Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #136  
Workin' It

Kim - High five to your son for his race!

Tea - I post about all kinds of things, and no one has kicked me out yet! Welcome!

Cheryl - chin up! Woo hoo! Hope you feel better soon, though!

Mel - that sounds like a great time to me! Wow!

Alena - I don't have access to a pool, wish I did. Sound like fun!

Pat - enjoy hanging with your sister!

I have had a blazing eadache since Sunday, part stress, part allergies, part TOM I think. It has tamped down some to a dull ache with flares of raging, I hope that means it is on the way out. I used to have headaches almost all the time, but for the last few years I have been mostly free of them. This week has been a reminder of why I wanted to get in better shape and take better care of myself in the first place... I have exercised the last three days, last night was Lydia's treadmill interval and incline HIIT. I'm digging that. Today I'm planning on some heavy duty yoga, maybe some kickboxing. Still a little sore from the Weider on Wednesday, so the yoga might be lighter impact on the sore arms. Or, might not. We'll see. My vision is to exercise for four days in a row with one day off, I have this idea of two days of cardio, one day of Weider, one day of the power yoga (45-55 minutes long videos, pretty intense. No relaxing, focus on your breathing poses in these videos!) in every four day set. I'm going to see how that works out. Four days in a row seems a good max for me before a break. Five pushed it a little I think. Or at least that is what I'm telling myself.

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #137  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Shannon,
I hope your headache is history by now. I hate headaches and I used to have really bad ones, bordering on migraines. Blech.

Cheryl,
Hopefully you are feeling better, too.

I stopped at Winners at lunch time today - had to scoot to the mall to get a book as a gift - so I quickly looked at swimsuits and there was one that calling my name. In aqua/teal colour, my favourite. I prefer very sporty swimsuits and this one is a tad more dressy but the straps are crossed in the back (actually as if tied in a knot) so at least it has the racerback.
But, I feel like a sausage in it. (they had only one piece so no choice in sizes) I bought it but I think this will require at least 10 pounds off before I can wear it. hahaha. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it - for $20 it's not a bad deal - I will have to do some thinking.

The rain is over - it was LOVELY the two days it lasted - so west coast-ish, sunshine on the way blech. I like rain.
Arms, chest and back tonight.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #138  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Alena, move here, and you can have your fill of rain about 9 months of the year. Personally, I'm enjoying the sunshine, after a long, wet winter.

Kim, congrats to the boy, on his smokin' mile, and completing his marathon miles! That's about how long it would take me to run a marathon, and that would be without breaks, lol!

TeawithSunshine, welcome to the thread! We are obsessed with lifting, but we talk about everything, does that make sense? Jump right in!

Shannon, hope you are done with the headache soon. Let us know how the 4 days on/1 off plan works out!

---
Well, I did a CF workout at home tonight. I picked this off my gym's website, it was a metcon from last summer, so I figured it would work. In the remains of the heat today, it kicked my butt and had me sweating buckets...great metcon!

My Warm-up:
Run 400
ROM and stretching
2 sets of 10 OH squats and 10 push-ups
2 sets of 10 chin-ups (unassisted, so they were all singles, but woot!)
(skipped sit-ups and back ext, since it was getting dark)

the WOD:
Run 400 meters
50 Sumo Deadlift High Pull 75#/55# (scaled to 50#)
40 Sit-ups (did GHD style sit-ups, but on the floor)
30 Wall Ball (no med ball, best I could do today was a basketball)
20 Tire Jumps (normally 24", had to sub 10" box, best I could do at home)
10 KTE (knees to elbows, did these full ROM on floor, instead of hanging)
Run 400

I was hoping to finish under 20 mins, but came in at 20:04. Still, very happy that I was able to do the workout, and only had to stop once to choke to death.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 05-30-2009 at 01:40 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Jamsk8r-- I also hail from the northwest part of the US! (*Three hours south of Seattle, across the Columbia River). Btw, what is a "CF" workout & what does "wod" stand for? I know terms like "nrlw" (new rules for lifting for women") and "bfl" (body for life), but that's basically it!

Cool thread you guys got going here! I'm definitely a newbie to weight lifting (having joined a gym in mid march), but it's addictive!!!!

My workout today left me quite sore, lol. I took it a bit easy cardio-wise (since yesterday was a harder workout on the elliptical and I knew I was going to be doing weights in addition to cardio today). I recently graduated to 20 lb dumbbells for some tricep exercises and from 110 to 130 lbs on the leg press machine, so I'm feeling some sore muscles here! But I love it! (*Is that one crazy comment to write or what? LOL!)

I've been doing 1,500 calories per week until I went on vacation last week in Seattle and did big calorie cycling. That allowed me to lose 2.4 lbs after weeks of half a pound to just barely a pound. So I'm doing calorie cycling again this week in the hopes it helps me lose another 2 lbs or something by Monday's weigh in! (*Honestly, I'd just like at least ONE pound so I can say I'm in the 160s!!)

The weather in my neck of the woods has been just terrific so I took a 20 minute walk in the neighborhood after dinner the other night

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 05-30-2009 at 02:01 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #140  
Mel

We seem to have our own language here
WOD = Workout of the Day
CF = Cross Fit
metcon = metabolic conditioning

Cheryl and Kim- great job on pushing yourselves. And congratulations to both Boys!

I'm stiff and tired. Last night was my son's senior prom and I was awake all night and morning. If they leave the post prom party at school before 5am, the school calls the parents. So I lay awake waiting for the call. I finally got up at 6:15 wondering if he'd gone out to breakfast with friends, only to discover his car in the driveway, the bedroom door closed, and his keys on the kitchen table. I don't remember a call, but did here some noises around 5:15. He's usually not very quiet, so I figured it was the cat at our door.

I'm skipping the CF gym this morning and heading for Gold's (with arrogant trainer dude!) to meet my friend. We do a "chat and lift". OK, we really do lift!

Then groceries, laundry and the usual. Plus trying to stay awake!

Have a good one

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #141  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Tea, sorry for the code talk. We've been chatting up the Crossfit workouts for a while, so I forget that not everybody knows the abbreviations! We are practically neighbors, well, 2 hours apart, lol. I live between Tacoma and Puyallup. I am also hovering at the cusp of the 160s, so I know the feeling! Congrats on the heavier weights on those exercises!

Mel, have fun with the heavy lifting today. I will be glad when I can come out of my self-imposed quarantine and hit the gym for some real weights. I might do a BFL style UB (upper body) workout today, just for old times' sake, and to see what I think of it. If I like it, then I could switch it out with some crossfit days this month.

I went to bed about 2am, not meaning to stay up that late, but figured I could sleep in, since it was Saturday and no pressing appts today. Well, I woke up at 6:30 am and that was it, no going back to sleep...bummer! I'm feeling good right now, but I bet I hit a wall after lunch, lol.

Just doing chores and laundry and such at home this morning, then my nephew has a softball game this afternoon, so I'm going to cheer him on and take pics, then will do some kind of workout this evening when it cools off some. That's the optimistic plan, anyway!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Hi....

I'm curious: what is everyone's weight lifting schedule? Do you lift 2 or 3 times a week? Or do you spend one week working out say the upper body 2 times and the lower body once, then reverse upper/lower body the following week? Anyone follow a particular weight lifting program like Body for Life or New Rules for Lifting for Women?

Which program/weight lifting schedule has given you the most benifit in reaching your (weight lifting/weight loss) goals?

My trainer currently has me lifting weights 3 times a week, though I confess I'm interested in doing "new rules for lifting for women" at some future point to vary my routine & help me increase muscle/decrease more body fat %

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #143  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

~ tea

I usually do a 4-day split
back: deadlifts, pullups, a row, and back hyperextensions
chest: flat bench, dips, incline bench, and one triceps isolation exercise
legs: front squat or overhead squat, stiff-legged deads, lunges, and calf raises
shoulders: overhead press, shrugs, and YTWL to strengthen rotator cuff, and heavy ab work (2 exercises from roman chair, hanging leg raises, weighted incline situps, planks)

- I throw one more ab workout in there, depending on when I have the time.

I usually follow something like a 3-on, 1-off, 3-on schedule. When I'm trying to lose fat, I stick high-intensity cardio in a couple of days per week, and do light cardio on the rest days or weekends. When I'm not trying to lose fat, well, I tend to slack off on cardio, or rely on walking/hiking/biking/kayaking or some other outside family activity, instead of sweating puddles at the gym.

A couple of weeks ago I got a little bored with this routine, and started playing around will full-body workouts or with crossfit (www.crossfit.com). It's too soon to tell.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Krista Scott Dixon (www.stumptuous.com) has a plethora of fantastic and practical information about lifts, routines, nutrition, you name it. I can't recommend Krista's site enough. And, it's free and ad-free.

Be strong,
Kim

Last edited by kaw; 05-31-2009 at 06:42 PM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote