3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   JULY- melt the fat, make the muscle! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/175630-july-melt-fat-make-muscle.html)

jamsk8r 07-06-2009 02:22 PM

Hey peeps, :wave:

More weedwacking and some tree trimming to do today, so just a flyby with the CF report:

Today we did a hero tribute WOD, for a friend of one of our guys that got killed in Afghanistan:

"Christian"
Row 250 meters
25 Wall Ball (20# men/14# women)
5 Clean & Jerk (135#/95#)
25 Wall Ball
5 Clean & Jerk
25 Wall Ball
5 Clean & Jerk
Row 250 meters

My time was 13:38 using 75# for C&J, 8# ball for wall ball (all the 12# and 14# balls were in use). It was a short but brutal, sweaty, oxygen-depriving workout. Okay, off to work! I'll check in with you all later.

silverbirch 07-07-2009 06:38 AM

A busy weekend in which I got soaked to the skin several times. I did not climb any mountains though some of the visitors did (their verdict: challenging). And the garden is growing nicely, thank you, Alena!

FB workout this am. All done and I'm quite pleased with myself. :)

Lifeguard - nice to see you. Well done for getting back here!

Must dash. Work calls. Have a good day, one and all.

Mel 07-07-2009 07:31 AM

Kitty is Marbles and no longer a terrorist :) She's calmed down a lot and gets along well with the older cat.

Cardio done. I'd love to go to cross fit today but I'm leaving for Ohio tomorrow morning early and haven't packed. I expect my son will show up in the evening with a TON of muddy stinky laundry that we have to get through before we leave in the morning. I'm pushing him out of the car near Cleveland to visit friends of his, then heading to Columbus to visint dd. She works with a couple of cross fitters sho wanted to know if "I'd swallowed the cool-aide" :lol: So maybe I'll try cross fit Ohio!

:wave:
Mel

Tomato 07-07-2009 09:55 AM

Good morning, chickies!

Mel, will you be stopping in Lydiaville?

Bummer!!! I went swimming at lunch time yesterday only to find out that the rec centre changed the hours and now there is nearly no lane swim available. While until now, the lane swim was open all day until 3:50 pm, they slashed it down to 12:05-1:20. So all the people who swam in the afternoon will have squeeze into the short slot. How stupid. There is some lane swim from 5:45 am to 9:45 am but that’s impractical for me because I would have to drive a distance, go swimming, return home to take care of the dogs, and drive the entire route back to work. (I am very religious about not extending the time when the dogs cannot go outside). So I will have to consider if I want to do all that driving early in the morning, it would also mean getting up at 5 am. But I am REALLY annoyed by the stupid change, I totally understand they need to slash the hours during summer but if it was at least from 12:00 to 2:00 pm, that would allow more even “distribution” of the sardines in the tin, errr, people in the pool.

Legs/core bootcamp this morning, I am totally lunged out. We lunged across the gym at least 8 times with a kettlebell (adding a torso twist to the lunges). When I was leaving, I really wished the gym had escalators (or, “movators” as my grocery store call it) by the entrance like in the pic Depalma posted, my legs were jello and going downstairs was a pain in the neck. Ok, nuff whining.

I'll check in later.

Alena

Lifeguard 07-07-2009 10:20 AM

Alena - most of the time when I guarded lane swims the majority of the swimmers showed up right at the beginning of the time slot. The last half of the swim tended to be quite quiet. I don't know at what point in the swim time you arrived but you might want to try a little bit closer to the end.

Tomato 07-07-2009 03:19 PM

Hi LG - thanks for the tip! I actually didn't swim yesterday as I got there just before or at 1 pm so there were only 20 minutes left. Knowing that, I opted not to because it was not worth it. So I don't know how busy it was. I only wish the lunch slot was a little bit longer as most people come for around 40, 45 minutes of swimming - that is at least what I observed without checking on anyone in particular. Most people who come for lane swim are "regulars" - I see them all the time. Oh well. Hopefully they will switch to a more accommodating schedule in September.

Shannon in ATL 07-07-2009 03:25 PM

Alena - elliptical HIIT... well, midwife told me once that her trainer said you couldn't get a high enough heart rate on an elliptical to truly qualify as HIIT, but I don't seem to have that problem... I have two different programs that have a similar patterns that I use for HIIT, one 30 mins, one 45. The only difference is the length of times at each level. They start at a low resistance, level 2 on the 30 min, 3 on the 45, and gradually move up to a high level with 2-3 minute intervals in a stairstep pattern up high, drops back down to a lower setting, but higher than it started, works up again, then repeats that pattern two more time. I think the resistance goes something like 1,2,(warmup) 3,5,7,9,4,6,8,10,3,5,7,9,4,6,8,10,12 (1 minute burst), 6,4,2,1 on the 45 minute, similar on the 30 minute just shorter blocks on each resistance level, starts at a little lower resistance level. My heart rate usually varies from 145ish to 185-190 on the high parts. I also change the incline at every low point (mine will go up to a 30 degree incline). So long answer, for yes, I think that starting at 5 and working up to 8 in 2-3 minute intervals would definitely produce more of a difference. :) And the total body sounds great. I wouldn't like the random because I like to have the control of knowing what is coming for the HIIT. If I was just going for standard cardio the random could be fun.

Mel - finding a comfortable mattress is hard... i have one, but haven't flipped it in forever, so I'm afraid it may soon be uncomfortable.. I need a new pillow, and am a little sore today because of that, myself... Enjoy your trip!

Cheryl - hope your carb/sugar cravings are gone! I've been beating mine back with a stick for the last few days. Sounds like a great CF yesterday! Are they all named with people names?

Silver - good job on the FB workout this morning!

I did my over the top strength training routine again yesterday while waiting for the HVAC tech - I really tried to trim out some exercises, but just kept putting them back in later in the program. I'm going to work on it. :) After he left I ran on the treadmill to get out some stress, so 2.5 hours of exercise yesterday... a little stiff today... :)

Have a good day everyone!

jamsk8r 07-07-2009 04:39 PM

Shannon, no, most of the workouts we do are not named. They usually only name the super evil ones. ;)

Workout is done. Running focus day:
Run 800, rest 2 mins
Run 400, rest 2 mins
Run 800, rest 2 mins
Run 400, collapse

I knocked 21 seconds off my previous 800 meter time. :carrot:, and all times were better than anything I'd done before: 4:33/2:03/4:52/2:06. I wanted to die when the second 800 came up. :faint: I just need a shirt that says, "Oxygen is for sissies!"

My son's cat has a yucky eye and half his face is swollen up. So, we're off to the vet now, to see what sort of stupid cat tricks he's been up to THIS year. (sigh...) PS- so you don't think I'm a bad pet owner, doing 3FC while the cat's injured, I'm just sitting here because the vet won't be back in the office for another 35 mins.

WaterRat 07-07-2009 06:39 PM

:wave: I'm back! Wow, you folks have been busy this month!

Welcome back, Tiki! And Lifeguard, too. Hard to believe it was as long ago as Oct that you had a baby - where does the time go??

I had a great trip. Lots of relaxing, pampering, shopping, and - oops - eating. I did workout the first few days, then got this nasty chest cold that really cut into my ability to breathe..... I've still got a wheezy cough, but I'm chancing some cardio tonight. I'm a week behind in my PN lifting, but I'm just jumping in where they are.

Speaking of carbs - you were somewhere here - the PN program has us eating "dense" carbs only as a post-workout meal, though we can have a small amount at another meal some days. Those carbs from fruits/veggies are okay other times. I have been working on early morning workouts, and that's good for me as I really like oatmeal. I do have 1/4 cup or so of brown rice with some dinners.

Love the new kitty Mel. Ours were very confused with the two of us gone individually or at the same time for 2+ weeks. Housesitter kept them in line though.

Alena - boo on the swimming times being cut. We have the same issue it turns out. I just looked and got this message

WE HAVE AFTERNOON OPEN SWIM ON MONDAYS, WEDNESDAYS AND THURSDAYS FROM 3:00-5:00PM ONLY--WE HAVE 6:30-8:30PM OPEN SWIM MONDAYS THROUGH FRIDAYS UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS BACK UP!

Shannon - glad you have AC back. I can't imagine GA heat without it. Heck we have it in the library, and it's only 77 here. Very muggy as well, which is unusual.

Cheryl - I was in Seattle on Sunday, and the bus driver taking us around (cruise related tour to occupy the time between landing and flying out at 5 pm) was telling us about the fireworks for the 4th. I imagine that you were in Tacoma though? We actually were in Victoria BC for the 4th, but Butchart Gardens has fireworks every Sat night in the summer, so we got our fix. :)

Okay, I'd better geet back to this mess of work that accumulated....

Lifeguard 07-07-2009 06:49 PM

Pat - I found the PN plan was really good for me. I'm having a tough time getting back on track now but knowing I could have the carbs after a workout really made it easier for me to not have the carbs the rest of the day.

Tomato 07-07-2009 06:57 PM

Pat - FRUSTRATED SWIMMERS UNITE!!!
Nice to have you back.

Ladies (and gents), would you pls glance at my question re electrolytes?
I posted it in the Exercise forum as it seemed more appropriate there. For your convenience, here is the clicky.

silverbirch 07-08-2009 06:05 AM

Crawling in this morning. After the FB workout yesterday am I bought the boy (9) a tennis racket. Of course, we had to try it out. Only knock-about tennis but it was cardio, pure and simple. He's not very accurate yet so that means I run about a lot! And then this morning was a cardio morning. Yes. I can feel it, friends.

Have a good day, all. :chicken: for tea tonight. (Is this a new one?)

Mel 07-08-2009 07:36 AM

Alena- I put my answer on your question thread. The short answer, a dill pickle and 1/2 banana.

Off to Ohio. I hope I can stay awake. No cardio this morning, and I think that's what starts my heart each day :)

Mel

Tomato 07-08-2009 09:23 AM

Mel, have a nice trip!!!

Shannon, I forgot to thank you for your answer re the elliptical. The annoying thing is that they are all so different. I don't think my elliptical (ie. at the gym) has an incline setting? I will have to check out the other options it has.

Birchie - I am joing you in the crawl this morning. I wasn't kidding yesterday when I said I was all lunged out. Towards the evening, my glutes started to feel really funny and this morning, walking is possible only with extreme difficulty. Let's just say that my glutes feel as if they suddenly grew some pointed extentions - think about about the cone shaped bustier Madonna wore on her Blond Ambition tour hahaha. Who knew it can hurt so much to sit down LOL. But it's a good thing.

And actually the instructor who never checks our form did something good yesterday. Turns out I was doing my dips completely wrong and that's most likely while my shoulders always hurt so much after my tricep workouts. Instead of my triceps doing the work I was using my shoulders. So I will have to work on this and I am happy she pointed it out to me.

Wishing you all a nice day.

Alena

P.S.
This is what my butt feels like:
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/2...485-slarge.jpg

Shannon in ATL 07-08-2009 01:21 PM

Alena - :rofl: with the visual of your butt and those pointy cones!! And, I've done that same changing resistance program on my elliptical that I described with a steady incline and had solid HIIT results as well. I found as I got used to the elliptical I either had to ramp up the level of resistance on the intervals, or try the incline. I bought this specific machine for the incline feature, so figured I would use it. :)

Mel - be safe on your trip and have fun!

Silver - I do a lot of running with tennis as well, because I'm really terrible at it. :)

Pat - welcome back!

I'm not quite back to normal AC yet - he loaded it up with freon to tide us over until next week when we are scheduled for a new evaporator coil install on Wednesday. I'm hoping it hangs on until then... last freon load lasted a little over a week... The tech said 'at least it is a cool time of the summer for ac trouble...' Well, might be cooler than the 100 degrees of a few weeks ago, but it is still hot enough in my house to melt the lipstick in my cosmetic bag under the bathroom counter, as I discovered this morning... :( That's okay though, just made me look scraggly again today... got caught in a rainstorm yesterday coming back from filing something at the courthouse so had my hair in my eyes all day with that frizzy air dried look, today I have no lipstick. My boss is going to talk to me about the 'professional appearance' part of the dress code before the week is out, I bet...

Good day everyone!