Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #121  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
I thought you might be interested in the top contenders for the $10,000 prize in my Precision Nutrition program. Here's a link to them:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/10k-female-winner

Hmmm, I can't get this reply to give me the option to enter a link, but you can copy and paste the above if you're interested in seeing them. There were some amazing results!
Pat,
Thanks for the link. That is interesting, I love looking at Before and After pictures. Did you guys cast your vote? I would be very torn to select a winner - I see that there is also quite a difference in age; the yongest lady being 27 and the oldest 55. I think it is harder for 55-year old to lose weight/exercise than for somebody half her age so I think I would be inclined to factor it in.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #122  
Workin' It

Hello all! MIL got released from the hospital today - pneumonia is mostly cleared and she now has prescriptions for asthma medicine. DH is on the mend, our doctor also thinks it is something muscle related, told him to come back next week if it didn't feel better. He felt well enough to play some records for the first time in a week today, and we have been talking about him getting more exercise after he recovers to strengthen his core. DSS got sent home from school yesterday for spitting in a child's face - he has been warned that Christmas goes away if he is bad again. (He also got sent home right before Thanksgiving for hitting his teacher, so was already on 'Santa Watch'.) I'm hoping he behaves the rest of the week - it will be hard to follow through on the 'no Christmas' threat... I did 2.55 miles of treadmill HIIT yesterday morning, one of my standby women's health workouts yesterday afternoon, 6.15 miles at the park today. I'm planning more by the light of the tree yoga tonight. Hope it will help me settle down and actually stay asleep all night.

Pat - the finalists look fantastic!

Lydia - way cool on the same night yoga...

Sacha - glad the puppy is okay. I recognize that mistreated dog look from my parent's dogs... Poor little thing has a tough life getting tummy rubs and taking naps. As does my cat.

Alena - miss you too! No idea on the price for dumbells - the ones I covet are $350...

Cheryl - glad the warmup isn't going to be a big ordeal after all.

Mel - cold and rainy. Ick. Hope work gets better.

Rabbit - hope you got some rest and are feeling better.

Good evening all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #123  
Mel

Oh Shannon! I guess it was a good news/bad news day. I really hope you don't have to follow through on the threat. Following through would be dreadful, but NOT following through can have dreadful consequences, too. Glad to hear everyone is on the mend.

Alena- H... I don't think it's harder to exercise at this age, just takes some modifications to avoid joint destruction. But I sure agree on the weight loss. I've been doing all my cross fit workouts this week, but missed cardio for 3 days and my jeans are tighter than they were on Sunday. Eating has been squeaky clean There is NO wiggle room for some of us.

I did get up and do cardio this morning! Yay me. I just feel better about myself, not to mention the jeans factor. On the flip side, an extra hour of sleep is nice, too. CF tonight.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #124  
Workin' It

Mel - the jeans factor is always nice! And yes, we have a bad trend of not always following through on threats and DSS is smart enough to know. So, that trend has to stop. I find it somewhat unfortunate that the event to stop it might have to be Christmas...

Got up and did my WH Belly Off Wednesday workout this morning. As I did Monday on Tuesday I've been a little behind all week. Feel pretty energized - when I can drag myself out of bed I really do enjoy the working out early.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #125  

Hi all,

Loosing track again. I planned to wo today but did not get around to it. Had to finish a conference paper and I'm sooo glad that it is out of the house. Now to get my life back in hand. I'm definitely planning a wo tomorrow as well, luckily NO deadlines for the next 2 weeks!!!!!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #126  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, so are you finding you can handle the cardio and CF together, without overtraining? I've been thinking of adding in a cardio workout, since it's getting tougher to maintain or to lose anything, no wiggle room, like you said. I was curious if you were still doing the cardio or the extra lifting splits.

Today was a good workout at the CF gym. I did my own warm-up and nobody seemed to notice. The WOD was Run 1 mile, 30 DB squat cleans, 30 walking lunges. My friend and I decided to the do the firebreather workout today, which was Run the Hill Mile, 50 DB squat cleans, 30 overhead walking lunges (hold a weight plate overhead). I didn't get a great time, not even close, took me 24 mins and something, but I did it, Rx'd, and that felt good. It was a good workout...the squat cleans were the worst, the worst!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #127  
Working My Way Back Down

Ommmph Cheryl. I'm tired from reading that workout! I'm enjoying the swimming, but I'm missing lifting. Saturday I'll be back to it. Lean Eating starts again mid-January - yay! I've been doing my favorite workouts from there, and funny, they don't involve the ones with a zillion squats......

Still snowing, and now cold as well. Above zero, but just....

Shannon - hope DSS behaves. Christmas would be a hard thing to take away, and yet, not doing it just makes it harder next time. Following through on threatened punishments has to happen for any real behavioral change. I once caused my whole family to leave July 4 fireworks.... My sister didn't speak to me for a couple days. When her daughter was small and misbehaving in the car on the way to a very-desired visit to a friend, my sister threatened a "stop that or we're going back home." And home they went when she didn't stop. My sister had to make a very uncomfortable call to her friend.

I'm enjoying my day off, but not sure that I'll make the appt for my remote start installation tomorrow. It's in Anchorage, and right now the roads are still nasty.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #128  
Mel

Cheryl- I find that my body is so used to doing cardio in the morning, that my brain can barely function without it. That being said, I've cut it down to more like 3-4 times a week and do steady state mostly. HIIT plus CF is definitely too much for this old body or probably a younger one as well. On the other hand, I'm really tired almost all of the time, but I know I don't get enough sleep and the job stress-o-meter is redlining now.

CF party tonight instead of the workout. I'll have to go to the regular gym at lunch time and try to remember what I used to do there.

Have a good day, everyone!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #129  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Mel,
I like cardio in the morning, too, and I miss the days when I kicked myself out of bed and ran 3 miles on the TM before going to work. Those pre-plantar fasciitis days .... I have to resurrect my motivation in order to get myself out of bed early enough for exercise.

I had a fantastic workout last night. It was a Zumba night but our instructor is in the throes of some family emergency (we don't have any more details) so we have a "supply teacher" whom I don't enjoy as much (She has a very different style and I find it hard to follow her choreography on the fly). But, I could not go to Zumba on Tuesday and I found out last night that the substitute instructor was in a car accident AN HOUR prior to the Zumba class. She was rear-ended, no injuries but badly shaken up. She still showed up and tried to do the class (I am told). Last night, even she was not there so the girl who does the kickboxing class (before Zumba) was our instructor last night. It was totally wild - she knows only a very few Zumba moves so we took turns suggesting them and she played some high impact aerobic music for the entire class - it was one non-stop song with no breaks. So the entire 45 minutes we were bouncing off the walls. I was beet-red within the first 10 minutes and sweat was dripping off my face. It was a wild cardio.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

WaterRat~ Thanks Yes, he is quite mistreated! The bump is getting huge! Sorry about your previous question ~ yes, he is a Japanese dog ("Shiba Inu")

Shannon~ I can only imagine how rough of a life your cats have :P

I am supposed to do a chest workout today but for some reason a bout of morning sickness has come back, it's only 6:45am where I am, so hopefully that will settle later.

I will still do the one hour minimum puppy walk though! The coffeee I'm about to have will either make this doable or make it a million times worse >

Last edited by sacha; 12-18-2009 at 02:25 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #131  

I can't even keep up with the ticker anymore, I'm already at 130lbs, but I had a fairly low bodyfat before, so I gotta pack on some of those lbs! I will have to be here every hour once that baby is out! Of course, who will have time? Yeesh!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #132  

Ok ok, my butt is getting in gear.

Cardio: 5km walk in the pouring rain (dog is now passed out on the couch)

Strength Training: Chest + Triceps
Pushups 3x12
Chest Press 3x10
Chest Fly 3x10
Bench Dips 3x15
Kickbacks 3x8

^_^ Tomorrow is a cardio-only day (30 min treadmill run) and no walking the dog (we take him to the puppy park on weekends, that's more than enough for him)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #133  
Workin' It

Today is a planned cardio day for me. Was going to do it this morning but was crazy tired, so slept a little longer instead. Planning to hit the treadmill when I get home. Though, if I don't get to it I'll do some yoga before bed and call it a day.

Sacha - 5k in the rain. Fun. Glad the morning sickness passed fast! And, DSS is usually pretty nice to my cat, so that is good. I think he carries the ones at his mom's house around by their heads.

Alena - that class does sound fun, actually!

Mel - I'm sure that you will remember what to do at the gym!

Pat - DSS got in a little more trouble yesterday, we are trying to decide if it is serious enough to cross the 'no-Christmas' bridge... Ick.

Good day all!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #134  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey Everyone Fly by post...

Cheryl: No worries. I know your busy.
Shannon: Do some yoga poses for me. If I do any tonight it will be all yin. Maybe a savasana.
Mel: Hope your gym workout was great.
Sacha: You are doing such an awesome job of maintaining motivation for your workouts. During my first trimester, I didn't have the energy to do laundry or cook much less a workout.

I had a decent upper body workout today. It really wore me out for this late afternoon. I realized today there is a difference between a lack of sleep kind of fatigue and the type that is caused from a really great workout. With the lack of sleep kind, I'm just very edgy and grouchy. With the post workouts, body healing kind, I'm like buzzy happy tired. Very funny. I think what made it worse today is that I was unable to really eat anything until after two hours post workout. I never ever do that. But today...I did some volunteer work on the fly and didn't have any food with me. Need to stock up on emergency food in the car.

Have a great evening everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #135  

Hi all,

Sacha - amazing workout. Can you do pushups without your belly getting in the way ?

Shannon - hope things have cleared up with DH, MIL and now DSS. Is it possible that the recent health issues with his mom, grandma & dad have worried DSS so that he is acting up from that ?

Pat - freezing here & snow!. I love the light that comes of from the snow but I am very glad that the roads are cleaned. The entire nnorth of the country shut down on tuesday because of 10 - 20 cm of snow. Public transport stopped. Now can you tell we only have this 10 days a year ??

Mel-glad to hear the job-stress-o-meter is gowing down

Cheryl - good to hear on the CF warm up

Lydia - hi! I assume DH will be coming in for Xmas? Are the kids on christmas break yet?

Alena - sounds like a great zumba class!

Birch - how are you doing? The shutdown of this country has commenced last friday

Christmas break!!! I have 2 weeks off and I'm so glad ! I managed to get my conference paper in on time, then I managed to book the trip, also in time. There were hiccups in the software all the way but I am covered. Phew!!!. DS and DD have holiday and I'm very much looking forward to days of R&R.

And I did a lifting session yesterday. Cardio today, I might be able to chalk this one down as an OP week. However, need to watch out. Some tight shirts are starting to show bulges again.

have a great weekend all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote