Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #91  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! And as one in the library profession - I encourage you all to read to your kids. It's so nice to see kids reading. They'll never lack for a way to entertain themselves - never mind a way to learn something new.

I have my new printer, life is good for the moment. Amazing how much you want to print when you don't have one.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #92  
Mel

Light cardio done...I'm trying crossfit again after work and don't want to be already exhausted! I think there is no permanent shoulder damage, but I sure won't be doing the hanging knees to elbows again! The grinding, clicking sound plus pain put me of those!

Pat- you'd love my family. My son's entire summer job proceeds were spent on books. Our beef is that the local library is very light on sci-fi and it costs us a lot to by-pass the library! Books are crowding us out of the house. None of us can bear to throw or give them away. Every once ina while, I find one that I know someone in particular would love, and I part with it. But we are being gradually forced out by the books. Luckily, kids are leaving, making more room

Gotta scoot!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #93  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Pat: We our library. Both of them! Columbus and Upper Arlington. I currently have just about every kinesiology and exercise science book in the library system. Seriously though we have so many wonderful programs for our kids here too. Our lives are truly enhanced by our libraries!

Shannon: Glad you are enjoying the intervals. It really is a great way to knock the dust out of the lungs. It is kind of a sick sort of pleasure. Just don't expect to be able to do that interval more than two or three times a week.

Cheryl: Wow, you were working late! How can you keep such late hours and still get going for your workouts? I always feel it when I try to get just a few more things done in the evening. I can cut myself some slack but you have a CrossFit trainer to answer to. Yikes. You should be winding down by 9:00!

Mel: Congratulation in reclaiming your space from all the kids books. Bittersweet perhaps. We are in transition. The massive Little Tykes stuff is almost gone from my home. ~whew~ I never want to own anything plastic in my backyard again.

Make it a great day everyone.

Okay. Enough of the Mom lectures here. I'm off to get some toys for my peeps tonight. I'm SOOO excited I can barely stand it.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #94  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - I like the gym atmosphere too except when we moved here, the Ballys sucks I'd be more inclined to go if it was closer and wasn't so small/cramped.

Shannon - The trike is great! I actually have to start riding by myself because my husband isn't always available. I like riding with him though and I need to build up some more endurance.

I recently looked into the Sergeant's program around here. Its an hour long workout with a lot of emphasis on body weight and other things. No idea how much it costs but its 5 days/week, starts at 5:45am... hmm thats a lot of commitment when I snoozed until 8am today.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #95  
Mel

I think I'm going to try making Tues and Thursday cross fit days. I love it! but getting home at 7:15-7:30 at night is a problem at this point.

Today's workout:
warm ups
3X21 overhead squats (Boy, does that sound impressive...except that I was using only a 20 pound bar and nearly dying by the third set! My form needed a major overhaul.)

5 rounds:
15 pull ups (I used the green band, Cheryl)
9 burpees

On the last set of pull ups, I felt every bit of energy drain from my body. There was NOTHING left. I managed the burpees, then dissolved into a heart pounding sweat mess

Finished with "kettlebell gladiators" which is a fancy name for a side plank while holding a light kettlebell straight up in the air with the arm that is not supporting you.

Fun!

Food is on, life is good

Mel
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #96  
Working My Way Back Down

Gosh, Mel, sounds like I should consult your DS when I need to purchase SciFi - it's an area I sort of approach blindly, relying heavily on reviews and patron requests!

We were at staff training all day, and a good part of the afternoon was a "tech fair" where all kinds of internet sites were checked out, and lots of electronic toys were available to play with (no Kindle though ). And as I expected, I totally love the Wii! And I was quite good at the bowling and tennis. Didn't get to try the fitness though I did watch some. Hmmm, I need to save up. We have only a small TV too. The iPhone is also something that I'd love, but don't have a need for - heck I don't even get that many calls on my cell phone (which is provided by work).
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #97  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
The iPhone is also something that I'd love, but don't have a need for - heck I don't even get that many calls on my cell phone (which is provided by work).
Oh PAT! Pat! Pat! You WOULD BE SURPRISED at how much you would use the iPhone. Okay. IT IS NOT A PHONE! This thing is a minicomputer that works everywhere!

(okay, getting a grip on myself here) I am not a gadget sort of person but DH is a techno God so I benefit from this. He decided this spring we should upgrade to iPhones. I truly never used my cell phone. Would never have it turned on and no one ever could reach me when I was out. Why would I need an iPhone. Then I began thinking of how this could help me as I began to train with clients. OMG. This thing is a tool I never leave home without. Do I use it as a phone? Sometimes. Can anyone every get a hold of me. Sometimes. I still forget what that noise is when it goes off.

But! The apps. (applications) It has a web browser on it. I can access YouTube videos of exercises keep them in my favorites and take them to the gym for my workouts! When I need some motivation/inspiration I look into my favorites and there it is! Sweet!

I was also able to download an application of a metronome that came in very useful during the testing/assessments of my clients (step test). Lots of free apps, some that cost but are not too expensive.

And Games! These are more for my DSs when we go out to dinner. DH and I hand over the phones and the kids let us have a real conversation.

Anyway, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. Seriously never thought I needed/wanted one either. It's one of the rare items we purchased that I would miss if I no longer had.

Mel: Thanks for posting my workout for tomorrow. Sweet. Oh wait. Tomorrow is leg day. Shoot. Okay, Thursdays.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #98  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Lydia - I'm envious of your iphone! I have a Blackberry (paid for by work) and I know DH would love an iphone but here they're still just so ridiculously expensive! Not the phone itself but the monthly plans. Right now here you still have to pay some money (maybe $200) up front and still lock into a 3 year plan. The costs for the plan (with all the fees, taxes etc) are about $70 a month. We just can't seem to stomach those costs. The accountant in me makes me calculate that the cost of the phone over three years is close to $3000!!! Is it cheaper for you?

Mel - going back a few days, I'm glad you told that "trainer" off. What an ! I also wanted to make sure you got to see the last Grey's Anatomy episode...they are available online, as far as I know. I loved it, by the way...you?

Pat - we're readers in my family too! I remember growing up my mom would either take me to bookstores and by whatever I wanted (how great is that?) or we would go to the library and take out stacks of books. I still love to read and can't imagine not reading every day.

Well, it's BBQ season here so I find that helps with eating some good protein every day. This past weekend I cooked up steaks and chicken and it's getting us through at least three dinners...and it's so yummy!

Workouts have been good lately but weekend eating is a challenge, as always!

It's a beautiful day here but I don't think I'll make it out for a run hopefully tomorrow.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #99  
Workin' It

I find myself coveting the iPhones my friends and boss have... I'm eventually going to have to give in and buy one...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #100  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Only way I'm getting an iphone is if work pays for it and I don't see that happening

I had an exhausted day yesterday, not sure what happened. I ended skipping my workout (nothing major planned) but then I overate in the evening and the evening is usually when i don't over eat! Then I went to bed early.

Last edited by nelie; 05-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #101  
Working My Way Back Down

Elisa, iPones are ridiculously expensive in Alaska as well. They require a 2 year contract, ~$350 for the phone, and then whatever for the phone plan $60 and up, plus $30/month for the internet access. And we do not yet have the latest iteration of the 3G network, so they are not as fast. Still.... I'd love one. My City pays for our cell phones, and for the Palm Treo (what our phone company offers for Blackberry-like device) for those who "need" it. I'm not one of those.

Quote:
I still love to read and can't imagine not reading every day.
Me either. DH is the same, fortunately.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #102  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, glad to hear that you found a way to work the CF into your routine. Those OH squats are killer, aren't they? Especially with the high reps like that. You did good!

Our WOD today was to practice handstands first, then run 400 meters for time, 3 times, with whatever rest in between that we needed. I haven't attempted a handstand since I was in elementary school, but with help kicking up to the wall, I was able to hold it, which I thought was a major victory. probably lasted 30 seconds on my longest one. I was surprised I could hold myself up at all, so I was happy with that!

Oh, during my warm-up, I finally, finally, got the blue band pull-ups together, and did the full set of 10 on both sets without a miss! Hopefully I'll be able to keep that going, so I can switch to the blue band for workouts soon.

When it was time for a group to go out for a run, somehow, somebody had the brilliant idea that instead of doing the 400s, we should run the "Hill Mile", which is half mile uphill, half mile downhill, so we ended up doing that instead of the 400s. My time going uphill felt slow, and I had to walk twice to get my legs going again, but the downhill made up for it all, because I was able to run the whole half mile back at a faster speed than normal. I made it back in 11:52, which is less than 30 seconds behind my time for the flat mile we did 2 weeks ago. I guess this crossfit thing really works!

I asked my trainer, after the workout, if I could somehow put more heavy lifting into my days. Seems like all we've done the last few weeks is running and metcons, and I was actually contemplating not signing up for June because of it, though I didn't tell him that. I know his programming is making me stronger and faster, it's just that I LIKE heavy lifting and really want to do more of it than has been showing up in the workouts lately. He said that I should feel free to put anything I want more of into my warm-up, and suggested that I could do something like do deadlifts instead of back extensions, be adding weight to my OH squats, or practice cleans or snatches instead of the OHS, something like that. So, I'm going to do that. I'll get my fix for heavy lifting that way, and then can still do the assigned WOD afterward. Sweet!

Edit: Sorry, not trying to ignore everyone else, but I get so longwinded, then feel like I should just shut up, so somebody else could post, lol. So a to the rest of my peeps!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 05-20-2009 at 04:54 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #103  
Mel

My legs are sore for the first time in ages! Not sure if it was the overhead squats (even though I was doing them pretty light) or this morning's treadmill intervals with STEEP inclines a la Lydia, but I'm good and sore

Today was back and chest. Tomorrow is elliptical and crossfit again. Friday may be whimpering at my desk

Elisa- I just finished watching the second part of the Grey's Anatomy finale. sob.

I loved dd's iPhone when we were out in Colorado. GPS, camera, web, email...and it even works like a phone! She scared me to death when she took it out of her pocket way up high on the chairlifts, tho. I was sure we were going to have to crawl down the mountain looking for the darn thing! Her company pays for it. As a phone, it sounds a lot better than the Blackberry she had for a while before it. The Blackberry always sounded muffled. I was always shouting "WHAT???" at her and she was accusing me of going deaf.

OK, time to crawl up the stairs.

Mel
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #104  
Workin' It

More treadmill interval for me this afternoon. Five days in a row of exercise, I'm really feeling like I'm getting back in the groove.

Tomorrow is going to be an at the hospital all day event, so probably won't get any exercise in there.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #105  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon, when my DH was training for his hiking trip in Death Valley, he used to go to the medical center attached to the hospital and do the five flights of stairs for 1.5-2 hours..... Talk about boring!