Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #1  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default New Rules Lifting for Woman

I know a lot of you out there use(d) this program.
I just bought the book.
My question to you ladies-- did anyone out there use NRWLFW after already having decent (or even significant) weight training experience?? Ive been regularly strength training for over a year now, but not following such a specific plan as this!! Ive had a trainer and will do the lifting classes at the gym, etc. The problem is, ive just stopped seeing results! Im actually very fit, and very strong and well toned, but i hit a plateau ( so to speak) and just generally felt like what i was doing wasnt working. So...decided to try a "true" lifting program, with periodization and everything!

Back to the original question.... did any of you ladies began this program, not as a beginner, and still see results?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yes, I've done the program as a more-experienced lifter (about 3 years weight training), and it did not give me optimum results.

This is just my opinion, but once you have several years of real lifting experience (I mean real barbell squats, deadlifts at 1.5-2x bodyweight, etc), you need to ramp it up accordingly.

NROLFW is a great program - especially the nutritional advice - but 2x15 pushups or even 3x8 for other lifts, for an experienced lifter, is simply not enough anymore.

I personally felt that Rippetoe's Starting Strength truly improved my lifting, not only the form but increasing lifts by more than 50lbs. I think 4-6 reps is the best range for myself.

Last edited by sacha; 12-20-2009 at 04:22 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Sacha- thnx for the input! I agree that 2 X15 pushups was NOT challenging (was thinking of doing them at a DEcline next time). IS there any benefit do you think, in A) doing more reps on the purely Bodyweight exercises, like the pushups and jackknifes and B) just significantly upping the weight? In other words, if i select truly challenging weights for myself, will it be possible to see good results?

Keep in mind, im not necessarily looking for HUGE, life changing results!! I just want to get things moving in the right direction again for me!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

MK - both Mel and Cheryl (jamskater), experienced lifters, have see good results moving to CrossFit (crossfit . com)

I just spent 6 months doing a program from Precision Nutrition - called Lean Eating - and saw good results, esp in the amount I can lift. I intend to take it again when it starts in early January. YOu can check the PN website for the details.

I have done NROLFW, and had been away from lifting for more than a year, so it helped me get back. I will still do some of their program when I need a change.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I just got the book and i like the workouts, I've been weight training for 25 years. They say in the book to do the exercise at your level of experience, if you can easily do the 15 push ups by all means do them on a decline. The workout is very progressive and when you're at the workout where you are doing 3 sets of 8 reps, you should be lifting quite heavy. This was my take on in anyways...

It was also a nice change and got me off my plateau...

Last edited by Ilene; 12-21-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #6  

I liked the book a lot, but I also liked the last book of rachel cosgrove and the NTOL for men book. I'm currently mulling over the "squat, lunge, push, pull, lift, twist" workout format (got that form NROL) and liek that it seems easy to remember. I also like the warming up formrachel cosgroves book ';the female breakthrough'. But I also have to second pats remark that both mel and cheryl sounds to like the crossfit sceme a whole lot.
OTOH isn't it he cse that the clue to breaking a plateau is to change what you are ding in whatever way ? That is what it says in the female breakthrough book at least.
And i take most of the books as suggestions to a workout that fits your needs. I think all of them do not specify a weight per se, just a weight that you can do 6 - 8 reps with but, crucially, not one rep more.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

(Giggle) And to add to Rabbit's list of books, I'm currently taking in Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey. Another 16 weeks programming type book. I like it though. It is built around 4 phases of training and parallels many of the principles I was introduced to through my most recent cert. Fortunately, my library rocks! I was able to check this out before purchasing.

I did find the NROLFW to be a little light in the beginning. However with progressions of the exercises it was also a decent workout. For example, those pushups, use a flat resistance band around your shoulders and then try them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RmN6DyZwk

I never really did get through the whole program. I become sidetracked by a new exercise I want to incorporate and then I just slowly slip away from it. But! It has introduced me of exercises to put into my own program.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Maximum Strength is a great program. I'm sure you'll like it.

About 2 years ago, before changing jobs, I had the opportunity to make the 1 1/2 hour drive (each way) up to Hudson, MA to train at Cressey Performance twice per week and the three hours of driving was well worth it . While I worked mostly with Tony (the guy doing pushups in your video link), I did work with Eric on occassion. Two very smart guys (actually 3 when you include Brian St. Pierre) and two of the most humble guys you ever met. I'm hoping to make it back up there as soon as life stops getting in the way. You will definitely get strong and stay healthy if you follow the program.

Last edited by Depalma; 12-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Thanks Depalma. I knew this book was a keeper after the first few chapters. Love how he explains the difference between strength goals vs hypertrophy and the superior benefits of the former for those who are not professional bodybuilders.

He also refers to how his diet was easier to dial into when his goal was to improve his performance in strength gains vs eating to look lean. My mantra from the beginning has been "I eat for my workouts" so obviously he won me with that paragraph.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote