3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   JULY- melt the fat, make the muscle! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/175630-july-melt-fat-make-muscle.html)

ennay 07-10-2009 07:42 PM

sigh...well with being on vacation all week it isnt necessarily surprising to me that I have slacked on the weights again. (does throwing my son in the air a gazillion times count). But I'm not sure I'll be able to lift heavy on Monday. LAST friday I fell and skinned my palms and bruised them badly and even with gloves, heavy weight hurts.

Shannon in ATL 07-10-2009 09:56 PM

Pat & Cheryl - you inspired me! I opted for cutting my grass and doing all the edging as tonight's cardio! And, it wasn't very cool... But, my 80 degree house felt a lot cooler coming back inside after being in the 90 degree outside for an hour and a half!

midwife 07-10-2009 10:48 PM

No air conditioning? In Atlanta? In July???? Isn't that illegal? That should be an emergency situation, and I am partially serious....that could be a health hazard. Doesn't it get humid there?

Our latest trip was to Gatlinburg, TN, for a family reunion. Since it was mountainous, it wasn't too hot, thank goodness. We took a rambling route to stop in and see some colleges for DD, so NM to TN via San Antonio....yeah, not exactly on the way!

I talked to my trainer and told her I want to focus on heavier lifting....she says she'll put together a workout for me....I may live to regret my request!

Lydia227 07-11-2009 08:38 AM

Midwife: Welcome back home. Lifting heavier is a good way to put those extra calories you took in to good use. :devil: Enjoy your new routine.

Ennay: Sorry about the skinned palms. Ouch. That would make be incredibly sad to return from a break in lifting and too injured to pick anything up. How about cable exercises...? Is that an option. The handles are padded. :hug:

Shannon: SWIMMING POOL. Take DSS to the pool for the entire time he is with you so the lack of AC is not quite as annoying. Perfect excuse for doing little else. Besides, the yards already done.

Had a great workout with Mel yesterday morning. Sorry, no pics this time. She arrived around 8:30am and when I glanced overhead at the clock as we walked out it was 11:00am. No wonder I was hungry. After the workout we hit Panera for lunch...salads with chicken, no bread, of course.

I introduced Mel to our Med Ball warm up, then we did some work with BOSUs, rings, "Peter Pans," and various lifts. We also spent some time working on the Turkish Get Up. I love this move but it's going to take some practice for me to perfect it. There's just a lot to "think" about while doing it. I also promise not to have anyone within twenty feet of me. Yep, I dropped the dumb bell from overhead about three feet from Mel's head. Great fun. Learned a lot, and can't wait to get back in there to practice everything to perfection.

Today is clean out the closets and basement day. The dumpster is now costing me 5.00 extra a day and I want to get rid of much as possible. My neighbors are having a party tonight so I have that to look forward to as a reward.

Have a great weekend everyone. :sunny:

midwife 07-11-2009 10:33 AM

Oh, and Tomato, guac is guacamole. Mmmmmm......we make it the lazy way, smashed avocado with salsa mixed in.

Tomato 07-11-2009 11:26 AM

Duh .... Now I feel silly for asking. Of course. Hanging my head in shame. :-)

Too bad there are no pics from Mel and Lydia's workout.

Shannon in ATL 07-11-2009 11:32 AM

Midwife - no AC in Atlanta in July should be illegal, yes... and with DHs asthma and DSSs nosebleeds, definitely a health hazard... The repair company had no sympathy, though... They said 'at least it has been cooler this week'. Right... 90 instead of 100... I poured my coffee over ice this morning, pretty good actually... :)

Lydia - I have no idea where a community pool is near me, but I have a week to find one! Great idea!

Mel & Lydia, sounds like you guys had a great workout!

Ennay - ouch on the skinned hands! Be careful!

Alena - I was hoping for pictures, too! :)

DH ended up having to go in to work today, so I'm about to change and try for some strength training in the garage before it gets too hot. I'm sure I burn more calories in the heat in the house, because I can see how many more I'm burning for the same workout on my HRM in the warmer garage... :)

Good weekend everyone!

Mel 07-11-2009 12:13 PM

Nope, no pics. We went sans camera. We really had a great time tho working out, teaching each other new exercises, then Lydia threw the dumbbell at me! and I thought we were getting along so well :rofl: Seriously, we had a great time, then talked and talked and talked over lunch. Once she gets settled in VA, we should have a mid-Atlantic meet up with nelie and Fran.

It's pouring here now with thunder and lightening. DD and I were planning on a bike ride this morning, but settled on going to her gym instead. Much safer! I did a very short kettle bell workout, and slow cardio. Her gym is great with all the toys, and VERY luxurious.

Welcome back, midwife!

Mel

Shannon in ATL 07-11-2009 02:12 PM

So I followed a link from Nelie in another post and found myself at Krista's 'lo-tech a** busting' all dumbbell circuits... I was looking for something less time consuming, and tiring, than my 1.5 hour strength training sessions. So, I did this one for the 20 minutes she says, thinking 'that looks easy'...

day 1 - circuit A

1. dumbbbell swing
2. dumbbell squat + overhead press combo
Squat down holding dumbbells at shoulders, then press up smoothly as you ascend from the squat. Lower dumbbells to shoulders before squatting down again.
3. horizontal pullups
If you’re at home, you can use a sturdy table for these — just lie with your head underneath and legs poking out, grab the tabletop with an underhand grip, and pull up while keeping your body straight like a plank. If you don’t have anything you can use, do regular dumbbell rows instead.

Made four reps of the series in my 20 minutes, did one armed rows on my ball instead of pullups - didn't figure out I could use the treadmill for the pullups until after I was done, so did 10 of those at the end. Was pretty darn winded by the end, went to stand up and was a little shakey, but alright. Followed it with 35 mins on my stationary bike, and then did my 10 minute ab series. Flipped over for my 'down dog/updog streching series to finish up and realized exactly how unstable my arms were... Wowza! Teach me to think 'that looks' easy again!

I do need heavier dumbells, though. The eight isn't cutting it anymore, particularly for things like swings (though I really want a kettleball for those I think...), and trying to hold the 8 & the 5 overlapped is making my hand hurt, and the off balance of it can't be good for my wrist... Though, in reading another link from Nelie to stumptuous, I remembered I have five bags of playsand in the backyard that we let get all wet and icky so isn't good for sandbox... Might try the lifting sandbags exercise sometime! :)

BTW, what is a 'regular dumbbell row'? I find several different things when I google that...

Sorry about the rain, Mel! It is sunny and hot hot hot here today...

midwife 07-11-2009 03:49 PM

Sounds like you are having a fun trip, Mel!!

That's quite a workout, Shannon. I tend to underestimate workouts and later regret it.

So, trainer did not disappoint. Upper body workout with very heavy weights. I'll be feeling it Monday, that's for sure! Then dh wanted to go on a bike ride so I got some cardio and some legs (my quads were dying on some of the hills). I ran out of energy toward the end, but made it home and was starving. I love those packets of salmon....and chomped a packet with some beans and tomatoes. Very satisfying!!

Shannon in ATL 07-11-2009 05:13 PM

Midwife, I totally love those salmon packets, too.... DH doesn't eat them and isn't fond of the smell, so I typically take them to work for snacks, or eat them when he isn't here. :)

I did totally underestimate that circuit... my arms are pretty sore right now... :dizzy:

Sounds like you had a great workout, too!

ETA: ooo, I totally want this... They have a 20lb and a 40 lb version...

http://www.weiderfitness.com/wcsstor.../WAWKB2008.jpg

Tomato 07-11-2009 07:48 PM

That's a nice looking toy, Shannon.

I made it to they gym a bit too late, only about 55 minutes before the closing time but I did the best I could. About 7 minute warm on the elliptical and then weights. I did arms and a wee bit of shoulders and back; I didn't bother following any specific workout routine just whatever crossed my mind but I am already feeling it a little.

I bought a nice sleeveless top today, so I need to focus on the arms. Of course I will have to figure out if I have a bra to wear with it (one that doesn't show anywhere). ;-)

A monsoon downpour here this morning. THe hydrangeas took a beating but they are in a better shape than I thought they would be.

WaterRat 07-11-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

I poured my coffee over ice this morning, pretty good actually...
Shannon, a staple drink in New England! My parents used to put coffee ice cream in theirs.... DH and I still keep a container of coffee in the fridge in the summer, in fact, I just finished some.

And I definitely like kettle bells better than DBs for swinging. :) Krista has some killer work-outs that look deceptively easy.... And that's an interesting way to do a reverse push-up, which the PN program has us doing oftener than I'd choose....

I've done 45 minute of lawnmower-cardio, and got way too hot. I'm happy the computer is in the nice cool basement. I figure I've got about 1/4 of the mowing done, but it's better for my mental health at least to do it in sections. That guy better get our riding mower finished quickly! In reality he said 2 weeks :(

Shannon in ATL 07-11-2009 09:02 PM

Alena - I've been researching the bra with clear straps recently... My SIL had one on at Father's Day and had a much easier time with her tank top than I did... Victoria's Secret has a nice convertible one, but I haven't tried it on yet...

Pat - I tried the hanging pullup earlier on my breakfast room table and it is no where near sturdy enough... the treadmill works, I just need to put a piece of cardboard or plywood over the tread so it won't roll under my heels. :) And, I would totally split the yard in two if I had your yard, too! Hope the mower is done soon!

silverbirch 07-12-2009 02:24 AM

Busy thread. I don't think I can keep up.

Up early and I've just weighed myself. Not too good. All this nose and teeth and back stuff has taken its toll. I'm telling myself that now that most of it has been sorted out, the road is clear for sensible eating and exercise. Except that the school summer holidays have just begun ... We're going to Oxford for 10 days on Wednesday. I plan to run (like I suggested Kim might do on her Oxford trip a few weeks ago).

Have a good day, everyone. :) All the mowing seems to have been done (apart from here and the rain will put a stop to that).