Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #1  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Post luckydvl's personal training adventure

A little about me: About 25 lbs to lose after losing 40 on WW and regaining some. A lifelong carb addict and occasional gym rat. I've done SB, WW, BFL, eating clean, C25K, and who knows what else. When I feel like working out, I'm all in for a few weeks or months, and when I don't, I am a total candy-poppin couch potato. I usually cycle in periods of 4 months where I am 'good' and then something happens (like the end of the semester) and I go back to eating from the vending machine.

Tired of all these failed attempts at being in the shape I want to be in, I finally decided to spend the money and splurge on a real fitness studio with professional personal trainers. The studio is private and has lots of cool equipment that I've never seen in a traditional gym. The head trainer is very highly regarded in my area and is known for being tough and inspiring and SUCCESSFUL - she has competed in figure and now trains MMA fighters. My trainer, Kaylie, has also competed in figure and has legitimate post-secondary education in personal training. I feel like I am in good hands.

The cost for a package works out to about $1500 for three months, or about $40 per session, as well as a nutrition plan. I am banking on being in excellent shape and on the right path in 3 months' time, as well as learning a lot about exercise and nutrition, and I had to ask myself - is having a body I can finally be proud of worth $1500? Of course the answer is YES. The kicker, of course, is that I will only get out what I put into it, and I intend to get my money's worth.

I think I've made the right decision. My personality is such that I try very hard to succeed when someone is right there expecting more from me. I have a competitive streak and I push myself hard when I have someone motivating me. Certainly the last few workouts have been worth $40!

I had my initial consultation on May 31 and my assessment on June 2.

In my assessment, Kaylie had me do a few exercises to see how I move. I was surprised to find that I am stiffer on one side of my body than the other. I ride horses regularly, so my 'mounting' leg and right hip have no trouble swinging to the side, but my left side is considerably tighter in the hip. Kaylie is designing a fitness program to balance out my body, help me move better, be a better rider and all around fit person.

Kaylie's exercises are very different from what I've experienced in previous workout routines, and she has something new to try all the time. The purpose for this thread is to log the exercises I do in my sessions, give feedback on my nutrition plan, and be a general blog on how I'm feeling about this journey. I figured I might as well put it into a thread so that it might help others decide whether getting a legit personal trainer is worth it for them too.

My starting stats (approx, taken 1 month ago):
153.8 lbs, 40-29-42, dress size 14

I've had my assessment session already, and 2 workout sessions, so my next post will be recapping the workout sessions.
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #2  
Rather be riding!

Diet: Today is my 7th day of following the nutrition plan. With a focus on fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, complex carbs, lean meat, and portion control, it's nothing I haven't done before, but I am reminded about how much I like eating this way. I have consistent energy through the day, I sleep better, and I am not so bloaty and uncomfortable. It's refreshing that I don't have to count calories or weigh anything. I do stick to measuring cups and 4-5 meals per day, but that's it. Last night I had a really fresh beautiful mango cut up and topped with some AMAZING 0% Greek yogurt. I've been trying out different brands and Liberte pretty much blew them all out of the fridge.

Workout: Today was my second workout session with Kaylie.

3 circuits of the following:

- 15 lb dumbbell power lifts (squat with DB by ears, power to full body+arm extension)
- "can-can planks" (plank with reaching alternate leg across, underneath you)
- 180∘ jump squats (squat with a jump, turning the opposite way)
- squat jumping with both feet onto the bosu ball, and balancing there
- plank with feet on ball, crunching knees underneath you
- reverse lunges with arm raises
- slam-bouncing the 10-lb reactive ball with both hands
- standing side crunches with resistance bands, one with feet stationary, one with a step-squat
- Versaclimber

Results: I like that Kaylie focuses on stuff I'd never think about, such as getting me to relax my jaw muscles when powering through a move, or reminding me to breathe. I also would NEVER have done 2/3 of these exercises before today. She said I killed it, and I agree I felt really good after, not dead!

Last edited by LuckyDVL; 06-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

LuckyDVL: Yep, you found a great place. This is the type of studio I've trained in before relocating last summer. You will get exactly what you put into your workouts and then some. I'm really excited to watch your journey so please keep us posted.....and if anyone Columbus, Ohio needs a studio like this send me a PM and I'll send you a link to one in Grandview.

The type of exercises you are doing are important on several levels, according to the NASM certs the balance/stability approach not only helps to address structural inefficiencies but also appear to increase metabolic fat loss as well. In my experience, I just found them really freakin' hard and sometimes a frustration to my ego. (previously trained for strength and then found that standing on one leg, squatting, and doing a one arm row with the opposite arm using less than fifteen pounds was a greater challenge than pressing or backsquatting at much heavier weights. )

It really sounds like you are in good hands and made a great investment. That's really what it is. I would advise you to write down your workouts if they don't give you a copy. These are going to be rather non traditional from what you will find in a "Globo" type gym and are very easy to forget if you don't do them frequently.

I'm so excited for you. Here's to an AWESOME summer!

Oh, and one more thing....if you can fit it in...think about adding some yoga asanas to your practice. These are awesome for mobility, flexibility and range of motion. Especially but not limited to anything that opens up the hip flexors.

Have Fun!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #4  
Rather be riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
The type of exercises you are doing are important on several levels, according to the NASM certs the balance/stability approach not only helps to address structural inefficiencies but also appear to increase metabolic fat loss as well.
Thanks for the reply! It's funny you mention this, it's exactly what the trainers said too - the overall goal of the workout sessions and nutrition plan is to increase my metabolic rate and help me burn fat more efficiently.

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing....if you can fit it in...think about adding some yoga asanas to your practice. These are awesome for mobility, flexibility and range of motion. Especially but not limited to anything that opens up the hip flexors.
Actually this really rang true for me. I did some yoga last fall and I loved it, but it was a class through school and I haven't been back. I think I will check this out as I really need to loosen up my hip flexors so I can improve my riding position as well. I also am looking for something long & lean to do on my off days. Thanks for the great idea

Diet: Last night I had some sushi for my 5th meal. I had 2 tuna nigiri sushi, 2 regular maki and 5 mini-avocado maki. I was not feeling *stuffed*, but I think it was too much. I always find sushi so hard to judge because I forget how filling it is. I guess I will chalk that up to a learning experience - for me, probably 2 maki and 6 mini-maki, or 4 regular maki is a better snack portion.

Last night was still kind of a success though. I was hanging out with my guy friends and managed to decline both beers and pizza. Kaylie told me that everything I put in my mouth should be serving my body, and I'm pretty sure that beer and pizza serve only my mind and my tastebuds. So although I ate a little too much sushi, I avoided the other stuff completely. Yay!

Results: Today I'm feeling a little sore all over, particularly my quads, and that's kind of an achievement since my quads are the hardest to tire out. I've also got a good sore feeling on my obliques for probably the first time ever. It's gorgeous out today and I think I am going to take my bike out for a good ride after work today.

In other news, it's kind of too early to tell, but I *feel* a little slimmer. I think it might have to do with the awesome ab work yesterday tightening things up, but I sure don't feel like my tummy pokes out quite as much. I'm feeling very happy with everything today!

Last edited by LuckyDVL; 06-11-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for starting this thread, Lucky! I'm interested to see how you progress. It sounds as though you're off to a good start. Good luck!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Good for you for taking charge and taking care of yourself.

Have you tried Oikos Greek Yogurt?

I find KB swings to be amazing, you might ask your trainer about those too.

Good luck!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #7  
Rather be riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, Lucky! I'm interested to see how you progress. It sounds as though you're off to a good start. Good luck!
Thanks, I feel like I'm in good hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
Have you tried Oikos Greek Yogurt?
No, I haven't seen that in the store, but I will keep an eye out! I hope it's cheaper than Liberte, which is about $5 for a container

Diet: Today is my 12th day of following the nutrition plan. I've pretty much embraced it so far. Except for my sushi incident, I've been happy to stick to it 100%. That's even more impressive for me because they were handing out cake at my desk job and there's always TONS of junk food in the hospital's break room at my nursing job. But I gave the link to my food journal to Kaylie, and just knowing she could log in at any time and see what I was eating is very effective for NOT eating it! It's also been my mantra that anything I put in my body should SERVE my body and that's helped change my mindset little by little too.

Workout: Today was my third full workout session with Kaylie.

- walking lunges holding 12 lb dumbells
- pushups on the bosu, I surprised myself by how many I could do on my toes before going on my knees!
- 12 lb dumbell press on the ball. Oh my god my butt!!
- 60 second bursts on the VersaClimber

2 circuits of the following:

- bench dips
- BURPEES - who invented this torture??? Those are killer!
- side leg raises on the ball
- 12 lb deadlifts with row
- passing the ball from feet to hands with a crunch
- alternating leg/arm superman raises on the bosu

Results: I was very fatigued going into my workout today because I worked till midnight last night at the hospital and my workout was at 0800. I also felt this painful twinge above my right glutes (basically where my back dimple would be, if I could see it!) that started during my workout last time and went away. Kaylie had me using the foam roller to really get in there and I think that helped. I hope. I was feeling it during the workout today for sure. She did a great job at helping me find the spot and work through it.

On my 3rd time on the VersaClimber, Kaylie asked me to pick up the speed because it was my last time on it today, so I really went for it! She showed me after that I was not all that far behind the top performing girls in the gym, so that would be something for us to work towards! Wow, awesome

No real change on the scale yet, although that doesn't surprise me, I've always been scale-challenged. It's one of those things where I need to have faith that I'm doing right by my body and the difference will be in how my clothes fit. It's been tough for me in the past because I feel like I'm not getting any results, but the pictures don't lie, right?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

That VersaClimber is a killer isn't it. I have ONLY seen/used on at the training studio in Columbus. I've never seen it anywhere else. Its a shame because it's effective and doesn't take up a lot of space. It's also not exactly a steady state cardio toy.

Don't really focus on that scale for a couple of months. You can weigh yourself daily...but don't depend upon it as an indication of the transitions your body is experiencing right now. It's going to go up and down and everywhere in between for a while. The clothes in your closet are going to be your best indication of effort and the changes that are occurring.

Wow....you are so brave! You actually provided a link to your food journal to your trainer.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #9  

Good for you! Keep up the good work.

I get Oikos yogurt for 3.99 at Target. That's the cheapest I've seen where I am.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good gracious. I've just Googled 'VersaClimber' and I think we've got one in our gymn in rural Wales. If we have, it'll be one of those strange but true stories.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lucky,
If you are getting a container of Liberte Greek yogurt for $5, consider yourself truly LUCKY. I was actually going to ask you how much you are paying for it. I agree with you, I like it best from those I tried (i.e. Liberte, President's Choice and Astro). I pay $5.99 for a 500 ml container (= Liberte).
President't Choice is, I think, $3.99 but not nearly as good. Astro - I found it in Walmart - cheaper but way less protein and way more carbs; sorry I don't remember the details, I bought it a while ago.

Rhonda, I have never seen Oikos in Canada (and I am looking for Greek yogurt in every store I set foot in). I will be in Chicago at the end of the month, I will hit the grocery stores there to see if I can find it.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #12  
Rather be riding!

Quote:
That VersaClimber is a killer isn't it. I have ONLY seen/used on at the training studio in Columbus. I've never seen it anywhere else. Its a shame because it's effective and doesn't take up a lot of space. It's also not exactly a steady state cardio toy.
That's for sure. It's ridiculously intense! I don't think it's very conducive to 45 minute cardio sessions while reading a magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Good gracious. I've just Googled 'VersaClimber' and I think we've got one in our gymn in rural Wales. If we have, it'll be one of those strange but true stories.
Haha! That's awesome, you should give it a try. Seriously, 30 seconds to a minute is all I need to get the blood pounding in my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
I pay $5.99 for a 500 ml container (= Liberte).
President't Choice is, I think, $3.99 but not nearly as good. Astro - I found it in Walmart - cheaper but way less protein and way more carbs; sorry I don't remember the details, I bought it a while ago.
Yeah it's too bad, the PC version is much more affordable (and I like the fact that it uses only skim milk and real honey), but the Liberte is MUCh better tasting. I think once it catches on, though, the prices will come down. Fat-free Greek yogurt is pretty new to the shelves here, I think it was mostly used for cooking before so full fat. I REALLY like it though. I won't go back to regular yogurt.

Diet: Day 14! Nothing processed has entered my mouth in 2 weeks as of today. Well except the Kashi granola bars and cereal but those are approved on my plan. And Splenda. But other than that, whole foods from the produce and meat section and whole grains from the stove to my belly.

Yesterday was an incredibly LONG 18 hour work day between my 2 jobs. I'm pleased to report that I did drag my butt out of bed 15 minutes earlier so that I could pack my meals, something I would not have done before - I would have just decided to buy food throughout the day.

However I was so tired and so burned out on work that my FEED ME switch would not turn off. I did have an extra snack above and beyond my nutrition plan - 1/2 cup of halved walnuts and 1/2 cup of mango. I know there are worse things out there to eat...BUT what bothers me is the feeling that I was not in control of my food intake. Do you know what I mean? I didn't eat for hunger, I ate for emotional reasons, and that's something I continue to struggle with.

Workout: Today was my fourth full workout session with Kaylie.

- reverse lunges and row with resistance bands
- reverse pushups, mostly from my heels, a few from flat feet
- 30ish split jumping jacks (I wasn't counting)

- plank with legs up on the ball, alternating toe touches to the ground - HARD
- side step ups onto the bench with knee up, balance there
- bench hops (hang on to one end and hop from one side to the other)
- lay on mat with feet on ball, bring heels in to hamstring curl with bridge

- twists with "rainbow arc" moving 10 lb medicine ball
- crunches on swiss ball
- "mountain climbers" hanging onto side of bench
- regular plank, holding as long as I could

Results: I did not have any other issues with the sore spot on my glutes from last day. I went to work and it was fine the whole shift. Kaylie really fixed it for me. However, I was really feeling the last day's workout in my hip and upper thighs (all of the stabilizing muscles around my pelvis, I guess), as well as in my lats and shoulders. I was surprised about that because it didn't seem especially intense for my upper body.

I have noticed that my upper body is not as strong as I'd like it to be, especially in comparison with how strong certain parts of my legs seem to be. I am looking forward to get more muscle endurance!

In other results, I've noticed more of a "firmer" definition to my quads especially when climbing the stairs which is easier now. I also had to move a big patient the other day and I felt like I had some strength through it.

Starting to feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Not letting the scale rule my mentality like it has in the past. I'm trusting the process because the results WILL come!

Left my workout today feeling like I've really made a good investment in Kaylie and the studio. I am absolutely getting my money's worth in terms of fresh ideas, motivation, and food accountability.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

Lucky: Your workouts look great and your motivation is inspiring to me. : Some of the fun is not only on the scale but just as you described noticing little things like firmer definition in the quads or the feeling of muscle having more strength/balance than previously. Good stuff.

Sounds like you also made good choices with the extra mini meal you put together. Although you were not happy about the reason you wanted to have it the items you chose were good.

The Greek style yogurt is expensive here too. I really try not to consider it when I put it in the cart. I look at it and think well...it's what some people would pay for their specialty coffee each morning...and it's protein option.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #14  
Rather be riding!

Quote:
Lucky: Your workouts look great and your motivation is inspiring to me. : Some of the fun is not only on the scale but just as you described noticing little things like firmer definition in the quads or the feeling of muscle having more strength/balance than previously. Good stuff.
Thanks! Yes, it's like opening a present verrrry slowwwwly and finding out that present is a fitter, better me!

Diet: Today has been a regroup and refocus on the core elements of my nutrition plan. I haven't strayed from it (I even turned down the after-dinner mint when we went out for sushi last night!) but I do have a penchant for adding extra fruits and 'BLTs' here and there while pretending those things don't have calories. So today I am refocusing on sticking to the plan as it is written. I think I will probably have to do this every so often as I get comfortable with incorporating it into my lifestyle.

I thought that the hospital environment would be my biggest hurdle in terms of eating healthy and avoiding junk food, but actually I've found the reverse is true. I am running around constantly and I don't have time to eat except on my scheduled breaks. I've developed the mindset that all of the crap in the break room is "not for me". It's for the MDs and RNs, and I'll leave them to it

Workout: I did not have a rest day between sessions yesterday and today because with my schedule, I have to take what I can get. Kaylie pushed me yesterday and pushed me in a different way today.

Today's workout felt like a lot of oblique abdominal work and power through the legs.

- alternating standing side rotations with resistance bands
- standing on the bosu ball, with 15 lb curl and shoulder press
- reverse lunges while raising a 12 lb body bar
- plank with "can can" kicks underneath to opposite side
- standing box jumps onto the little box - this was a big MENTAL obstacle for me, I've never jumped *onto* something solid before
- 180 degree rotation jump squats (last set was on the bosu!)
- plank with alternating knee crunches
- side-step lateral pulldowns with free motion cables
- on knees, walking hands out in front of me, and back again

3 x minute-long sessions of jumping rope, which I have not done since elementary school. I surprised myself by being not too bad at it! I even got some crossovers in!

Results: Surprisingly I was not sore after my workout yesterday, so I felt pretty good through this one as well. Kaylie's had me doing more stretches so I think that helps. At the end of my workouts I am beet red and sweating like crazy. I've never, NEVER ended up like that after resistance training before. Kaylie told me to expect to feel warm more often and I have definitely been finding that. I almost always wear a sweater and have found that I have been getting too warm sometimes.

Kaylie commented on my improved arm definition and says she's seeing results! I'm inclined to believe her. When I'm doing a session with her I don't have time to look in the mirror. I have noticed that my posture feels improved and I am walking taller for sure!

This weekend I'm on night shift, so a new diet obstacle to face. Next session with Kaylie is on Monday morning following a night shift so we'll see how it goes!

Have a great weekend everyone
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #15  

Oikos yogurt is made by Stonyfield in NH.

Rhonda