3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Body for Life 54 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/16030-body-life-54-a.html)

susanje 05-07-2002 07:38 AM

Body for Life 54

Welcome to Body for Life number 54

Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex Lite by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast [which is all sugar!]) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit. If you shop at www.netrition.com the page for each product will list carbs/proteins/fats/sugars. check the labels carefully! If you like to add carbs, go for a low carb but keep your protein/carb grams in mind. Some of the protein shakes have protein grams as high as 42 and this is usually too much for one BFL meal for any woman so split these in 2 and add carbs.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thunderheart 05-07-2002 08:01 AM

Hurts So Good!

Good Morning Ladies. Well I'm back and boy does it hurt so good! Started my 2nd challenge yesterday and I am feeling that all too familiar muscle ache from UBWO - feels great! I actually missed that feeling! Just finished my cardio and it was a rough one! Not to belabour the point - but I really am anxious to see how this challenge goes. I really feel like I put my best effort in for the first challenge. I'm going to to be a little more mindful of my free days this time around because that is the only thing I can think of that may have slowed my progress.

Mel - I'm so happy for you - winning the Ironwoman - must be a great feeling. Also sorry to hear about your injuries too - hope they heal quickly.

MrsJim - 84 days with no free days! I think that has been a nightmare or two of mine of late! I know you can do it though. With all the flurry of the Shredder over at L&S - you've got some major inspiration over there.

Susanje - Coming up for air every once in awhile? Good luck with your exams.

Carps - Where are ya girl?

Welcome to all the new ladies. Looking forward to conversing with ya - you're gonna love it here!

sunspot 05-07-2002 04:48 PM

supplements

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. Just a question on the supplements you are using. I know about the Myloplex lite, but on the bodyforlife website, they have product packs that also include BetaGen, Betalean HP annd CLA. I read the ingredients on the Betalean and it contains Ephedra and caffine. I am too scared to try this product. But could anyone give examples of what they are using to get good results?

Thank you.

MrsJim 05-07-2002 05:33 PM

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone's feeling GREAT today! It's gorgeous out here (of course the wind hasn't picked up yet...)

Sunspot - My advice to you is to do what I do and TOTALLY ignore the 'official' BFL website. Bill Phillips sold EAS years ago and has nothing to do with the website anymore. The BFL website, along with the 800 number, has radically changed from a useful, helpful site to a marketing tool for EAS to peddle supplements that you DON'T necessarily need, at higher prices than other places sell them for. Of course EAS wants you to buy all their products to do BFL, but truthfully, you don't have to.

The worst thing about the EAS/BFL website now is that they have changed the 'authorized' food list - and not for the better -- by adding foods such as processed cereal, popcorn and rice cakes. In doing so, EAS is showing themselves to be hypocrites as in their own magazines (Muscle Media and Energy for Women) they have recently run articles warning AGAINST using rice cakes, popcorn and cereal. If you read the book, you'll find that the whole idea behind the nutrition in BFL is to optimize building muscle while burning fat. High-quality carbs are important for energy in which to do this. Popcorn and rice cakes are NOT high-quality carbs - they're fine for Free Day but otherwise...no.

Susanje's post (which she begins all new threads with) at the top of this thread is a pretty good rule of thumb to use as far as supplements are concerned. And DON'T buy them from EAS - I recommend Netitrion (which you can access through www.leanandstrong.com) or Vitaglo for the best prices.

Here's what I use:

Myoplex Lite Cappucino Ice (this is not really a supplement, but food)
MetRx Protein Plus Dietary Supplement Powder (just a pure protein powder, not an Meal Replacement like Myo Lite)
Labrada L-Glutamine 1000
Creatine (just the generic powder)
Vitamin C 1000 mg from Trader Joe's

That's it!!!

And ya know what? you don't even NEED any of this stuff doing BFL. There are quite a few folks at L&S who use real food and ONLY real food and have had great results.

Here are some products I definintely would NOT buy:

Protein Bars/Meal Replacement bars - except in DIRE emergencies - such as a long plane trip. A high percentage of the ingredients of these bars is SUGAR. Not the best thing to put in your body.

EAS AdvantEdge products from the supermarket - so many folks have bought this crap, thinking that since it's EAS, it's fine for BFL. As noted above, the only EAS product I buy is Myoplex Lite, because I love the taste. The AdvantEdge products are EAS' way of capturing a percentage of the SlimFat (oops, SlimFast) market. Like SlimFat, AdvantEdge drinks and bars are LOADED with sugar and are short on protein.

RTD (Ready-to-Drink) shakes in general - just because for the most part they're way expensive, have very little protein and tast terrible...

More later...gotta run and work!

susanje 05-07-2002 09:18 PM

I second MrsJim's supplement reply.

I use MetRx Berry Blast and Designer Protein AbsBerry Sundae Smoothie for my MRPs as well as Optimum Protein protein powder (strawberry). I only use fruit MRPs and protein powder so I balance with frozen fruit. I am going to check out Met Rx Lite!!
I like the fruit ones because it tastes like something frosty and smooth and cools me off....very refreshing!

I use glutamine and I do use CLA. I read a few "debunking the supplement myths" type articles and most said that CLA does have some positive effects. Don't ask me if it's true!! :lol: I never know!

I take Ginko for my brain and not my body! :)

If I were contesting (as MrsJ is) I would use creatine. I used it for a while and it gave me gas... :(

As for the rest: STAY AWAY!! Not necessary!!!

thunderheart 05-07-2002 10:06 PM

Hey Mel!!!

Hi Mel - thanks for answering my post over at L&S. By the time that I caught it, it was buried down deep so I thought that I would catch up with ya here.

First what is an ace bandage (excuse my ignorance) is it one of those elastic type things that you wrap around? I don't really know why my knees are doing what they are doing (squats or treadmill). I really hate to give up the treadmill - that was the one saving grace of my pitiful results of C1! I'm tempted to buy me some glucosamine and an ace bandage and keep going. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is that I have heard that knee joints can be very delicate for injury and I don't want to aggravate anything that I could potentially prevent right now. I do have use of a recumbant bike at home if that would help for now - just tell me I can use my treadmill again!

I've never had to contend with this type of thing before. My feet used to kill me but dropping 80lbs with good shoes and orthotics fixed that! Any advice from our Ironwoman? How's your injury coming along?

By the way - free week was just that. Not full blown out but not squeaky clean either.

susanje 05-07-2002 11:32 PM

Thunderheart: I had to give up the threadmill due to weak knees and shin splints. Now that I have my terrific Saucony Courageous (I'm about to get another pair I love them so much) my shin splints do not bother me. I've considered trying the treadmill again...but for now, I use the elliptical. It seems to be gentler on the knees.

To Continue the Supplement Discussion: MetRx's development department must have gone nuts the past few months (they have several new products out) because it is rumored that they have a new RTD with 25 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. Sounds too nutritionally good to actually taste good but maybe it does!
That would be a wonderful thing.

Susan (busy not studying Evidence-my last final!!!)

carps 05-08-2002 04:22 AM

I'm here

hi girls!
my #$#%$!! ISP is still down so I am just checking in from work. I was supposed to start challenge 2 this week, but still haven't been able to renew my gym membership (doing it tomorrow) so I'm going to officially start next week, although I'm back to the eating this week.

I fully used my free week in the wrong way, but I only put on two pounds, so I'm pretty happy with that. I have a great goal to work towards, as a friend is shouting me a trip to a huge christian music festival in Australia in July - flights and everything!!! so I am trying to lose a bit before then. - I's so excited.

I can't stay long, but I do pop in occasionally to read, and as soon as I'm back on line, I'll be back & posting as usual. I really miss you guys.

hope you're all doing great
carly

MrsJim 05-08-2002 05:20 PM

WE MISS YOU CARLY!!! WAAHHHH!!! :wave:

The music festival sounds wonderful! Jim has actually decided to go on hiatus as far as the band is concerned. They aren't making a whole lot of money, and his buddy Shree wants Jim to join him in the studio and play on his new CD. I love Shree's music - and he's doing well on mp3.com (http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/49/shree_dove.html is the link).

Susan - I think ALL the supplement companies are going nuts with the new products. I might give CLA another try but honestly, it didn't do a thing for me (at least not that I could see).

So far this has been a GREAT week. I am still very motivated by the contest I attended on Saturday! Been hitting it hard in the gym - did legs this morning. My boss is leaving early today so I brought some workout clothes and am going to the company gym for some cardio before Jim gets off work...

thunderheart 05-08-2002 08:26 PM

Thanks Susanje - I'm due for a new pair of shoes. I currently use New Balance because they specialize in different widths - I usually take an E or EE. These shoes are feeling loose and worn - can you lose weight in your feet? I usually have to get a men's shoe so my orthotic can fit in it. But I will check out those Saucony's.

MrsJim and Susanje - what is CLA?

I think I'm going to try some Swiss ball squats and my recumbant bike for awhile to see if things ease up a bit. Does anyone know if I switched to walking on an incline instead of walk/jog if this would help the knees ( can you tell I paid alot of money for my treadmill and I love it!)

Sunspot - I only use glutamine, Myoplex lite (very seldom) and protein powder with oatmeal only after weight workouts - oh and Udo's. Will soon be adding glucosamine for my knees.

Carps - great to hear you're still kickin!

QuadZilla 05-09-2002 12:41 PM

CLA is...

Conjugated Linoleic Acid. It's good. Lemme paste some links to info for you...

http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa011101a.htm
http://www.eatwild.com/cla.htm
http://wiscinfo.doit.wisc.edu/cook/cla.htm

Tons of discussion on L&S about it to in the Message Archives. :)

MrsJim 05-09-2002 03:44 PM

Hey QZ, if CLA is really what they say it is, methinks I'll give it another go... (BTW I'll see ya in July - just bought my plane tix!) ;)

Oh Thunderheart - you just reminded me that I do use Udos and flax, but not more than 1 Tbs a day. A bit pricey otherwise :lol:

I betcha that once you really start burning through the bodyfat, your knees'll stop being such a bother. That and some glucosamine couldn't hurt either...

It's really gorgeous here in the Bay Area today and I have so much energy - got oatmeal with breakfast this morning. After days of low-carb, it was a wonderful treat!

How are the rest of y'all doing?

thunderheart 05-09-2002 03:52 PM

WOW thanks for visiting Quadzilla! We don't get too many men round these parts. Thanks for taking the time to post those links. It's been pretty quiet around here lately (was that an echo?)

Anyway, still a little confused about CLA. Is it the same thing as taking UDO's? or am I reading things wrong?

Hey Ladies! - is anyone out there? I just have to share a little about what's been goin on in my head lately. I've really been having a hard time in the evenings with snacking. It's only day 4 of C2. It's like I have a fight with myself these past few nights. "What's the use BFL didn't work for you anyway" to "stick with it at least for 1 more challenge" I'm thinking that I was at a plateau for over 6 months before I started BFL - so what's another 6 months of actually trying to do something about it! I know that I have progressed with muscle etc... Well now I feel like I'm rambling but I just had to get that off my chest. The workouts are going great they have become part of me. It's just the eating.

I'm gonna drag out my afghan blanket that I started crocheting about 4 months ago and see if that helps keep the hands busy. I even thought of adding some extra cardio in the evenings. I just don't know. I'm NOT giving up - it's just that I'm struggling right now. I'm afraid in another 12 weeks I'll be right where I am again!

Thanks for listening to my ranting!:(:rolleyes: :?: :mad:

MrsJim 05-09-2002 05:17 PM

Hi Thunderheart - I was going to answer you earlier but Jim and I went to lunch...

Anyway, I hear where you're coming from. For me, the workouts are a breeze - I love going to the gym in the morning - it's the nutrition that is the tough part.

But I know it's just as important - if not slightly MORE important - than the workouts. I know this because I have done metric centuries (bicycling 62 miles) through the Skyline mountain range (which is pretty darn tough) and still could not lose weight - because I would eat like crazy (the ride organizers actually encourage that by having rest stops loaded with carb heavy foods) during and after the rides...

And I am by habit a night eater. I've found it incredibly helpful to have a Myo Lite Power Pudding ready to go for my last meal when the urge strikes. What I do is prepare it either right after meal #5 or about an hour before Meal #6, then stick it in the freezer. Takes a LONG time to eat when it's frozen!

The afghan making is a good call - keeps your hands busy.

Other ideas:

JOURNALING - writing down your thoughts and feelings - many times it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating YOU - I know, that's not really original but it is true sometimes! Re-reading the "Crossing the Abyss" chapter and answering the questions can reaffirm your commitment as well.

Take a long hot bath (bubbles or Calgon optional - good book or magazine essential).

Put a pic of a fitness model or someone like Pam B on your fridge so you have to LOOK AT IT every time you open the door!

You don't have to do 20 MAS type cardio - but a walk with the dog, hubby and/or kids (or just by yourself - helps to clear the mind) couldn't hurt a bit!

Go to bed early - this is a last resort for me, but I've done it in the past...

Hope that helps a bit!

pcosmom 05-09-2002 06:36 PM

Howdy ladies...I havent posted in a bit, the ISP is till a chore...I am learning patience thru this though....

Thunderheart, the Saucony shoes that Susanje recommended are on my list too. I actually suffered from runners knee for years, and it is coming back to haunt me. The information I have been give says that runners knee and shin splints often occur in woman more than men due to our wider hips affecting how our knees align.. here is a link I found... http://www.esportmed.com/smrn/conten...tes.cfm?aid=2.

anyway, I also noted in my experience that the pain seems to be worse if I start up again after a long hiatus, and if I really push it hard or fast when I am not wearing good shoes, or if I forget to wrap my knee. I normally wear my Brooks brand running shoe, and wrap my knee well with an ace bandage. I also sometimes take MSM a supplement recommended at my health food store. It helps with connective tissue...kinda like glucosamine does. I take it with Vit. C.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the intensity of this, week three of my TRUE first challange. (I have decided that since C1 was only half hearted, I wont call it real...) I was totally bummed out today though, and in my depression I binged and chewed my way through an entire packet of JUMBO BUBBLE GUM BALLS. I felt sick afterwards... they are like those nasty ones you get out of the machine... I was out shopping, lost my head and totally went off. I was chewing like a little kid and blowing bubbles. So, even though it was like 200 or more calories of straight JUNK, I must say I enjoyed it, and am determined not to beat my self up too much. I will just have to cut back on sunday (my free day.)

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to need less sleep after they started this program? I used to feel awful if I got less then nine or more a night. now, my body wakes up after seven and a half or less and I can't go back to bed for all I am worth. Since I go to bed fairly early, about nine, this means I am up before the roosters...and it is oddly gratifying to get so much done before everyone around is up. however, I also know that rest is important if you do intense workouts... so, am I cheating myself if I get up? I thought perhaps since i rest for an hour or two in the afternoons perhaps that is why I am so awake in the mornings...anyway...just curious...

Off to clean the kitchen before I eat meal number 6...
=^..^=