Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #31  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Did I tell you that I did the walking lunge with opposite shoulder press again last week and couldn't keep them straight for anything? I was raising the same arm I was stepping with, or trying to raise both arms, or stepping the same foot forward twice in a row... I really thought I was more coordinated than that...
Keep practicing Shannon. I did it much better this week. Actually did it correctly for one whole set...

Cheryl - let me know when you figure out that cloing thing - I could use one! Hope your check makes it without being hit by the mailbox thieves.

Rabbit and Birch. Great job on exercising.

We have cold and rainy weather here too. DH has gone out on a round of errands which he swears will end at the gym. I'm doing laundry and baking some zucchini bread to take to a square dance in ANchorage tonight. When that's done I'll be off to the gym for what looks like a reasonable circuit, but I know will 5 sets of front squats, step-ups, push-ups, reverse push-ups (my personal nemesis), and roll-outs. Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, eh?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #32  
Mel

Gym done, cleaning done, and I'm all dressed up and off to a wedding. After yesterdays 250 squats, standing in high heels is a challenge!

I had a great food week...but now my dress is actually loose in the top which caused an underwear crisis! Why can't I choose where the fat comes off first

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #33  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I had a great food week...but now my dress is actually loose in the top which caused an underwear crisis! Why can't I choose where the fat comes off first

Mel
Choosing where the fat comes off is right up there with cloning yourself! I want both! have fun at the wedding Mel!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:58 AM   #34  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey all. Not winning today. The good news is, there's no possible way tomorrow could suck as bad as today did!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-04-2009 at 11:16 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #35  

Cheryl on the sucky day. I 'm sending good vibes :vibes: for today.

I made my workout commitment for this week. In view of yesterdays less than stellar performance I just did 30 mins of BW exercises and yoga. it has been a while since I did yoga and this has proven again that I am much less flexible than is good for me. On the plus side, I'm now able to feel that.

Next week I want to add another good habit: tallying the calories along the day so I will keep within my calorie budget. I'll not go around with scales and measuring cup but I have memorized some dimensions & numbers. I knew this all along but I need to actually do the math for it to sink in how much I can eat. and I'll prepare my munching veggies bowl today.

Mel- enjoy the wedding!

Re clothes falling off: I only lost a couple of pounds but it feels like my jeans are falling off my butt. Time to get out the smaller ones from the bottom of the closet. I actually do not get this as the jeans were fine, even thoight at the previous time at this weight.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #36  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Rabbit, I guess all that exercise is tightening everything up! Last time I was the same "size" I am now, I weighed 135 lbs. That's why I had to keep adjusting my "goal weight", lol. Good luck with your new habit, and congratulations on the weight loss/smaller pants size!

Wow, reread my post from last night. This is what comes of living on chocolate milk and beef jerky and staying up too late, sorry! Deleted most of the whining and ranting so the rest of you could be spared!

Today's plans are a movie with my boy, Costco shopping and some cooking, and picking up the new couch. Might do some kind of workout, since I missed yesterday's, but it will be a short one, or just lifting.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-04-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #37  
Working My Way Back Down

So yesterday's WO went pretty good - at least I was sweaty at the end (okay, less than midway ) and I'm sore this morning. In the evening we went to dinner at a friend's and then square dancing for 2.5 hours. Not quite aerobic, but plenty active.

TOday is a Hawaiian brunch at different friends' house, and this afternoon hopefully one of the last bike rides of the season. It's very overcast but not raining, and not too cold. We'll see what the afternoon brings (9:30 am now).

Good job, Rabbit. I've found the same as you and Cheryl on the sizes. Yay for exercise!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #38  
Mel

Cheryl- I didn't read the pre-edited post. Hope whatever is wrong was fixed up by a good night's sleep. If not, feel free to whine

Rest day today. Hahaha, what a misnomer! Chore day, really.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #39  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! And please share my joy that there is a lower number on the scales! Oh yes. But this has led me to yet another trousers (pants) crisis. They aren't falling down yet but they're held up with a turquoise silk sash. Sometimes my style is haute fancy-dress. I don't care.

Rabbit and Pat - good to be in the same club as you.

Cheryl - I read your unexpurgated post & sent good vibes. Here are more. :vibes: Er, I hesitate to um remark but could a wider range of food than CMilk and BJerky help??!

Mel - hope you had some rest & not all chores.

to everyone else. DB is off school today (undefined under the weather-ness which I think is actually a growth spurt) & there's lots of stuff to be done post builders. No gymn which is not so good.

Hope your day goes well.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #40  

Hi all,

Birch - good to see you!. I'm sure staying at home for general UW-ness will work wonders for Bs growthspurt. And congratulations on the latest fashion statement. Also congrats on getting the builders out.

Mel - hope you had some fun apart from the chores

Hi to Cheryl and Pat

I've been a good girl and did not celebrate the recent loss & smaller size. This has been my undoing at previous times: so overjoyed that I lost that I immediatelt undid all the work. So I hopped on the treadmill this morning and put in 30 mins run. Tonight will be powerclass. No wo tomorrow as I have a work related meeting 2.5 hours drive from here, but I'll be able to make up for that by biking to work on wednesday and joining my friend at a gym class. The wo plan is laid out for the week, and I will be practicing my new good habit of the month: talying calories over the day so that I know where I'm at. Over the weekend I have consistently lost track about 3 pm, and I hope the more structured working week will help me improve on that.

Also, I dug the smaller size pants out of the bottom of my closet. Now to put the big pants away, and keep them there! I also tried out my skinny jeans. No go. I could get into them but I couldn't button up. Still, 1 size smaller (even if these are stretchy) is good, I declare this a nsv.

What are all your plans for the week?
Have a great day all,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 10-05-2009 at 03:23 AM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #41  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So I bought and received the starting strength DVD. This morning I was doing squats. I definitely can't go as deep as others on the video and my arms complain about the lifting of elbows and back adjustment but I like it. My physical therapist told me early this year that my squat is good but I think I may be obsessed with squats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #42  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Birch, definitely better food would help. The diet kinda crashed and burned the past two days, just due to being on the road too much and no time to cook anything portable. I will try to do better this week!

Mel, it was NBD, just the guy I work with at the gym is a lazy one, and the mess he left me at the gym just made that job about 2 hours longer than it should have been. I'm hoping they really mean to fire him soon, as he's worse than worthless at cleaning.

to Pat and Rabbit (just since I have to go soon)

Yesterday we got the major bits done: workout clothes laundered, Costco trip done, new couch picked up (but still in the van...it's going to have to go to the gym with me, lol), and a movie date with my boy, which was fun. Spent a little time visiting with my friend who gave us the couch. She's been sick, and has a baby, her dh is deployed, so my boy entertained the dog (she has a pug) and I watched the baby so she could have a little break from mom duty to catch up on her dishes and get a few things done.

I'd better get going. I am in desperate need of a workout, since I didn't get one the past two days!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #43  
Just Me

Oh and I forgot to mention (speaking of laundry), we washed our Gis yesterday (karate outfits). They are 100% cotton and not preshrunk. I have to say I was a bit scared mine wouldn't fit but it fit fine. We ironed them and hemmed them to the right length.

I also don't know if I told the story of what happened last week. We were doing kicks in karate where we had to kick a foam pad that someone was holding. Anyway we kicked the pad with person all the way down about 50 feet. Then they kicked it (and us) back. Anyway, I looked down and my pants seemed longer than they should've been. I realized that my pants were falling down!! I was so focused on the kicking that I didn't realize my pants had been slipping. Luckily they didn't fall too far down.

Last edited by nelie; 10-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #44  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Nelie, if you mean lifting elbows on the barbell back squat, I can totally relate. I had trouble with that at first, too. I'm finally getting used to the low bar position and getting semi-coordinated with that lift. So, the DVD is good?
I would have been afraid of washing the Gi, too. I have the same fear when I buy new Carharrt stuff, because those things shrink up about 4 sizes the first time you wash them...I never know what size to get!

Rabbit, I wanted to comment on your post, particularly what you said about "celebrating" the weight loss. I find that I tend to do that..I get a new low on the scale, and that very day I'll blow it with something...an ice cream or taking the boy out to eat, and undo it overnight. I'm trying to not do that now, but I've noticed the pattern in myself. I think I get tired and whiney some days, and just wish I could be like those people who can just eat what they want and never gain an ounce, KWIM? I know I'll never be that person, but some days I like to delude myself and pretend.

Pat, hope the weather holds so you can get your bike ride in!

The CF report below:
------------------

Today's workout was just Tabata Push-ups and AbMat Sit-ups. I was a little devastated to see the AMSU up there, since I've been doing the challenge with my friend...these are hard when you never take a rest day from them, and we've agreed not to count the ones we do in the workouts. We're so stupid! In Tabatas, you only count your lowest number of reps. I got 6 for the push-ups, 6 for the sit-ups. Had 10 going on the sit-ups for a while, then about round 6 the number of reps just dropped like a bomb...could not sit up, at all, after 7 reps!

I asked my trainer if I could use his new 50 lb weight vest to run the mile. He said yes (he's very good at sharing), and said we're just doing heavy deads tomorrow, so that might be a good day for me to do it. I think he's assuming I mean to run it fast. I actually had just planned to use it for a warm-up, at a slower pace. Maybe it will be harder than I imagine, but I used to run 3+ miles when I was 60+ lbs heavier, so how hard could it be? Might be hard to breathe, since the weight is distributed across the chest and back...why don't they make a nice "slap that 50 lbs back on my hips and butt" contraption...with that, I could probably run all day!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-05-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #45  
Just Me

Cheryl - I have only watched the squat portion of the DVD but I do think it is good if you don't have someone to work squats with in person. I don't go to a gym so it is just me trying to practice on my own. It is quite repetitive and ideally you'd have someone watch it with you and watch your form to ensure you are following the guidelines.