Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Thoughts on a this trainer?

There's a trainer that is trying to recruit me as a client and I'd appreciate some thoughts.

Some background: we have a gym in our apt complex that's decent but doesn't have a backrack so it limits some of the things I can do (one reason I want a really buff trainer!). There are 3 trainers that frequent our gym: Trainer A who is a doof and I think is just there to pick up on women, Trainer B who seems OK but I don't see her really pushing her clients that hard, and Trainer C who is trying to recruit me and seems to be by far the best of the three.

Anyways, I'm doing the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and he's familiar with it and has talked to me about it before. I've seen him working one of his clients and he definitely seemed to be pushing the guy (a good thing since that's really want I would want out of a trainer) and he's a former body builder so using him as my own personal backrack is NOT a problem. He also says that the guy I saw him training as lost 30kg so far with him! And that he runs an exclusive bootcamp that helps the obese.

So far I like the guy, seems like he's serious about weight loss and he even said if I kept a food journal he'd look at it for free (I can't afford a trainer until my contract at work comes out, which won't be for another month or two, and I told him that).

I guess, my only real concern is that he did tell me that running is bad for my knees (I haven't had any knee issues since loosing the last 20-30lbs or so) so I did think that was a weird comment.

I don't know, do you think a trainer is worth it? What should I ask this guy? I really want to get to 155lbs so I could use the help since my weight loss has been SLOW....
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #2  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Can you ask him if you can try it out for a week, see how things go? If you can budget that, you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Personally I think it is worth it for you to do now, and I think you should try to budget at least one session a week with him until you can afford more. It sounds like you want to, but that you need some permission. Go for it!!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I agree, just try it out and see. I've had a lot of trainers, some are good, some not so much. Some I liked as people but didn't help me much. Sounds like he is worth a try.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #4  

I think a trainer is worth a try. Learn as much as you can and if he doesn't provide print outs of what you covered, you should write it down.

I don't really get why people spend extraordinary amounts of money on personal training, though. It must be a motivation thing. Personally, I would be motivated to be able to work out for free. Occassionally I use a trainer for plateaus and new ideas...and I'm a fitness trainer!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Running: When you meet with him ask him what his plans are for helping you meet your fatloss goal. I hear you when you say you want to weigh within a certain range, but perhaps bodyfat percentage might also be something you want to measure and is he able to do that for you?

Depending upon how he outlines his plan for you it may be possible to decide right then and there if he knows what he's talking about. Maybe. LOL.

Also, ask him about his certifications, how long has he been training clients, what type of additional continuing education courses he has taken. (These are required after you actually pass your cert to become a trainer. Most often these CEU's allow trainers to specialize or expand their knowledge in other areas such as working with a special population, or learning how to use the newest toys such as the TRX or balance and stability training. etc)

I would also have a list...oh yes, a list of some of the things you would like to learn or for your training sessions to include.

He may or may not be a good trainer. In my experience not all my trainers were created equal even with the same certs and degrees. Experience, how much time invested in researching, and how they balance their own life with fitness can make or break a trainer. However, you do take a little from everyone and mold it into your own.

Good luck! I hope it turns out to be a good experience. If not...you just move on.Eventually you will find someone who rocks and you follow them everywhere! Kind of like your favorite hairdresser.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

running you're still overseas in a developing country, right? Is your trainer local or international? We have lots of local trainers over here too the "certification" to get is a Reebok Master Trainer, which despite the name and affiliation with a reputable brand, doesn't mean too much. The trainer at our gym nearby once told me exercises to do for my triceps to reduce my flab there. I guess Reebok didn't tell him you can't spot reduce!

My point is, if your country is anything like the one I'm living in, the education and training for fitness instructors is not going to be like in the US. There just aren't the regulations, certifications, and trainings available.

You'll have to try him out in a test period and then go with your gut. You probably know enough basics about lifting to see if he too knows his stuff. Unfortunately here I would not shell out the money to pay for a trainer (I can learn more correct information online :-/) but hopefully for you it will be worth it
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote