Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #31  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Rhonda: Not one peanut butter egg has passed my lips. Not one... I've got a dozen of them in the house. Saw a post from a Facebook friend before Easter saying that the Reese Eggs were "calling her" My first thought was not, I gotta get into my stash. My first thought was how horrible that feeling is. So glad that I'm able to get things like that out of my system. Understanding how sugar+fat tricks our mouths into wanting only more of the same has really helped with this stuff. It makes is so much easier to pass this stuff up. Oh, and until she mentioned it in her Facebook, I had completely forgot that there was a bag of candy sitting in my closet for two weeks. : What a difference that is from ten years ago.

Shannon: Bummer about the HRM. Have you decided what type you want to purchase as a replacement?

Mel: I know you are crazy busy right now. It's that commute. and probably a hundred other things. Feeling pressed myself. I have to finish a lot of projects here, another cert to prepare for before December with a personal goal of July and I'd like to begin teacher training in Yoga during September. (In between raising these boys...)

With all you have going on you still are able to fit in your highly challenging CrossFit workouts. You totally rock. That balance between work, personal life demands and the workouts is such a challenge for so many of us. If you had the time...you could write a book about how to tackle this and I'm sure it would be a best seller.

Cheryl: How's the running? Nice job with the eating and deadlifting! I am making absolutely no strength gains. Its been a rough year. Fortunately the strain in my bicep tendons are no longer painful with everyday movements (opening doors, lifting milk jugs). But backing off from my routine has caused some deconditioning. Meh. I'll get there.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #32  
Mel

Lydia, you are giving me far more credit than I deserve. I have NO work/life balance. I work, workout, and prepare food. repeat...repeat.... No best seller there!

I hate to admit that i had quite a lot of chocolate, but I did. It was medicinal I made the huge mistake of going grocery shopping on Sunday when it was half price and I was sore, feeling sorry for myself, and alone. BAD combination. But it sure tasted good. I don't think it was the perfect fuel for the next day's workout, though was how I felt.

Shannon- I feel crappy when I don't workout, too. Mentally and physically. Get back to it!

How's the eating going, Cheryl? Good job on getting back into the 170's. Nice DL with the fat bar!

I just did the week 6 sectional WOD and shredded my hands again. Not sure I'm going to do it again on Saturday. I'm kind of at the "don't care anymore" point. I did better than I expected but not as well as I hoped.

Rhonda, rest is good for you! we just don't recover like 25 year olds even though the head and heart are there.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #33  
Kallos Sthenos

Mel: Is the chocolate gone? Just kidding....kind of. If it's not, throw it out. I trust you'd tell me the same thing. Also, keep in mind something....you may have been alone in that grocery store making that purchase....but your not really alone. Watching...always watching.

Ahhhh food. I wish I had a degree in nutrition instead of psychology. I want to lean out but I'm not so excited about going all chicken and broccoli again. Meh. Besides the Paleo diet...I love cottage cheese and Greek yogurt far too much to give it up. Anyone have good suggestions or experiences they want to share.

Recently Dave Ruel had a big promotion for his anaerobic cookbook. Thought it was interesting but I didn't purchase...looking at his posted recipes the caloric count was higher than I want for some of my meals.

Also curious about Precision Nutrition.

Basically just wondering if there is something out there that would make my lean out experience a little more interesting/palatable. Maybe I just need to sit down for a few hours and pen some menus myself.

Make the most of today in between the rain showers.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #34  
Workin' It

I got back into the exercise - FB Heavy day, stationary bike & yoga Tuesday, 3.25 mile run in 15 MPH winds and 98% humidity pre-thunderstorm and some yoga on Wednesday, FB Medium day, stationary bike & yoga today. I also have had so much chocolate in the last few days I'm surprised that I'm not beginning to take on the appearance of a chocolate bunny. And it isn't gone - there is still a ton of it at my house. I have had none today. Baby steps.

