Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #31  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lydia,
Congrats to your DS!

I did a 45 minute Pilates class yesterday morning and then 45 minutes of laps in the afternoon. I was hoping for a nice hatrick (or is the correct spelling hattrick??) and go to a Zumba class in the evening but a friend called telling me he is leaving town for a while and we wanted to get together for a chat, so I sacrificed the Zumba.

Shoulders/arms tonight and spinning class tomorrow morning. I am hoping to get some gardening done before showers move in on Sunday.
Wishing you all a nice weekend, oh and I am planning to try Kim's shoulder exercises.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 06-05-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #32  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey peeps.

Well, I've had almost 2 weeks of being sick, and sporadic workouts. I've still got a bit of a cough left, but I think it was just the change in the weather, after all, and am taking myself out of quarantine (aka gym exile, lol).

My sisters schemed behind my back, and for my birthday which is coming up this month, they paid for a month of crossfit training at my gym...how cool is that?! So, I'm going in this morning. I'm looking forward to it, since working out all by myself at home is not near as much fun.

I did finally get a full ROM chin-up, all by myself. I can only do one at a time and have to rest in between, but it's more than I had last week, so I'm quite happy with that.

I'll catch up on posts later. For now, just wanted to check in, so you'd know I was still alive!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #33  
Workin' It

Hey Cheryl! Glad you are feeling better! A month of crossfit is a cool birthday present!

Lydia - those graduation ceremonies are so sweet. Congrats to DS, and to you for helping him get there.

Wow - I did the YWTL exercise last night on my swiss ball and I completely underestimated them. Yowie! My Y is pretty terrible - I started with way too much weight and changed down to no weight. My W & T were both pretty good, used 8 pound DB for those, my L I used 5. And, I hummed YMCA in my head the entire time.

A good strength training session last night, more dumbbell & ball than Weider, followed up by 20 minutes on the stationary bike. Got up and did some treadmill HIIT this morning. Hopefully it will be a good day, and a good weekend.

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #34  
Working My Way Back Down

Wow, Cheryl, how cool is that! Your sisters certainly know how to please you.

I'm still working on my "practice" exercises, which BTW can make me pretty sore! Enjoying being back in the gym regularly though. I'm thinking some biking on the weekend, provided the predicted showers stay away.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #35  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Great job on the pull-ups, Cheryl! The first one is the roughest. (Well, maybe not, after seeing the pullup reps in the crossfit workouts!) Alena: YWTLs are deceptive! Pat: would you and your fellow Alaska residents use up those showers for me this week, pretty please!

I'm scribbling this from the comforts of my room in the UK. I'm too knackered to go out tonight for dinner, thanks to a 7.5 mile hike today across hill and dale in the English countryside. (Free day from work = hop on a bus and explore!) This on top of 6 miles yesterday and 4 the day before... and, if I can crawl out of bed tomorrow, I'll go for another walk before I leave for an airport. I never did find a gym worth the day membership fee, but I'm completely over it. I needed a change of pace, so to speak, anyway!

Be strong,
Kim

Last edited by kaw; 06-05-2009 at 03:43 PM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #36  
Working My Way Back Down

Are you on your way here, Kim? The long range forecast is - sorry - overcast, even in Fairbanks. Of course you know how accurate our forecasts are.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #37  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Hey peeps, thanks for all the replies! I just finally got caught up on reading this thread. I was a little behind, but am caught up on all the news now.

Mel, I'm glad you're enjoying the CF experience. I am hopelessly addicted. Today my trainer said we can work out a lower rate that I can afford, because she doesn't want me to have to stress about it or do the on/off training bit. Her and her DH (who is the one I work with the most in the mornings) are great people, and have been very good to me! I'm excited about being able to keep training with my CF gym year round, rather than just temporary for this summer. I'm with you on keeping the workout a surprise. It's best I don't know what it is till I get there, otherwise I'd be more likely to skip stuff I don't like doing, I'm sure! Also, not knowing what the WOD is keeps me going, because I don't want to miss anything super cool!

This morning I went in, and it said "Back Squats" on the board. I was all ready for an easy day, but my trainer gave me his evil laugh, and pointed to a running/abs torture WOD from the day before, and said I had to do that, since I'd been out. So, I did that first, then did the squats anyway, lol.

The WOD:
Run 300 meters
2 mins L-sit (tucks for me, time is 2 mins accumulated)
Run 300
21 KTE (knees to elbows, or best effort, while hanging from the pull-up bar)
Run 300
50 Abmat Sit-ups (usually easy, but not so after the other ab stuff)

My time was 17:49, a little slow, but not too shab for a first day back.

Took a rest for some "holding the cute baby people" therapy, then my other trainer from the beginner class showed up to work out, so we shared a rack for back squat warm-ups. My form was crap for a few sets, because it was my first time trying to do them barefoot. Different from running shoes, for sure. My friend let me try her weightlifting shoes for one set. Talk about cheating! I need me some of them shoes now, lol! Big difference for squats!

Did sets of 5 reps each for back squats:
85 (previous PR)
then the work sets, the WOD was 5-5-5 Across (3 sets of 5 reps with the same weight, with rest in between sets as needed):
95(PR)-95-95

Happy about the PR, but mainly was working on my form, which gets better each time. It was a bit harder to get the depth without any heel (barefoot), but once I got used to that, it was easier to go heavy without the running shoes on.

Anyway, had fun, was happy to see my friends, and relieved to know I can keep up my training after this summer. I asked my morning trainer (the DH) if he would teach me the strongman stuff, so I could do the local strongman charity competition next fall, and he said he would, and thought I could get my lifts up where they need to be by then. Strongman is one of his favorite things, so if anybody can train me how to lift like a beast, it's him. I don't expect to be all that, being as I'm not a spring chicken, but I just hope to be able to put in a respectable showing, KWIM?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #38  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Strongman is one of his favorite things, so if anybody can train me how to lift like a beast, it's him.
"...lift like a beast..." you crack me up! I'm glad that they are creating a plan that enables you to continue. They must recognize the dedication you have toward this. Cool birthday gift all the way around!

I've never done a back squat without shoes. I'm assuming it's a little more difficult? I'm thinking the challenge for me would be grounding myself during the descent. Hmmm. Interesting. Oh and great job with the chin up! They are exhausting but worth the effort.

Alena: How's the gardening going this weekend. I'm in the middle of mine. The front yard looks great. I fizzled out during the backyard. Maybe tomorrow.

Kim: Enjoy your hikes through the English countryside. The outdoors is one of the very best gyms when the weather is nice.

Mel: Don't go looking for an excuse to stress. I'm surprisingly optimistic about this summer. Just a sense, we'll see how it goes right?

I've skipped the gym for three days in a row. I need to get back in there tomorrow or I'm afraid I'll turn into a pumpkin. I have a new ab exercise I want to try out anyway.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Friday's exercise session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical (finally, a good sweaty workout! Heart rate average 129!)
* 1 hr core/back/lower body weight resistance workout on floor/stability & medicine balls (I'm such a DOOFUS! I finally figured out why my arms are more sore than usual! I advanced from 15 lb dumbbells to 20 lb dumbbells for triceps moves instead of going from 15 lb dumbbells to 17.5 lb dumbbells! At least I didn't do an upper body workout today, so I can let my arms - somewhat sore - to get back to normal without hurting myself more in the process ... and not realizing it! Ah, well... you learn from your mistakes! ).

Lydia227-- I'm constantly looking for new ab moves to challenge myself! Can you give details?

Jamsk8r-- you did great with your workout! Same for Shannon in ATL & Kaw (a 7 to 8 mile hike in the British countryside? Lucky!!)

Everyone else, keep up the great work!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 06-06-2009 at 05:00 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #40  
Mel

Cheryl, I'm thrilled for you! both the pull up (I'm sure #2 is not far off) and the continued cross fit. I'm headed there in about 30 minutes! I have horrible bruises on my forearms from kettlebell push-thrusts and windmills. I look like someone tied me up I hope today is a heavy lift day.

Lydia, congratulations to you and ds's. Big steps! Middle school is where the going gets rough if it's going to. Good luck to you!

Kim- where in the UK are you? We are planning a vacation in October and might go back. DH has family in the Lake District (can't beat that for scenic or hiking!). The last time we were there was during the outbreak of hoof and mouth disease and we were very disappointed that hiking was restricted. Most everywhere we were had livestock grazing even on near vertical topography. Each trail entrance has a big warning sign and a trough of disinfectant to walk through. YUK!!!!

Tea- Sounds like you are doing great! Are you adding some intervals into those elliptical workouts?

Lydia- Squatting barefoot is very different. I've done it a few time. The first time was because I inadvertently left my shoes at home. My calves and different parts of my quads were sore. So now I do it every once in a while (with lighter weight...when no one is watching ) If I worked at that gym, I'd throw me out! Legend has it that Arnold used to do his leg workouts barefoot because he originally had stick calves and that helped. Just in case you want to look like Arnold!

Shannon- Yup, those WYTLs are tough! I don't like them and my clients used to glare at me when we did them But very good for you.

Time to get ready for torture...um, I mean cross fit! (if it's a lot of running, I may just row).
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #41  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

DH is out running the dogs. I went and took them for a walk this morning but he wanted to 'one up' me and take them running. Actually we are going to Annapolis today (never been) to go bike riding. It'll be about a 26? mile bike ride, Annapolis to Baltimore and back. So he wanted to make sure they got plenty of exercise before we left them alone.

I decided this morning I'm going to try something new as watching the scale isn't working. I picked a pair of jeans from my closet (one of the ones I've bought but never worn in hopes of fitting) and tried them on. They really don't fit but my goal is going to be to make them fit. I'll see if that works better for me than watching the stupid scale which hasn't been working for 18 months.

Tomorrow is a charity run/walk with the dogs. Hopefully they will behave They get so anxious when they go to some place new especially places with other dogs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #42  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Kim,
Where in the UK are you hiking? I was there 25 years ago (yikes!) and I loved loved LOVED it there. I travelled all over, made it to the Orkneys as well as Anglesey. The Lake District is to die for and so are the Pennines. Enjoy the hikes! It's nice to shake up the routine. Don't get lost in a bog though!

Cheryl:
You rock! And BTW, when can we haul out the Birthday cake for you?!?

Lydia,
The gardening hasn't started yet. Got home from spinning, from farmer's market and then the library. Now I am taking a little breather and drinking coffee and pondering where to start.

Hugs to everybody else.

Spinning class was AWESOME today!!!! I have to say I wasn't bored for a second. He (the instructor) put on very groovy music, among others there was the song from Kill Bill (rest in piece, David Carradine, your death made me very sad), the scene where the Bride kills O-Ren-Ishii - apparently it exists as a song rendered by some obscure group - anyway, I really enjoyed myself today, amazing what a good music can do and most of the class was off seat in the stirrups. I will feel my legs tomorrow.

I will check in later to see how everybody's weekend is going.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 06-06-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: brain fart
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #43  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Alena, my actual birthday is June 26th, and I'm going to be 40. I think I'm supposed to buy a sportscar, get a tattoo, and die my hair, or something like that, in celebration. Instead, I'll probably just suffer through whatever horrible birthday WOD my trainer cooks up, then die, then go skating. Yeah, that would be more my style, anyway!

Lydia, for me, squatting barefoot was easier in one way, because it's solid, just your foot and the lifting platform, so very solid surface for pushing through the heels, rather than pushing against the soft heel of my running shoe. I can see how that would make it possible to lift heavier, versus pushing against a squishy surface like a running shoe. On the other hand, getting down deep like we have to do was harder without the heel. The lifting shoe was perfect, because it made it easier to get the full depth squat, while still being a nice firm surface to push from. I need me some!

Nelie, you give me hope and inspiration with your bike mileage! I drove the bike route I want to take to the CF gym. Looks great on the way there, but there is one long hill on the way back that I will probably have to walk up initially. Still, looks very doable and safe for bike riding, so I'm going to give it a try on Monday morning. It's only 7 miles each way..no problem, right? (gulp)

Tea, you're doing great on the workouts, yourself! Anybody who can last that long on the elliptical and walk away gets my respect!

Mel, you sound like me, what will the torture be today? Oh boy! lol! One of the shirts from my gym had the logo then it said, "Torture...for time" on the back. If they ever reorder that one, I'm getting some!

I am able to get singles of the (overhand grip) pull-up now, in addition to the chin-up, so I'm making progress.

The CF Report follows:
----------------

Today was Saturday Suck, so I knew it would be a metcon, but we had a special memorial D-Day WOD today, since today makes 65 years since D-day (guess how many reps of everything?):

Run 800 meters
15 Offset Push-ups (50# bumper plate on floor, alternate hands with one hand on bumper plate, one on floor, for each rep)
15 Jumping Squats (air/bw squats plus a jump)
15 Kettlebell Swings (44# men/36# women)
15 Wallball (20#/14#)
Run 600
20 Offset Push-ups
20 Jumping Squats
20 Kettlebell Swings
20 Wallball
Run 400
30 Offset Push-ups
30 Jumping Squats
30 Kettlebell Swings
30 Wallball

My time was 35:57. Some of the firebreather guys got at or just under 20 mins, but more typical was 25-35. This was definitely a killer metcon, and a good Saturday Suck.

Have skating tonight. I think I'll just lie on the floor till it's time to get dressed for skating...is that wrong?

Last edited by jamsk8r; 06-06-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #44  
Working My Way Back Down

OMG Cheryl, you'd be wiping me off the floor! I did a good LBWO myself and drove home and couldn't believe how wobbly my legs were. WOnder how they'll be when I stand up from the computer.....

7 miles isn't bad on a bike, though the hill..... A lawyer friend of mine (used work with him) is on a summer long bike trip with his 16 YO son. They started at the Atlantic (in Revere MA), and will finish at the Pacific (in CA I think). He's got a blog if anyone is interested The Road, The River, The Moon He was whining about some major hills the other day...

I've been running around all morning: pancake breakfast at the airport (part of my dept); Master Gardeners' sale (scored great flowers); Wal-Mart & Fred Meyers for cruise clothing (great sale at FM); then the quilt store where I ran into 2 friends and visited; and finally the gym and home. Met DH leaving to go canoeing as I drove in. Now I have to change, eat lunch, and get the flowers transplanted. It's cool and overcast which is good for them, and will get me back in to do stuff inside, whereas if it were I'd want to stay out....

Have a great weekend.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #45  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Tea: This is the ab exercise
http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/exe..._Pullover.html

I did get to the gym today but by the time I got to the abs I just stayed with the regular routine. I was too tired to set up for this. Pathetic, I know.

I was able to increase my squat to 125 this morning. I could probably do 135 but it's a head thing for me now. I'm a dork and keep adding to the weights in 2.5 pound increments at this point.

Later in the afternoon the family and I went hiking. It really wasn't that much of a hike but it was enough to wear us all out.

Cheryl, that workout looks exhausting. Maybe I'll go in tomorrow and give it a shot. I usually take Sundays off but since I was a slacker all week I have a little more interest in going in tomorrow.

Have a great evening everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote