Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Default Seeking advice on my ST routine

Hi all of you lifting gurus who are wiser than I on such things...

Would love to run my current ST routine by you for feedback.

Goals: Ideally to build muscle, at minimum to maintain (currently on reduced calories right now)

Equipment: Paltry set of dumbbells that unfortunately only go up to 15 kgs/33 lbs (strength training really isn't a thing here in India!), resistance bands, stability ball, yoga mat.

Schedule: Mon: Run Tues: ST Wed: Run Thurs: Yoga/ST Fri: Run Sat: ST/elliptical/rest Sun: rest (Usually get in specific ST routine 2-3 x a week)

Warmup: 5 minutes increasing intensity elliptical or other aerobic routine, stretching

Deadlifts 3x12-15
Lateral flys 3x15
Plank/dolphin plank/One-legged plank on each side/stability ball pike-ups 3 x 1- 1.5 minutes
Lunges: 2x15 walking lunges, 1x15 stationary, rotating, or another variety
Bent-over dumbbell row: 3x15
Jumprope (for calves): 3 x 1 minute, 75 rotations per minute
Pushups (full): 25
Goblet squat or other variety: 3x12-15

Other: Various PT stuff, including this hip strengthening routine.

Cooldown: Stretching

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by indiblue; 06-04-2011 at 04:22 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I am not the one to give advice about what routines should look like, but do you have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women? You can buy it on-line if you can't find it where you live.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I would love to buy the book, but I haven't because of lack of access to the proper equipment right now (barbell/weight plates, cable machine, etc). Are modifications possible for all exercises? Is it still worth purchasing the book if I have to modify that significantly?
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I did new rules and I liked it, and yes you can modify. If you go to JPfitness there is a forum for the book and I'm sure members there could give you advice on how to modify.

I'm doing another program right now though that I like even better than new rules. It's called the Venus Index, it's available online and it's around $50 I think. It's meant to be done at the gym or at home. I really really like this one a lot.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Ncuneo...is Venus Index easier to follow? Is it just manuals or manuals with DVD's and what kind of equipment do you need at home to follow the program?
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Super easy to follow. It's a 12 week program (I'm stretching it out because I only ST 2xs a week) and they lay out each day verbatum. In addition to that there is a book with demostrations of each exercise. There is also a booklet that comes with it on nutrition, that I didn't find as helpful. You pay and then download PDFs of all the info.

So far I've only needed hand weights, a stability ball and a weight bench. I only need the weight bench for step ups and I think there were some Romanian lunges or something where my foot was elevated and I lunged. The people who do it are super accessible so you could probably email them for suggestions to substitute anything you needed to. They also give you 30 days access to a forum that you could get info from too. I really like it, and I actually feel like I'm getting a much better work out then I was with New Rules.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote