Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #1  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Default New Rules of Lifting, I have questions. Do you have some answers?

First time in the Weight and Resistance Training forum, so hello!

Here are my questions:
#1 – I LOVE Spin class and I like to run. I want to incorporate them into the Stage 1 workout plan. This is what I came up with:

Mon - Spin
Tues - Weights & Intervals (2 min jog, 1 min sprint, total 20 min)
Wed - Spin
Thur - Weights & Intervals (2 min jog, 1 min sprint, total 20 min)
Fri - Off
Sat - Weights & 5K (easy pace)
Sun - Off

What do you think about the workout plan? Is it to much? Would you do anything else after Spin?

#2 - According to the book I should have 2172 cal non-workout day and 2461 cal on a workout day for maintenance. The book said I could shave off 300 cal if I really have to. So this is what I was thinking: Start with 1800 non workout day/2100 workout day (this is more then I'm eating now). Then as I lose more weight go to 1700/2000, then 1600/1900, etc. I mean if I start at 1500 like I was back in Dec how low am I going to go when I really need to cut calories??? I love chapt. 4 "The War Against Food", such an eye opener.

What do you think about this plan? Any suggestions?

Background as to why I’m asking these questions:
I've hit a plateau. It's been 3 weeks up and down from 198 - 203. I think I might have lost inches because a pair of new pants were tight now they fit. I started eating 1600 cal, dropped to 1500 in Dec, and up to 1700 last week. As you can see how much to eat is a mystery to me.

I've switched up my workout plans a couple of times (I haven't stuck with a real plan) but I do a combo of spin class, running, elliptical, & bodypump (1hr weight class). Yes, I want to break my plateau, yes, I'd like to lose another 58 lbs by the end of the year but do I want to keep making myself crazy stressing out, no. I'm starting to learn that weight loss isn't a race.

The reason I got the book is because I want a good training plan that I can stick with. I like structure, I like that the book has a plan with stages for 6 months. I'm just not confident if I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks so much for your input!!!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't have the book in front of me, but he does talk about spin class. I think he said something about it being intense and very long, and therefore not ideal (vs short and intense aka HIIT), but I've never been to spin class, so I don't know. But maybe you can find where he was talking about spin class. I do remember that in the last chapter (I think), he talks about combining NROLFW with other forms of exercise.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #3  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Hi Julie, I have the book in front of me and in ch 12 "Extra Stuff to Do" he says that spinning can encourage recovery but the down side is the lenght of the workout. He gives a suggestion not to do intervals on a weight day before spin class so maybe I have to cut out intervals on Tues.

See how I'm confused? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to do spin and run while incorporating the weight program. I understand the benefits of weight training, I want to take advantage of those benefits but I'm having a hard time letting go of all the cardio.

Perhaps I should just try his sample workout (pg 233) and see how it goes for a month. Can't hurt as long as I see results on the scale or measurements.

Thanks
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I had to go and get the book and see. So it appears that if you do the schedule you first laid out you'd be basically overtraining. These routines look short and simple, but they tire you out. I'd try the sample workout as you mentioned and reevaluate after a month or so.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote