Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #16  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
Thank you! I'm reading through New Rules of Lifting now. I think what freaks me out is that I have no idea how heavy to start but maybe if I keep reading there will be something int he book that might help with that :]
There is no need to be freaked out. Here is how you figure out how heavy to start on any particular exercise:

Pick up a weight. Try to do a few reps of the exercise with good form. Can you do 5-8 reps with good form before getting too tired to maintain good form? If so, then it's the right weight for that exercise. If you can't get to 5 reps with good form, then the weight is too heavy; try a lighter one. If 8-10 reps with good form doesn't tire you out, then the weight is too light for that exercise.

Follow the same principles when deciding when it's time to increase the weight you use on any particular exercise. Bear in mind that it's good to challenge your muscles.

That's all. Nothing to be freaked out about.

Last edited by carter; 08-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #17  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

I won't be any help in terms of whether it's a good option (sounds like it from what others say!) but my gym has a workout generator system called ActivTrax that helps me SO much. Basically it gives you a slightly different workout each time you go so you're working different muscle groups. It gives you a full-body routine (mine usually takes about 45 minutes) and then at the end you can enter whether each set was too heavy, too light or just right and it adjusts accordingly. I definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with the strength training without it. I like having everything laid out for me We have the machine in the gym so I print my workouts there, but I believe you can do it online as well.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #18  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
There is no need to be freaked out. Here is how you figure out how heavy to start on any particular exercise:

Pick up a weight. Try to do a few reps of the exercise with good form. Can you do 5-8 reps with good form before getting too tired to maintain good form? If so, then it's the right weight for that exercise. If you can't get to 5 reps with good form, then the weight is too heavy; try a lighter one. If 8-10 reps with good form doesn't tire you out, then the weight is too light for that exercise.

Follow the same principles when deciding when it's time to increase the weight you use on any particular exercise. Bear in mind that it's good to challenge your muscles.

This is super good advice.

I've completed the New Rules of Lifting for Women and am now doing the New Rules for life.

It took me a few workouts to figure out what the right weights were, but once you do, it's all good!

I've been a few pounds under my goal since October 2011, but with the strength training I've lost another 6 inches off my body and it looks really good for a granny!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #19  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
Thank you! I'm reading through New Rules of Lifting now. I think what freaks me out is that I have no idea how heavy to start but maybe if I keep reading there will be something int he book that might help with that :]

That absolutely does help. :3

Congrats on the baby by the way, soooo cute.
It will be a little trial and error until you figure out your strength and get comfortable

And thanks! She is 7 and a half months now.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #20  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post

That makes me feel a lot better. Nothing to be freaked out about at all. I'm actually really excited now. I haven't lost anything for a few weeks and it's bumming me out, so changing things up will be really good
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote