Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default BFL Starters - Sunday, Jan 25

So I wasn't going to put up a separate thread, but then I see other people asking about it in other threads or forums, so I thought I would pull it out of the monthly chart just so people considering it can opt in if they want.

I still think we should chat about our outcomes in the monthly chat tho bc alot of people there can help us with our questions or direct comments on us, that may not otherwise comment on a separate thread, and I want to learn from them! So, just what I'm thinking.

So Yes, it will be the Super Bowl, but nothing like starting off your challenge with a challenge! You can survive a party on BFL - just remember that for every veggie and dip, you need a bit of chicken and a gulp of water!

I'm not setting any goals for the challenge other than to DO MY BEST. Don't want to create any disappointment if I don't meet set goals each week. Oh, I know what I'd LIKE to see happen, but I'm not going to chart it all out.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Fortunately we do not watch the Super Bowl at our house. However, I just wanted to point out that the Eating for Life cookbook does have a decent recipe for chili,(served this to my girlfriends this afternoon during lunch) buffalo chicken sandwiches and a salsa dip made from cottage cheese, salsa, and ff plain yogurt. Check out your local library to see if it is available for other ideas as well. I lean pretty heavy upon this thing for switching up my food. DH really enjoyed the shrimp scampi last week too. But of course he's just grateful for anything more evolved than a broiled chicken breast and a half plate full of broccoli.

Fran, I want to look as good as the chick in your avatar. Thanks for the motivation.

Last edited by Lydia227; 01-20-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #3  

Oh, Ms. Yoga.... I've been wondering and you would know.... is that her left or right leg she's pulling back with her right arm? I always thought it was her right, but then started doubting myself. It's like one of those - 'is she spinning left or right' brain tests!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

I'm in! I need something to help keep me on track. This will be fun! (you know, in a "pain is my friend" sorta way)
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Fran - I love your avatar too and it's her right leg that she's holding onto. That's one of my favourite poses...but no, I don't look like that!

I'll be back to say whether or not I'm oficially in for the challenge. I don't want to do it unless I'm serious about it. I'm going for a fitness assessment at the gym on Friday so it's all good timing really.

Good luck to all!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #6  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'm in. I'm hitting the bookstore for a copy today, and I might even talk a co-worker into joining me.

DH was looking at the food list last night, and he's willing for me to cook/serve the food, but he's not going to exercise. He's "going to lose the weight first, then tone up." That's right, I married a moron.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #7  

LOL Dee! It's ok, that's how alot of people have to approach it. It's too much all at once maybe for him to process it all. One thing I like so much is that the food is just so basic and wholesome. No crazy combinations or can't haves. BTW, I am NOT doing the supplements or protein powders at all. I will have to live without that and just see what that gets me.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixied View Post
He's "going to lose the weight first, then tone up." That's right, I married a moron.
(happy sigh) Well, we can lead by example.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #9  
No description available.

Men!!

I'm so in! I'm following the workouts and nutrition plan set by my trainer but there are some things I can improve/clean up, so even though it's not BFL per se, I'll work really hard for 12 weeks right along with you ladies!

The plan:

HIIT 3 times per week
weightlifting 3 times per week
1 long run (> 5 miles---don't laugh Lucy! It's long to me!)
super clean eats---one "free" meal per week (rather than 1 free day per week)

The goals:
see the 140s
reduced stomach pooch (perhaps I should find my tape measure!)
and I am pursuing Tomato's size 4 jeans---size 6 would be good!

Last edited by midwife; 01-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
So Yes, it will be the Super Bowl, but nothing like starting off your challenge with a challenge!
Wait, I thought you were starting this Sunday, i.e. Jan 25. Super Bowl is the next week, Feb 1.....

I'm considering. I need to do something more than I'm doing, as I'm in a real rut and am in need for some mental and physical
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #11  

Sign me up as the #1 football fan, huh?! I thought it was always in January. Oh well, it just missed it this year.

OK, so you still get your challenge - just one week in! A renewal commmitment challenge we'll call it! I think it will be harder that way; luckily we won't have anything for the party.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Wait, I thought you were starting this Sunday, i.e. Jan 25. Super Bowl is the next week, Feb 1.....

I'm considering. I need to do something more than I'm doing, as I'm in a real rut and am in need for some mental and physical
Y'know I was so confused. It took me a really long time to figure out when superbowl was. I had a plan for a get together so my football loving son could watch with others of his ilk. Then....??

got it now

actually, not so much... does this start this sun or next??

And midwife, you made me f'real!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

I think Fran means to start this Sunday, she just thought it was Superbowl (and yes, Fran, it did used to be in January). I had to google it myself to be sure of the date.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

gotcha
next, I get the book.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Fran, I asked you q question over on the BL thread, but I'll ask some here, too. BFL......is a diet? a strength training program? a cardio program? All three? Are the exercises based on free weights or can I begin with the weight machines. My gym has both, but I'm more comfortable starting off with the machines.

I'm very interested in looking slenderer quicker. Does that make sense?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote