Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/129/115

Height: 5'5'

Default Building muscle while trying to lose the last 10lbs.???

Yesterday, me and my bf got a gym membership. It was the first time I had worked out in a gym in 8 months. A little background info... I have been relying on a clean diet since the new year to help me losse the 10lbs I had gained from where I am now. I have only recently started exercising like I used to (I have done four days on my eliptical and then one day at the gym so far.) I always find it a problem to lose weight when I am working out. I definately feel a difference in my muscles already since they are so sore I couldn't move this morning... and feel sort of bloated as if I'm retaining water - Does that happen when you begin a workout routine?

We are planning on going to the gym Monday Wednesday Friday and sunday. 30 mins of weights, some abs then 30mins of cardio. I also plan to do cardio at home on tuesdays and thursdays for 30 mins. Ive gained 3 lbs 129-132 in only 4 days... how does that happen?! I want to lose about 10 lbs while working out and it just doesnt seem probable to me. A year ago when I use to go to the gym religously I was at the same weight now and could not lose anything. Im sorry for such a long post - Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
blondeblueeyedbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

YES when you are sore your body will retain water to help your body repair. This is a good thing and if you keep up you will see amazing things happen.
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

So, you'll probably get other folks advise here along with mine. I wanted to share about the weight gain and muscle work. Also suggest a strategy for those last 10 pounds.

First, muscle weighs more than fat. As you build muscle, you could be gaining muscle weight but losing fat. What is your final goal: firm, trim body that healthy and strong for long and productive life? You might find the weight gain fine in that case. For me, I needed to lose straight weight to relieve my knees from pain. So, I'm carefully losing weight to a specific target while also watching out for firmness and being trim (which is my ultimate goal but my short-term is just weight).

Also, bone is heavy. This is built up along with the muscles. It is good to have strong bones.

My suggestion, and watch for others' advise here, is to consider HIIT (or high intensity interval training). You can google this and check out the various blogs within Prevention magazine and books along with 3fatchicks and other places. I've been very happy with my Firm 500 calorie burn workout dvd which is basically along similar lines. So, I've been looking up on-line more about HIIT. It really does seem extremely easy. So, I've been researching a bit more to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Basically, it's a two-phase cycle of x seconds of intense high exercise cycled with x or y seconds of lower level exercise. So, I've been doing 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds gentle jogging in place, 30 seconds "mountain climber", 30 seconds gentle jogging in place. I have a long list of kinds of high intensity activities for my living room: jumping jacks, high knees, jumping tires, football drills, in-line skater, butt kicks, "burpies", etc.

I've built up a lot of indurance so I do these intervals for 30-45 minutes depending on my schedule for the morning (also with a 55 or 65 minute aerobics exercise dvd).

I have a six pound goal to lose before vacation in three weeks. So, I'm very closely tracking my calories and doing intervals (which I've just started in last couple days).
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ditto what Jewelie said-- the TEMPORARY weight gain after working out doing strength training is from your muscles retaining water trying to repair themselves.... Give it more time..you will start to find your BF% is dropping, even if your gaining muscle mass....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/129/115

Height: 5'5'

Thanks for all of the great input. It feels great to be exercising again... I actually have ENERGY! I do feel less bloated today, so I hope it goes away soon.
blondeblueeyedbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote