Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #1  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Default Starting NROLW today!

Hey there,

I don't believe I've posted in this corner of the forum before, so hello, everybody!

Since I heard only good things from you guys about New Rules of Lifting for Women, I've read through it and am now ready to start my first workout. The next months are going to be crazy scheduling-wise, so I fully expect to stay in phase 1 for the rest of the year. I'll be traveling most of December and hope to either move on to phase 2 after that or do one more round of phase 1 - we'll see when I get there, I guess.

I saw that there is a forum on the NROL-Website and read many familiar names, but I'd love to have an ongoing progress thread over here, if that's OK (and please point me towards any existing one if I overlooked it - I skimmed the first few pages of this subforum and couldn't find any).

Anyone just starting out like me or further ahead?
Any words of wisdom from you experienced chickies?
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think you'll love the program, its awesome. I'm currently in Phase 1 right now (I think I just did 5A the other day).

Only advice I'd have is have fun with it
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Whoo hooo!!! Another NROLW person.

I restarted (again) this week. Did 1A last night. I bailed on the squats after #12 of the second set. I nearly fell over backwards. But the rest went ok.

Today is my cardio day ... and Wednesday is 1B.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #4  
back to balance

Hey nelie and PhotoChick, yay, I'm not alone!!!

Heading off to the gym right now - I'm so stoked about starting it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Heffalump; 09-30-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #5  
Mel

I think it's a great program! Have fun with it. I haven't done it straight through, by the book, but already was eating that way and incorporating many of the principles by the time I read the book. I borrow liberally from his more entertaining exercises.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Welcome!
You will have fun - I am not doing the NROLW exactly (I just flipped through it at Chapters, maybe I will buy it later) - I am doing my own "method" (for lack of better word) - I take my inspiration from various online sources (including posts here from our own weight lifting gurus), from various books and magazines (Oxygen), etc.
Let us know what it's going.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #7  
back to balance

Hey chickies!

Workout 1A1 is done - definitely doable, next time I'll up my weights a bit. It felt good to hit the weights again after a long time. Over the summer, I was mostly running and doing yoga with some cardio strength classes thrown in the mix. Lifting will be the perfect winter activity for me, I think...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Today is 1B for me. Deadlifts, etc. I'm looking forward to it. I did deadlifts a few weeks ago (just for fun) and I could really feel them in my glutes.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Welcome! I'm an ex-Bostonian (well, South Shore) myself.

I started NROLW but bailed when I was traveling too much, and then summer, and well, life somehow got in the way. I'm leaving for 10 days tomorrow, but plan to restart when I get back on the 13th. I really enjoyed it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #10  
Just Me

Yeah I can't tell you how many times I have restarted it. The furthest I ever got was into phase 2.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #11  

I am starting this tomorrow! No clue what weights to start with...where did you all start.

I found this website, it has a free excel work sheet with all the exercises laid out. You do have to have the book though, because the passwords are from the book http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new...d-workout-logs Saved me from having to write out the whole thing.
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #12  
Just Me

I think the weights are a bit of trial and error.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree on the trial and error. I went up quickly til I found where I should be. Have fun.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #14  
back to balance

Ack, I know now what you chicks have been talking about, what with life happening and stuff interfering... ugh. I've been busy traveling and hosting guests for two weeks and have been trying to get back into the program for the past few days, but something always comes up. Grrr. Next week won't look any better scheduling-wise, but I will have to make the time.

Last edited by Heffalump; 10-31-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Question Anyone still doig NROLW?

Hi everyone!

I just started NROLW today!! I'm really excited about the program. I have a bit of weight to lose and won't be following the nutrition part of the diet but will be doing the exercise portion. It's very challenging and a great workout compared to what I have been doing.

Is anyone else just starting or still doing this program? If so how is it going for you?
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote