Increasing push ups?

• What are some ways to increase max push ups? I want to be at about 50 pushups in two minutes and right now am probably only at 20-30. I've been doing push ups after I do my run, but so far haven't seen much improvement in the past month or so. Should I be lifting weights to gain more muscle in my shoulders and arms? Or should I just keep doing push ups?

Thanks!
  • I would personally do decline pushups to increase the ease of your regular pushups (im assuming these are *real* pushups, and not *girl* pushups?).

decline pushups--put your feet up on something higher than your torso and head....a physio-ball (that will increasew core stability too!) a bech, chair, couch, curb. anything reallly.... the smaller the decline (closer to the ground,) the easier.

I fyou want to work on training your muscle and body to just MOVE FASTER through the movement, than do INCLINE pushups, where your torso is higher than your feet. This wont make you stronger at regular pushups however, just will make them easier so you can move faster and get used to the way it feels.

Great goal, btw
  • Have you seen the 100 push up challenge? It has you do sets of push ups, the last set to failure. You'd probably have to start a fair way into the program, but it might help, or at least give you some ideas.
  • Quote: What are some ways to increase max push ups? I want to be at about 50 pushups in two minutes and right now am probably only at 20-30. I've been doing push ups after I do my run, but so far haven't seen much improvement in the past month or so. Should I be lifting weights to gain more muscle in my shoulders and arms? Or should I just keep doing push ups?

Thanks!

I'm curious...what made you set your goal for doing 50 push-ups in two minutes?

To get better at push-ups:
    1) make sure your form is golden. Think of push-ups as "moving planks" -- so everything should be tight and engaged. You should be able to serve coffee off your back! lol
    Also, with trying to increase the volume of your push-ups...that's a lot of pushing. Make sure you are doing adequate "pulling" -- like body rows or pull-ups to compensate. And make sure that your elbows are pointing back at a roughly 45 degree angle and not flaring out to the sides (this may impinge the soft tissues in your shoulder and cause inflammation or worse).

2) Grease the groove. Throughout the day, do a push-up here, a push-up there. Get up to get a sip of water? Do a push-up. Go to the bathroom? Do a push-up. You'll be surprised how just doing this will increase your strength and ability to perform push-ups by volume.

Good luck! And please post your progress!