Lydia - I'm looking at the Polar FT80 (the white faced version). My dead one is a Polar FT60 - the 80 adds in heart rate interval tracking and some cool graphing, targeted specifically for strength training. I can't decide if I want the extra or if I'm good with the one I had. There is a $125 price difference, and if I get the same as the one I have now my mom will also get me a fancier crockpot to go with it.

Mel - how are you feeling today? Candy all gone?

Rhonda - your tap schedule sounds hard, but fun! I bet that is adding to your worn out feeling.

Cheryl - good job on the food! And fantastic DL! Woo hoo!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #35  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lydia - I think Pat (WaterRat) did Precision Nutrition for a while. I've seen her around on the maintainers' board in the last few days.

I'm going to get back to weights as soon as I get home. I'm away in France at present and when I lifted an old anchor chain back onto a post today I *knew* what I'd be doing in a few days time.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #36  
Mel

yup, Lydia, MY chocolate is gone. And you know what? aside from the fact that I did a ho hum workout the next day, I don't really regret it. Yes, I ate too much, but I did it consciously and I know now that I can STOP- a huge difference from 10 years ago when it was a compulsion. Somewhere in the last few years "failures" stopped being failures and became choices. They still are caloric, but I'm in control.

I have some ideas for nutrition for you- but too long to type right now. Will try to PM you on the weekend. Are you still using your old email address?

Body is still wrecked from the sectional WOD. Yesterday was a heavy lifting day and I bailed after a few sets of hang cleans (where I got a PR- go figure!). One snatch and my back, shoulder and bicep screamed. I rowed 2K instead. Today is total recovery except for maybe yoga at lunchtime.

Off to work- today is day 2 of the Penn relays which draws HUGE crowds into Philadelphia.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say about nutrition. I record my daily intake on fitday.com and attempt to improve everyday--with a few bites of chocolate here and there

I am very excited that my thighs have really changed shape in the last 4 months of working with the "new" trainer. The area that people lovingly call "saddlebags" is almost gone I can hardly believe it.

That makes me really optimistic about reducing the amount of belly fat that grabbed me in these post-menopausal years.

I'm sick of chcken/fish on mixed greens, with vinagrette on the side! But, really, I'll do what it takes to get healthier.

This week's increased rest has been really good for me. I tired yesterday about 3/4 of the way through the routine but about an hour later I noted that I felt refreshed, not worn out.

Shannon, glad to hear that you're back at it.

Mel, hand-shredding??? Well, I'm not doing that but I'm proud of my developing calluses from the deadlift.

Last edited by Tejas; 04-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #38  
Kallos Sthenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
...but I did it consciously and I know now that I can STOP- a huge difference from 10 years ago when it was a compulsion. Somewhere in the last few years "failures" stopped being failures and became choices. They still are caloric, but I'm in control.
You know, that makes total sense. It really is about knowing how to draw the line and trusting that we do have control. As hard as you work out, the chocolate is going to good use.

In my case, I just have to be really aware when shopping. If I'm drawn to chocolate, pretzels, anything that keeps me from moving toward my goal and if I'm feeling an emotion on either end of the spectrum (excited or really down) I have to stay away from it. It's just too slippery a slope for me. However, if I'm in a ordinary state I can handle those choices much more successfully.

Oh, and yes, email and cell phone are still the same. I know you are crazy busy. No real hurry...Although I'm envious of Rhonda and her lack of saddlebags. I swear my legs look like tree trunks in the yoga class today. HOW can I weigh the same, have the same measurements and look SO different in the mirror than I recall a year ago...Don't answer that...I know. BF% Bah. I need to do much more lower body lifting and cardio. Honestly, I think I'm darn lucky I can fit into my cat suit for the workouts to begin with. Enough of the stressing...it causes belly fat. I know what to do..let me begin with more water and less diet soda

Rhonda: Awesome job this year and it sounds like you are getting great results with your trainer. Calluses and great legs are a wonderful combination.

Silver: Heavy anchors...so are you thinking maybe a little deadlifting might help you? Great to see you post. Hope you are doing well. I always think of you when I sit on the Concept 2 rowers.

K. Big weekend with yard work. Let me just say I have an amazing azelea farm blooming back here in the woods. Every color you can imagine. The front of my house too and none of them match.... Yeah, that's gotta fixed in the next few years.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #39  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lydia - I just liked the feeling of being able to womanhandle the chain and knew I should go and do some more things like that soon. Though I'm very fed-up with my on and off lower back or hip or knee or VMO injury. I'd like to have a few real life sessions wiith a knowledgeable personal trainer who is not also a bossy boots but I haven't met one of those in my area. In fact, I doubt they exist. I might put a bit of energy into double-checking.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #40  

Today I overheard a male trainer tell a female client, "I eat fish, chicken, turkey, eggs and broccoli. That's it. Nothing else. But, that's not healthy."

Now, I had read on-line about someone else doing this. What is the thinking behind that approach? Assuming that it IS thinking, of course.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #41  
Kallos Sthenos

Well, the protein choices he's listed are the leanest. I also recall reading something about turkey, eggs being better absorbed or converted for muscle building...? maybe someone else can elaborate on that. Fish, obviously the Omega 3's and the broccoli as a carb.

But in my opinion I think we should be able to do better than that. These are just the things to reach for when we don't have time to really consider what to eat... you know like when we are traveling and need to pack snacks...hard boiled eggs with oranges or strawberries. And in this trainer's defense, he's probably in an eating rut. I certainly am in one and eat pretty much the same things with a few changes each week. Breakfast has been the same for five years and I will tell people what it is...but I would not tell them that it is what they HAVE to eat to experience success.

Registered nutritionists really are the best bet when it comes to these questions.

Silver: Bossy Boots. That's funny.

Oh dear...Rhonda, you can tell that trainer he's missing out on cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. There's a whole world of dairy out there for him. Well, maybe not...if he's Paleo. Scratch that.

Last edited by Lydia227; 04-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #42  

That's funny, Lydia. I almost said to him "Well, for heaven's sake, eat Greek yogurt." I've added that to my diet over the last few weeks and it really does boost the protein count, with no sugar that the other yogurts have.

For breakfast, I've been eating modest amounts of Kashi or Ezekial cereals with a cup of Greek yogurt and berries, or egg white and veggie mixture. But I am wondering if the cereals are such a good idea and I should go back to oatmeal. I just can't make myself put that yogurt in a hot cereal. I guess I should get over that.

Last edited by Tejas; 04-30-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #43  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning everyone! For unknown reasons I've been up all night -- just couldn't sleep -- so I thought I'd spend some of my morning reading 3fc.

Chicken breasts, egg (whites), and broccoli is the classic bodybuilding diet, for good reason: low BF people who want to lean out further need to cut calories like everyone else, but they want to do so with the absolute minimum of muscle loss. Ergo the emphasis on lean protein. EFAs are beneficial to all kinds of processes, including fat loss. Broccoli and the other cruciferous veggies are high bulk (fill you up, keep you regular) and still low carb.

It's a boring diet, but I wouldn't say it's unhealthy (assuming sufficient calories, and proper mineral supplementation). And, BB types tend to approach food as fuel, and diets as short-term necessities.

The Boy is up, so I've got to run. Toodles, all.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #44  
Kallos Sthenos

Thanks Kim. Boring but yet healthy for leaning out.

Rhonda: It's so tempting to blurt these things out isn't it. I've learned it's best that I just keep it to myself. Unless someone is asking...I don't give it out. Besides, the last thing I would want to be called is a Bossy Boots....still love that Silver.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #45  

Thanks Kim, now I understand. It wouldn't hurt me to get a little more restrictive in my diet to get off more of this body fat. I've got egg whites, cooked chicken breast and broccoli right at hand so I think I'll have that for breakfast.

I like that "Bossy Boots" too, and I'm going to use---with proper citation, of course.