Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Default Build muscle to combat neck/back ache

Unfortunately a large proportion of me is boobs which never seem to disappear when I lose weight. I have a narrow back and shoulders and it just doesn't feel as if I was built to carry them. As a result I get shoulder pains from the bra straps and neck and back ache from the poor posture that they have caused me to develop!

I was wondering if there were any exercises that will help me strengthen my back/neck/shoulders that might make them a little tougher and a little bit more prepared to carry around my boobs all day?

I remember hearing about those men who exercise their pecks so much they have a "hunched" poor posture... I was wondering if I exercised my back too much would I end up with a super straight posture? Or does it not work like that?

Also if you know about any good work outs for the chest then I would love to hear them. Gravity is already taking it's tole and I'm only 20. Eek.

Thanks
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: >138/124/114

Height: 5'4"

Well, for starters, I'f look at your bras. Chances are that they're not your size due to weight loss and general confusion about bras and sizing.
The following sites are about bras. If yours is ill fitting, your back and posture will suffer.
how to determine your size
British bra blog (say that three times quickly!)
another blog. This one uses metric, but there are many online calculators to help.
Hourglassy has tonnes of info and fashion advice.
Another blog (sorry if I'm boring you here...)

In terms of exercises, the breast is made up of fat and milk glands/ducts-there is no muscle in the breasts to exercise-but the pectoral muscles are underneath, and some say that they'll keep you perky. Urban myth? Who knows.
Regardless, I am a fan of using your own bodyweight. Push ups-regular and
"diver bomber", there are many ways to build strength in the chest. Here are some more.
and more
and more...
and even more...

Exercises for the back...
5 moves for a strong back
Ask the trainers

Muay Thai, boxing, (I've had lovelt results from them and swimming daily) may also help-and they are tremendous fun!
(Note- while many of the exercises I gave you are "for men" you should not fear bulking up if you do them-our very hormones won't allow us without extreme measures)
Esenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Choc: Ive seen the rounded shoulders and protruding neck of both those with a fondness for the bench press and other variations of upper body pushing movements as well as seeing this in people who *ahem* sit behind a computer for several hours a day.

The rounded shoulders and protruding neck which can be stressful and cause headaches as well as the conditions you described. It often is the case of overactive pectorial and anterior deltoid muscles as well as over stretched/underactive mid lower trapeziods and deep cervical flexors.

Simple answer, do a whole lot more pulling movements than pushing movements. Rows, and lots of variations of them but yet again, your form has to be correct. If you are compensating in your form then you may further aggravate the condition. Something that is kind of hard to do without someone there to give you verbal cues and act as your visual aid.

One thing that often helps me when it comes to keeping that back square during these types of movements is to think of the back side as a kite where the strings are attached on the back side of each shoulder as well as in the middle. These strings are all being pulled taunt into one line....an image that usually places me back into correct alignment when in question. Obviously core strength is in place here too but more than that, it is important to concentrate training on the entire posterior chain, (backside) from the traps,rhomboids,lats,posterior delts,multifidius, glutes,hamstrings,calves...bascially the entire backside from top to bottom.

This link might also include a few more details for you. But basically, pull more than you push right now and you should be able to develop better posture to help support the weight you carry in the front with less pain.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cause...w=1600&bih=784
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I have neck and upper back issues (from years of bad posture) and my physical therapist has me doing horizontal rows with a resistance band at about waist height, straight arm pull downs with the band at about shoulder height, planks, and bird dogs. I think my back has gotten quite a bit stronger and my posture has greatly improved. Try to be conscious of your posture throughout the day. Sometimes sitting up straight makes me tired ! But that's a good thing. It takes practice.

Best wishes

Edit: he also advised me to not do crunches because they shorten the muscles on the front of the body, so that also pulls you forward.

Last edited by ddc; 07-06-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: crunch afterthought
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: >138/124/114

Height: 5'4"

Blast! Double post.
Sorry

Last edited by Esenin; 07-06-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Esenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Thanks guys so much! I pay quite a lot for my bra's and get them fitted everytime I go, so I'm pretty sure they're right. It's just the weight of them.

Thank you though, I'll try all of those out! And I'm glad you said about the crunches - that's what I've been working on most! It'll be nice to have an excuse to not do them.
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote