Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #166  

Merry christmas everyone!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Merry Christmas everyone!

I got an ez bar!!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #168  
Mel

Merry Christmas to all the Ladies who Lift!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Dec 24,2009 -Weights only
Squat 12 + 10 + 8 + 6
Good mornings 12 + 10 (bodyweight) 8 + 6 (45lb Oly bar)
Lunge 12 + 10 + 8 + 6
Calf raise 12 + 10 + 8 + 6

~No cardio or step-ups as I worked a 12 hr shift and couldn't get it all in during my 1 hour break (I have a gym at my work,yay!)

Dec 25,2009
5km walk only
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #170  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hope Santa found everyone! We're finally winding down in our family.

I went to the gym today and thought I was going to die just doing a recovery workout. Junk in = Junk out.

Came home, fell into bed and slept for two hours. After I woke up I was craving something warm with cottage cheese and oats...: light: oh, yeah, that would be the breakfast I usually have 360 days out of the year...except that I haven't had that for three days and my body is in protest.

Humbling very very humbling. (It does give me a good reality check for a new client I will be assisting in the coming days) Just a gentle reminder to not overdo it.

DH made it home the morning of Christmas Eve. He walked in the door, gave me a warm hello and then said "Go get your workout in." Now that's love!

He took the boys to his favorite coffee shop and I enjoyed a nice two hour workout without any concern about making it back by a certain time. It was THE BEST! (kind of makes up for today's pitiful performance)

Shannon: Mom loved her progressive clock. Nice call.
Alena: How was your drive? Arrive stressed free? I hope.
Pat: Congrats on the lower resting heart rate. Absolutely it's a sign of becoming more fit. Those PN workouts plus the swimming must be agreeing with you.

to everyone else. Off to get that shower now. Blech. Hope I get a second wind soon. Pitiful. Just Pitiful.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #171  

Hi all,

Back to some sort of normall life again! I caught a cold and I have a stuffed head and a headache. Bleh, and this in my christmas holiday also! If 's like my body figures out i can afford to have a rest and immediately every bug in the world kicks in. I've seen this before, usually this is the gost of stress past.

No workouts so far. i have to take the car out to get serviced.

Lydia - good to hear mr. lydia made it home in time.
pat - salmon dinner??salmon is expensive here so it is kind of a treat..maybe I'll get some to treat DS and DD.

All the teenage issues are resolved for the coming week. Bliss----I'm hhoping for a stress free week.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #172  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Good morning, chickies!

I am catching up after several days offline.

Pat, your Thai Jungle Curry sour sounds delish - does it come in a tin? I have a suppy of Weight Watchers Thai soup (not sure if that's the correct name) - it's very low in cals (although probably not in sodium) and perfect for the times when I get overly hungry in the office or if I stay up late watching tv and I get hungry but don't want to consume too many calories.

Shannon, thanks for the clicky to the adjustable DB. I don't know if I can ever fit those into the bugdet. I am drooling though!

Lydia - how's your plantar fasciitis? I didn't have time to reply to your before-Xmas post. If it is really bothering you try to find a chiro who is trained in graston technique. I truly believe it made a huge difference for me.
Now, I can do an hour long Zumba class and my foot barely registers it. Too early to start running again though and if I walk barefoot I feel it immediately. Otherwise, as long as I wear the custom orthotics, all is good.

My drive to Chicago was uneventful but boy, was I scared. I left last Wednesday around 4 pm and made it to Kalamazoo, Michigan in good time. The roads were dry and clear so it was not a bad drive. Normally, I would have been tempted to continue driving until I make it to Chicago (even though it would be in the wee hours) but BF said don't go any further, it's sleeting in Chicago and freezing right up.
I checked myself into a Red Roof Inn (my favourite place to stay overnight when travelling with the pooches- RRI is pet friendly). The dogs get one queen bed and I get the other. :-)
I watched the weather channel and it really scared me because it there was a ton of freezing rain everywhere around the lower part of lake Michigan. They also said by the morning, parts of the I-94 may be closed due to treacherous conditions. I didn't leave until 11 am the next morning as the freezing rain was supposed to transition into just rain. I avoided going west on I-94 (towards St. Joseph etc.) and took US 131 south instead, to I-89/90. (I was tempted to go east instead of west and stay at Lydiaville for Christmas). But all went well, the road had been salted and clear of ice and I onoly had to deal with rain (pouring rain when I got closer to Chicago).
I am returning back to Canada tomorrow and I hope it will go equally well.

Of course, there was some very not OP eating (Christmas dinner with BF's family and we were asked not to bring anything [which meant the only healthy dish was crossed off LOL] but overall, I don't think it was the end of the world. On Saturday, we did a P90 workout ( I gave him a P90 DVD - I don't think my BF is ready for P90X) - that was about 38 minutes and yesterday, we did an hour-long P90X KenPo as cardio.
I am planning to do 60 minutes of Jackie Warner's workout today. Oh, and I should mention that I brought with me two pairs of DB for the exercises - one pair for me and another pair for BF as he doesn't have any at home.
No workout tomorrow as I will be on the road the entire day but I am hoping to hit the gym on Wednesday again.

I have three snoozing greyhounds curled up around me and the sight of them is making me sleepy. :-)
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #173  
Working My Way Back Down

Alena, no it's not Weight Watchers recipe! The original calls for regular coconut milk! Here's the link:
Thai Jungle Curry

What I do is use light coconut milk, and additional broth to make it a soup. I've left out the bok choy, lime and basil, and it's still good. I would like it a little spicier, but DH won't eat much spicy stuff.....

So hard to get up for work this morning. Of course, we are getting little increments of more daylight, so that's encouraging, and the weather has been around 20F for the past week or 10 days, so that's great. Perfect winter temps as far as I'm concerned. Nothing melts, but it's not unbearable to be out in.

Excercise continues to be swimming this week, though I'm back to weights on the off days. After this week I'll be on a more regular schedule with both, as the swimming "classes" are over and I'll be doing lap swimming on my own. DH is beginning to train for his hiking trip in mid-March. For him this consists of going up and down 5 flights of stairs (in our local medical center) multiple times, working up to wearing his hiking boots and carrying a backpack. A couple of his friends continue to hike up our local mountain (ironically called Lazy Mountain!) several times a week. It's a pretty steep climb when dry, and having had a broken back, he's not eager to do it in the snow - though they keep asking him. Meanwhile he runs on the treadmill, ice skates several times a week, and goes to the pool where he sort of swims, but is mostly getting acclimated to snorkeling as he's going to Hawaii at the end of January. I can't get him to add weights to this program, though he'd benefit from them I'm sure.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #174  
Mel

Hello from Slothville

I have done some workouts, but reveled in eating just horribly. My clothes are tight, tight tight, and I'm cleaning up my act today. That's cuz all the holiday food is gone!

Mel
Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #175  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: ... nah, your just filling up your glycogen stores in your muscles right? ... Couple days of clean eating and you'll be comfy again.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #176  
Workin' It

Mel - I'm right there with you on the tight clothes...

Lydia - glad she liked the clock!

Alena - I'm going to find a way to get those DBs this year... Somehow. I have a bday in May - might target that as an entire family gift.

Rabbit - hope you feel better...

I worked out for a little over an hour on the 23rd - kickboxing and elliptical trainer.I did 30 minutes of yoga per day on the 24th and 25th, and pretty light yoga at that. I did no exercise on the 26th - crashed on the bed instead. Ran 11 miles at the park yesterday (well, ran some & walked some). Spent about an hour breaking down boxes and cleaning in the garage today, then spent another hour with my new bosu, learning how to balance and such. Hey, did I say that I got a Bosu for Christmas from my folks? I also got a runners hydration pack, gift cards for new running shoes, some great new running socks and a food processor, all from my parents, brother & SIL. And, not a lick of chocolate from my mother who usually loads me down with sugar. Guess my family got on board finally with the whole new healthier lifestyle.

Good night everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #177  
Mel

Shanon- I think you lucked out on the gifts and your family has gotten the message :nod: Have fun with that BOSU! look on youtube for some amazing exercises. Even the basics on the disk that comes with it can be pretty tricky.

I'm still having fun with crossfit. I haven't been to the regular gym in over 3 weeks and am thinking about dropping my membership. The only thing that stops me is the realization that this could be too much for my poor old knees and I may need to go back to more conventional resistance workouts either for good or intermittently, and I sure don't want to have to pay their start up fee again.

But for now in still loving it!
Today's WOD:

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps of
pull ups
medicine ball cleans
"floor wipers"

I went rx'ed for all except used the lightest band for the 21-18-15-12 rep sets of pull ups. I did UNASSISTED pull ups for the shorter sets!!!! But my time got a lot slower at that point

It has gotten super cold here. Getting out of bed early in the morning is a challenge. The cats are either glued to us or sitting in front of heat vents. Smart cats.

Mel
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #178  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I made it home ok, the drive back was a breeze (roads were perfectly dry, no backlogs anywhere and very nice clear and sunny weather [albeit extremely cold]). I had a decent time - precisely 10 hours. Not too bad considering I had to stop a couple of times for potty (both me and the dogs) etc. In Jackson, I I had lunch at Cracker Barrel - I had the roast beef with mashed potatoes, green beans and baby carrots. We don't have Cracker Barrel in Canada and I love their roast beef - I hardly ever spring for anything else. I left some of the mashers on the plate, although not the one half I had originally intended.
I was not even that tired in the evening - I watched movies and read mags until midnight, and if a phone call didn't wake me up at 9 am I would have slept much longer. :-)

I have to civilize the kitchen, finish my Amaretto coffee and then get myself to the gym. The floor wipers are a good idea, Mel, I have to start doing them again.
Pat, thanks for the Thai soup recipe - I am sure I will make it soon. I had excellent Tom Yum in Chicago.
Our office is closed between Xmas and New Year's but tech support staff is working. I am working tomorrow - blech.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote