Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:35 PM   #76  

Hi all,

last post before bed *yawn*

Tomorrow is leg day! WOOT! Love me some squats hehe. Ive been getting a weird tightness on my inner front calves lately... kinda hurts but mostly feels like lactic acid/no stretching. Anyone have any stretching ideas? I think its from the running´I do in my 20MAS. It doesnt hurt when Im running, but later in the day (like say, NOW for instance )

Also, any suggestions for good bicept exercies? Ive been doing barbell curls but now am suddenly getting weird forearm pain/tightness when I do the "up" phase. Ive tried moving my hands around but no luck What are your faves?

JC, its interesting that you mentioned a seeming loss of strength before some fat clears out, I had that happen to me and started freaking out! I thought maybe I wasnt eating enough or something but I recovered and then some, and I seemed to shrink a bit as well so that must have been it!

I think I need to take a progress pic this week, Im feeling kinda down about my progress (ask Ilene/Lanaii lol) and am having a pity party for my fat butt. *comfort*

Well, off to bed!

Tidey
Old 03-26-2003, 07:34 PM   #77  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Tidey: Stretching. For you inner front calves (shins) go down into the push up position with legs straight out behind you. Drop one knee for balance if you need to. On the straight leg try and push your heal into the ground and you should feel the stretch in your calf. If this doesn't work get up - walk over to a wall and try and put you flat foot on the wall and then lean your body into the wall to stretch the calf.

For your forearms - straighten your left arm. With your right hand try and pull you left hand back towards the back of your wrist with your palm facing up. You should feel it pull and relieve the lactic acid. To make it stronger sit on a bench and place your palms flat on the bench next to each thigh so that your finger point behind you. Then sitting on the bench lean back until you can feel the stretch. They are the two ones that I use.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #78  

I'm missing a workout today because I feel so miserable. Yesterday was my free day and my body didn't react well to the milkshake I had. We didn't get home until 2am and woke up for work at 6am. I did eat clean all day today, though. trying to up my portions and think more about the actual grams of protien rather than the palm/fist since I seem to really stink at eyeballing the portions.

I'm just nervous because I really feel like I'm eating way more than I ever did and it's hard to wrap my mind around thinking that eating more will help me lose weight.

I'm having a hard time focusing on the challange this week because we have had a houseguest all week. Not that I havent been eating clean or missing workouts, with the exception of today, just that I'm just not as focused.

Someone in this thread (hard to remember who with all the posts!) said that the hardest challenge is the first. i hope they are right!

I can't wait for LBWO tomorrow, though! I love working my legs.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #79  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Chelly - The first challenge IS the hardest because you are trying to change your habits. It's also the most intense for some. Stick it out!!

JC
Old 03-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #80  
Banned

Hey guys! I worked tonight and plan to be good and go to bed. I'll catch-up tomorrow since I don't work. Lots to do though! I just want to say, that despite the fact that just about everything that can go wrong has gone wrong lately, I have been in a WONDERFUL mood all day! I've had a "skinny" day and that made it impossible to feel blue about anything! My new work pants are getting baggy in the butt!

Night all! ~ Skinny

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-26-2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:30 AM   #81  

too much work, not enough time. after not having much to do for a few months all of a sudden i have TONS of work, plus my own projects.

i've been stuck to the computer for the past three days and now i'm finally re-surfacing into the real world. at least i got the major project done on time to send to the printer yesterday afternoon.

needless to say, no workouts for two days . i just don't understand how the days go by so fassssssssstttttttttt !!!!!

anyway.... today (thursday) i'm back in the fray and i'm going to do a super legs workout. then i'm going to swim for awhile. i miss the pool !!

when i come back i'll catch up on all the posts. it sure is nice being back here with you all !!

Karen -- i'm thrilled for Jim in finding his family. that is just so heartwarming and exciting!!!

Everyone -- thanks for the continued thoughts for us. we're just fine, thank God. life is completely normal and it barely feels like other things are going on around the world. of course, we're still in a high alert, but that's nothing compared to missiles falling at night. i just pray that it finishes up quickly and that all the great coalition soldiers will be home as soon as possible .

take care and have a great thursday

adriana
Old 03-27-2003, 06:02 AM   #82  
Central Coast Chick

Hi Adriana

I'm glad you're all doing well.

Jayne
Old 03-27-2003, 07:04 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

HI All -

Tidey, how are your running shoes? I'm the cheapest person in the world, but I know it's time to buy new runners when my calves start aching after I run. Are they ancient? Also, you may want to switch from barbells to dumbbells for your biceps. JEC's stretching suggestions are good, too.

Chelly, yes, the first four weeks are hard. You're not only changing all of your habits as JEC mentioned, but you're letting go of an old belief system (dieting to lose weight) and reaching out for a new one that you're not completely sure about yet. Hang tight!! Just like all the rest of us, once you start seeing and feeling changes in your body you'll have that great Aha moment everyone here on this forum gets. You may want to look into the BFL Success Journal to help you focus. Even if you're not strictly following BFL the meals/positive affirmations/workout planning daily journalling is exceptional.

Mel, that's very cool that you used to live in North York. We've only been here six months, but I figure I'm a lifer already. I love being able to go for a run in Earl Bales Park - it's so quiet and full of trees I can't believe I'm in the middle of a huge city.

My DH is burning off leave for the next week so we're doing some house renos (no wallpapering, though, Jonda - yikes!) - sanding some hardwood floors and refinishing them. Come to think of it, that may be as bad as wallpapering!! We're going clothes shopping this afternoon together, will keep in mind all of your hilarious clothes stories about shrinking out of clothes before you even get a chance to wear them!

Hello to everyone else, have a great week!

BethO
Old 03-27-2003, 07:54 AM   #84  

Default just a quick note to Chelly

Chelly, I too was concerned about how much I was eating and the losing weight piece not happening however when I jumped on the scale last week I was shocked to see I had lost 2 pounds.

So please, give this a chance, relax and you will find that you truly do feel really good on this program.

Also note, the ladies here turned me onto fitday.com where you can track what you eat and it breaks it down into calories/fat/protein/carbs. I have found it really interesting when I started using it how many carbs I was taking in that I didn't know were carbs. I too have trouble with palm/fist but I did do the fist test (I'm a cup) and I figure my palm is about 2-3 ounces and those are the measurements I use.

Good luck!
adena

to the rest of you, I'll be back later to respond, so many posts, so little time. :-)
Old 03-27-2003, 08:25 AM   #85  
Hot Sauce!

Default Good Morning!

Hello ladies, how are you all today? I am doing well, had a great bicep/tricep/forearm superset workout and I haven't seen my triceps shake that bad in a long time. I am so happy to see that my left bicep/tricep is now almost up to the same strength as my right bicep/tricep and no pain, so I am really healing up here. I even increased my bench press yesterday with no pain, and I couldn't see the left side of the bar lagging like it has been for awhile. This is great!

JC - I just decided to go with the insulin sen./healthy adrenal gland program because I was able to give up chocolate and such very easily. She mentioned that if you have a hard time giving up your addictions than you have burned out adrenal glands and than you need to switch to that program. I have never had insulin problems so I jsut decided to go with it. I feel great, much more energetic so I am just going to stick with it. It can become very confusing without the proper testing though!

Mel - thanks for the running tip. I will get me some coolmax socks. I hate blisters..... I hope that you keep us posted on your get lean progress and what you decide to do. It sounds like a tough program and yet I haven't seen anyone actually do it by the book. Everyone who has seen him follows something different than the book. You think they would update the book or something. Have a fun trip to Ohio!

Mrs. Jim - don't you love cat suprises? I swear, there are some nights where Tigger is a madman. Every Saturday and Sunday he wakes me up early because he is used to our weekday early time together. He has a ritual he goes through to wake me up and it drives me insane! What he does is he first paws non-stop on our closet door until someone waked up and yells at him to stop. Than he runs out of the room. He comes back in 5 minutes, paws at the ned of my bed....shaking my whole bed and than jumps up and sits right next to my face. Sometimes he licks my head until I wake up. He will continue this for as long as it takes to get me out of bed. I really don't get to sleep in on the weekends at all!
He is lucky he is so cute!

Tidey - some bicep exercises are: preacher curls, incline DB curls, reverse grip DB or BB curls.....Are you gripping the bar too hard while curling? This could cause some discomfort. Are your wrists weak?

Have a great day all!
Jamie
Old 03-27-2003, 08:36 AM   #86  

Good morning all! I am feeling a wee bit stressed, but trying to use it to my advantage... Just found out my fiance may be deployed in July... which normally would not be a problem ( he was gone 4 months out of the past year) but we are getting married on the 9th of July!!!!!! I am a big time stress eater and my stress foods seem to be loaded with sugar HELP!!!!
Tami
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 AM   #87  
Peace with body and soul

Don't forget hammer curls. I really love them because they hit the muscle in a way that makes it really pop. *S*

For t hose who are taking a look at SP II, I'm going w/insulin sens./burned out adrenals and will wean myself slowly off my last addiction, coffee. I'm drinking a blend this am of decaf/reg. starbucks and I have to say I can taste a difference. the richness is gone. wah.

thoughts and prayers to everyone who has family or friends in the military....

Nearly Friday people and a pair of leggings that I put on last night to work out in, that were formerly skin-tight, now bag considerably in the butt and legs. Even the waist area is more comfy now...

HOORAY!

Viva la Bootcamp!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #88  
Ilene the Bean

Hi ya girls

Adrianna I'm soooo happy to see that all is well with you and yours...

Tidey Try this workout for your arms... it’s really good I enjoy it and get a great pump I don’t bother with the wrist stuff... http://www.davedraper.com/arm-workout-mass-blast-2.html
I enjoyed talking to you the other day girl!

Adena It was so nice talking to you yesterday...

Chelly Hang in there girl, it’s a great program. Your body and specially your mind just need to adjust to this new LIFESTYLE....

JC Thanks for that explanation of hunger.... I’m not sure if my hunger was hormonal though because they weren’t cravings per se because I could almost feel the food leaving my stomach and disappear then it would start grumbling...within 45 minutes of eating...I did ALMOST have a chocolate coated granola, but it wasn’t a craving.... I was just fed up with being hungry and thought this would help it... BUT BUT I DID NOT SUCUMB... Yay ... I was pretty proud of that... if you look at my Fitday journal I had like 2340 cals. yesterday... and the breakdown in % was P36,C29,F35 ... not bad I think...
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...?Owner=Lanaii1

Anywho I’m not so ravenous today... at least I didn’t wake up feeling that way... workout was so-so, not a 10.... and after I came back from the gym I immediately had a WW toast with 1T PB... then lay down for a snooze and I felt better. I slept only 15 minutes maybe, but I was down for an hour... It felt really good... Luckily I don't work outside the house today!

I was thinking this morning, while I was RUNNING, yes I ran for 30sec stints, I went as high as 7.5kph., that maybe I should take a week off. Gosh darn I hate that, when I flap my lips, remember this week when I said I would not take a break because I felt to great, yadda, yadda, yadda.... Well now I feel like I need the break and that my body needs the rest. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow... It is another day after all!!

Hi to everyone I’ve missed, have a great Thursday, the day is looking really beautiful here in Eastern Ontario... Adena how is it in your neck of the woods?

OMG I forgot to mention that I have lost an inch off my hips and also on my thighs... wooohoooo!!! BUT gained a # on the scale... I figured like JC said maybe just maybe I was going to loose some fat on the scale, but NOT NOT NOT, I HATE the scale... by now I SHOULD know better....

Later all.....
Old 03-27-2003, 09:23 AM   #89  

hi all!

just had a great legs day! sweat was litterally rolling down my face (and into my eyes, nose etc! going to get a bandana!)and I used the BIG BAR! (olymipic?) which is 20kg and I have been afraid of but I did it! much easier to balance anyways. Got up to 30kg for squats and GM's and calves. 18kg for deadlifts (must increase) and for my extra set I got 110kg on leg presses! Personal best!!!!!!!!!!

The weather here is great, its SPRING finally! 15C and sunny! I love spring!

Beth, funny you should mention the shoe thing as I was just going to buy new ones. The ones I have now are 3 years old. I've been thinking about replacing them for a bit, but now I have too! (yay! shoe shopping )

Mel and Jamie, I have been doing hammer curls off and on so I will definately give them a try. I do think I have weak wrists, and am probably gripping the bars too tight (they are 28kg for my sets of 6 so i can see why it would happen...)

Ilene, thanks for the link I will check it out! I get Draper's newsletter and while Im not a fanatic I do enjoy his monologs hehe

Lots to do today, so I better tear myself away from the computer lol

Tidey
Old 03-27-2003, 09:53 AM   #90  

Mel, we went on a family trip with my parents, sister, brother and kids to the Mexican Riviera on the Princess cruise (aka The Love Boat (now you'll have that song stuck in your head forever ). It was a 7 day cruise to Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan and Cabo. We had a great time!

Beth--Ugh! House improvements never end, do they?

GI Girl --yikes! I hope everything works out for you!

Ilene!!!Woo! That's awsome!

I had a crappy workout today. I'm so damn tired and just had no energy. I really need to catch up on sleep

I hope everyone's day goes well!

Oh yeah, I found that I liked Calorie King a lot better than Fitday. I think they have a better food database and is easier to search for food.

Last edited by shelbyw; 03-27-2003 at 09:56 AM.
Closed Thread