Protien question

• Hey, is it better to eat or drink your protien after lifting? I was doing the whey protien mixed with almond milk but lately I have been thinking it might be better to eat something with protien, like eggs or meat or greek yogurt. Does it even matter?
  • I think whatever works best for you really... I eat my protein, but for convenience sake I'll probably be drinking it instead soon.

I know there has been A LOT of research on whether or not it's best to get your protein before, during, or after a workout and in what form. From my research it looks like having a fairly good meal about 2-3 hours before a workout (or something small about half an hour before, but I can't workout with anything "heavy" in my stomach) and then having something easy to digest (most researchers recommened a drink here, because it goes down easier, I've also read that a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein is recommended too - but that would be a lot of carbs for me) within 30 minutes of the end of your workout.

I don't know if that really helps, and of course different things will work better for different people... Most people probably will tell you to eat your protein, but as long as you're getting the right amount and getting it in when your body needs it, it really doesn't matter too much!
  • What protein drink are you using? I have been researching into them and looking for one tastes somewhat good... LOL... Alot of the reviews I have seen always say these drinks dont taste that good... Thanks!
  • I was using a strawberry whey protien powder from walmart mixed with almond milk but I got tired of that and started eating chicken or eggs or steak strips after my workout. If I am in a bind and not going straight home I get a little bottle of protein ICE. Thay have it in the grocery store right next to my gym. They have 32 grams of protein in a little shot but thaste is not so great. I usually chug it really fast.I like them because they only have like 130 calories. I just didn't know if liquid helps your muscles faster than solid or what.
  • I think the only advantage to drinking a protein shake over eating your protein is that the protein shake might have more protein for less calories.

I don't think there's much of a difference otherwise—I've done both myself, actually. It usually depends on my mood and what I feel like eating/drinking.

Have you tried getting a blender bottle? I bought one at Five Below and it makes it really easy to have a protein shake on the go. I usually use straight up unflavored whey protein mixed with other stuff when I have a blender, but when using my blender bottle I use my flavored chocolate protein powder and water.
  • One thing to keep in mind when considering questions like this is that for most of us, it isn't going to make any difference. Consuming protein within 10 minutes or 30 minutes or 45 minutes of lifting; drinking protein vs. eating the protein, etc. Really, unless you're an elite athlete, the significance of those choices is really minimal. Lift your weights, get in your protein and you'll be right.
  • Quote: What protein drink are you using? I have been researching into them and looking for one tastes somewhat good... LOL... Alot of the reviews I have seen always say these drinks dont taste that good... Thanks!
    They are all pretty horrible and I've been using them for years.
    Best thing IMHO to mix it with cold (ice cold) water in a shaker bottle and chug it really fast.
  • All of these drinks pretty much make me wanna hurl. I have been able to tolerate the cheapo vanilla whey from wal-mart and the jay robb (more expensive) chocolate. I have tried varieties over the years that I just could not drink at all. I think you have to experiment. Most of the nutrition stores and protein websites have packs you can buy to try them before you commit to a 55 gallon drum of misery.All of the ones I haven't thrown back up I mixed with ice cold skim milk. Except the unjury chicken soup one- you mix it with warm water. That one is okay, but a little bit weird.
  • My favorite is the powder blended with orange juice, a banana, and ice.

Or just the powder in a blender bottle with orange juice if I don't have a blender... I had it with water today... Almost died... Almost...