Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Like My Trainer; the gym, not so much

After taking 4 intro personal training sessions at my gym, I decided to sign up for a bigger package. Now, I'm wondering if I acted too soon. I like my trainer very much, but find the gym to be somewhat dirty and frequently find machines in need of servicing or replacement. (Don't get me started on the condition of the mats!). There are seldom a matching pair of hand weights available. It's difficult to justify the $55/session with these conditions.

It's a mixed gender facility. Perhaps an all-women gym would have been a better choice? When I first took the tour, I hadn't observed these things. I've got another 14 sessions with my trainer. After that, I'm thinking of finding another gym - if not before

I'm also concerned that I may have started weight training too early and would have been better off investing more time in core exercises on my own.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It's never too early to start weight training - imo.

Have you said anything to your trainer or the manager about the conditions? Your trainer will be especially motivated to keep you around.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would agree with Lifeguard on both points. When I first started working out, it was weights that I started with and I think that was the best decision I ever made. I would also agree with talking to the personal trainer and/or manager about your concerns.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree about the weights. It will help you not lose muscle along with the fat, and since muscle is more metabolically active than fat, though not as much as we'd like, they'll sit there burning a few more calories for you. And since they're denser than fat, you'll look smaller as well!

I've had the "not so clean" gym problem myself. I started at Curves a number of years ago - and it was that way. THen I went a few times to a gym in the next town when the one in our town was closed, and in addition to not being clean, it was manned by teenagers who just wanted to talk on the phone and play annoying music on the loudspeaker. I was glad to get back to my own gym (several months, though).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #5  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I just recently joined the gym as well...but havn't had the poor experience you have had. I would bring your concerns to management (the thought of losing a client may make them do something). But, I also find that when I said I was going to work out at home... I didn't. I also signed up for a personal trainer because she makes me do the things I need to do rather than doing what I don't mind doing.

Hope you find a happy medium...maybe try speaking to management and if something isn't done...find another gym. I would check your contract to see if you can get reimbursed for the training before leaving for good.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #6  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

It's good that you're weight training. The earlier the better. If the gym is dirty and you don't like it...get your money back and find a better one. They cannot keep your money if you are not satisfied.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree with everyone else, you can't start weight training too early. I also started with weight training, with a trainer, then added cardio later. I do lots of work on strengthening my core with my trainer, so much so that I actually stand a full inch taller than I used to. I'm 40, so I'm quite certain I haven't grown; I think my posture is just that much improved from all the core work that I do with my trainer. So you should get that from your training sessions--if you don't feel like you are, you should talk to your trainer about it.

I don't mean to invalidate your concerns--if you really don't like your gym than you should absolutely check out some other ones. But I also think that good trainers are not exactly a dime a dozen; I'd be willing to put up with an otherwise less than satisfactory gym for a trainer that I really liked. Although it would also depend on how much I was paying for the gym and the training sessions and just how bad the gym was.

I don't know how bad your gym is, but it's worth bearing in mind that, with any gym, there are a lot of people in and out of the gym and not all of them have the best hygiene and some of them don't use the machines appropriately. In my experience, unless you belong to a very high-end gym (with commensurately high fees for both the membership and training), there's likely to be some dirt and some broken machines. I'd be more concerned with how quickly the machines get fixed than that they are breaking. There's almost always a couple of machines broken at my gym, but my monthly fees are ridiculously low and I have a fantastic trainer. There's enough machines that a few broken ones don't usually matter and they get fixed in a reasonable timeframe. My gym could be cleaner, but I've seen worse. Based on the condition of the women's locker room at both my gym and the pool where I swim, an all-women facility does not necessarily guarantee that it will be any cleaner.

Mats are pretty inexpensive and portable; you could always just buy your own and bring it with to the gym.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #8  
gym rat from Tokyo

I agree with the other people. I would bring up the issue of hygiene to management at the gym since it's something quite basic and that they should be working on.

Exercise wise, it's definitely better to start weight training with a trainer from the beginning! Form is so important and I think doing weight training exercises with a trainer are the best investment you can do for yourself in your weight loss efforts That's my personal opinion.
my3monthchallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #9  

I like to focus on doing activities I enjoy. So then it's not really "exercising" per se.

So I keep it very fun and relaxed (running on trails around our local lake). I think one of the biggest keys to sticking with an exercise regimen is finding something you actually enjoy doing.

A while back I started an exercise regimen and got up at 6am every morning to do a workout video. But it didn't last, because it wasn't any fun. I'd rather be out running!
fitnessgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #10  

If the gym really bothers you, ask your trainer if he trains outside of the gym. Some trainers train outside their gym as well.
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #11  
Graceful Loser

I go to a Curves - expensive, but worth it.

The one I attend is SO clean. They actually close from 1:00-3:00 everyday to clean down the equipment and stock the water machine. It's insane how tidy they are. And as we exercise, the owner sprays water into the air to humidify the room - helps speed the metabolism and keeps us hydrated. He actually adds a single drop of Victoria Secret perfume and it's just wonderful.

I just started going, but I really like it there. The atmosphere is almost like a family. They have the whole place decorated cutely with Curves merch (I know WHY, but hey .. it's business!) and the trainers aren't too loud, they're just motivating enough. They show you when you're doing something wrong, so you don't hurt yourself.

I always leave tired and high on endorphins!

The only qualm I have is I wish it was closer .. twenty minutes away is a little much, but hey .. it's worth it!

I have a treadmill at home that I use, too. Plus resistence bands and barbells. I also have a small collection of workout DVDs, just for fun.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Get a new gym. It sounds as if you go to a gym that is geared towards more traditional lifting (barbell and plates only), so they don't give a hoot about the machines or lighter dumbbells. Gross!

Take your money elsewhere. It is NEVER too soon or too late to do weight training - even an elderly grandmother should be using the yellow bands to help strengthen her bones! Some girls learn fundamental lifting techniques at age 10 or so, let me tell you - those girls feel strong, healthy, and probably have better athletic ability and self-esteem than other girls when they hit middle school. Bottom line: training is for EVERYONE.

I'm going to have to disagree about an all-female gym. IN MY EXPERIENCE (warning!), gyms geared specifically towards females do not push them hard enough and perpetuate myths about light weights and toning. You can push iron like the men.

Go check out local gyms. REAL gyms will allow you to comb through their weight rooms and check out equipment before joining.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote