulders routine which is great but I want to know more moves that people use so I can incorporate those on the other days I don't have the P90X one (which is once a week). I really need to tone my triceps and the upper back/shoulder area. Does anyone know of really good moves that targets those areas and will help burn away the excess? Not looking to build as much as I am looking to tone lean muscles.

Thank you in advance!!
  • I am not familiar with the P90X routine, but I've heard it's tough on the joints. Getting stronger is as much about really good form as it is about how heavy you lift. Do a search for exercises to strengthen rotator cuff or shoulders.

Dips are a really good shoulder, upper back and tricep exercise.
  • You can't spot reduce any area of your body. You can build muscle, but the body decides where it wants to release fat.
  • There really isn't any difference between toning lean muscle and building muscle. Toning is more of a buzz-word than anything. Building muscle is very hard, so you need not worry about getting bulky.

For upper body I like: push ups (you can modify them by doing them at an angle -- hands on the couch, bench, etc, to make it more doable until you can push up on the ground), cable flys, dumbbell rows (flat bench or incline), seated row, lat pull down (wide grip, close grip, underhand, there are a lot of variations), shoulder press with dumbbells.

Are you doing lower body weight training too??? If not I definitely suggest doing so. Since there isn't any way to spot reduce, working out all of your muscles is the best way to go!

Also, if you are interested, theres's a great book called New Rules of Lifting for Women!
  • The gals here are right; you can work on building muscles (it's hard and takes time), but fat loss is about diet (i.e., calories). Doing resistance training while you're dieting is a good thing, as it helps you to retain the muscle you do have, and maybe even build a little. But you won't see much of that muscle until your body decides to get rid of the fat on your arms.

The user sontaikle has a blog post with pics, on this topic:
    http://healthplusfifty.wordpress.com...s-part-1-arms/
  • Quote:
    ...you won't see much of that muscle until your body decides to get rid of the fat on your arms.
    That is very true. I started weight training about three years ago, Pilates almost two years ago. When my son tells me he wants to feel my biceps and triceps, they are definitely there! But we can't see them yet. However, as I've lost weight, things are starting to be uncovered. And the shoulders are the first to arrive on the scene!

When it comes to weight loss, it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    • Bench Presses
    • Overhead Press
    • Push-Ups
    • Bent-Over Row
    • Pull-Up
    • Bicep Curl
    • Dumbbell Bench Press
    • OnArm Dumbbell Row
    • Dip