Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #16  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

KicknKnit: Sorry to hear about your Y experience. I belonged to a Y when I began and had a good experience.

You absolutely without a doubt need to learn to use the free weights. I'm not going to go into my long lecture about it but lets just say it's knowledge you can take with you anywhere in any gym. Machines vary from gym to gym. Own the knowledge to lift and you can own your own fitness.

Avoid the front desk.

Walk up to the fitness director/wellness director and tell him/her to schedule you in for freeweight training. If they hem and haw...tell them you are bringing in your own personal trainer as a guest on your next visit. Your experience in trying to get help is simply unacceptable.

I hate to approach people for help too so I understand this is tough but really, it's going to be worth insisting over.

Once you learn the very basics...and I'm telling you that's probably all your going to get....study study study online. There are a lot of really great sites available for learning this that give you verbal cues to think about once you are in the gym...Crossfit has some good videos, Mark Rippetoe is another good one. Look in the library for his book: Starting Strength...the information is out there and it will help you to brush up on this before you spend money on a trainer.

My approach was the learn as much as I could on my own. Then, I outlined what I wanted the trainer to critique and to help me perfect. That way, I wasn't just "hoping" that they might hit the movements that I thought were important for my success.

Boy. I feel for ya.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #17  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Lydia, thank you.

I didn't see the Wellness director (who I emailed two weeks ago) in the Y at all last night. I will definatley hit him up the next time I see him.

Also, I've read a lot of Stumputous. I borrowed "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" from the library and currently working through "Weight Lifting for Dummies".

Any other suggestions?
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Here is my suggestion for you to read.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #19  
New Beacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #20  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Are you sure you weren't at MY gym?? LOL! I have to laugh at the people who sit or lean on the weights as I am moving through my circuits, then complain loudly that they have been there "for THREE hours"...
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 200/149/130

Height: 5"7 , BodyFat%: 24.8 Goal%: 15

Machines are a waste because it only uses one or two muscles. Free weights are best because you have to use your legs and abs too. I don't know what kind of gym you're at, but if it's available do a BodyPump class - Weights resistence that works and tones every part of your body. It also means you can't slack off. weights at least 3 times and week and combine with an aerobic exercises, like stepclass. Good luck.
CeciliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #22  
New Beacher!

well folks,

After a week off due to .. well a sick dog who kept me up for hours all week and a generally crappy feeling, I'm back at the gym

Did the machines last night.. and I know that they aren't the all over body work out, I do feel like I've done something.. my muscles are defiantely sore.. will do some kettlebell swings tonight for a little change up.

One thing I *did* notice last night were two women over in the freeweight section.. one was working out with a guy and the other was being shown the cable machine by one of the wellness people.

So, my goal now is to get into the habit of going to the Y and yes this will be machines for a while because my partner and I are going together and if we go and work into each other sets we actually go.. so until that habit of working out is formed we are stuck together like glue... after that, I'm going to work on transitioning to the free weights even if I need to chase someone down to get some attention.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

We must ALL go to the same gym!!!!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote