3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Body for Life #52 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/15508-body-life-52-a.html)

thunderheart 04-23-2002 09:23 AM

Congratulations MrsJim!

Wow a whole year for you! Talk about changing your life - you truly are an inspiration. Sometimes BFL reminds me of that movie Pay It Forward. I don't know if any of you saw it but the ripple effects of BFL just keep passing on to the next desperate "tried every diet and failed" person who sees the light of BFL and in turn passes it on to the next. So cool!!!

Hey Carps! I know how you feel about comments from the opposite sex - not quite there myself to receive them. I still keep pretty covered up in my baggy clothes. Like MrsJim said still hangin on to my fat girl. I have been practicing with compliments from women though by saying "thanks - I've been working hard" - hoping this will become natural if I ever get one from the opposite sex (other than my husband).

Yes our final week!!! I leave on Thursday morning - so I will weigh in and take measurements/pictures before I go - but I fully intend on completing the week. I won't be back until Sunday and that will be after a free day celebration with an old university/roommate girlfriend so I don't want to take measurements and pictures after that! I will let you ladies know the results when I return. I am soooo prepared for this trip - I have left nothing to chance - I will complete this!

Hope you all have a great week!

MrsJim 04-23-2002 01:57 PM

Oh what a beeeyootiful morrrrning...

gonna be 83 degrees here!!! woo hoo! Just wish I didn't have to work today...oh well...

AND I have a luncheon that I must attend today! Well...I'm prepared...if there's nothing on the menu that's suitable for my comp diet, I'll just drink a bunch of water and iced tea and wait til I can get back to work and eat my own CLEAN food...

Thunderheart - 12 weeks already! Did it blow by or what? Now that you know what to do, your second challenge will be a breeze!

I notice that I've been getting tired earlier in the evening. On Sunday I was falling asleep in front of the TV around 7:30 p.m. and hit the hay around 8...last night I turned in at 8:45...Sparky just doesn't know what to make of it, because Jim stays up until about 10. Last night he curled up on my pillow next to my head and purrrred for awhile. He is becoming more and more affectionate...and is also becoming the Great Mosquito Hunter - I don't know HOW they get in, but he gets any that dare to venture in the house!

Woo! Gotta run...let's hear how you all are doing!

pcosmom 04-23-2002 05:13 PM

Good tuesday evening folks...i wanted to report my feelings after completing a TRUE by the book UBWO and i can definately tell teh difference between what i was doing and what i should have been doing! MAN! did i ever feel it in my triceps. it felt fantastic, but i was giggling at myself as i realized that i was more capable then i thought i was, well, what i mean is that i thought i was doing so much before and now it just seems like there was more capacity...i guess what i thought were 9s were really more like 7s. but, that said, i have a long way to go.

it looks like i have my dates for my trip to CA and NJ this summer, and it falls into about week 7 and 8 of this new challange...wow, i will be powered up for vacationing, but will definately need to plan ahead, dont want to get behind midway.

I have a question about a vegetable...i eat a lot of a punkin like squash called ayama and know that since pumpkin is allowable, i can eat ayama as a carb. but here is what i wondered, they sell a tuber "root" veggie here in venezuela called yucca. it is kinda like a potato crossed with a parsnip in terms of taste. i would guess it is about as starchy as a potato. Any thoughts on this veggie? it is cheaper than potatoes, and tastes a but yummier. just wondering...

=^..^=

Mel 04-23-2002 05:50 PM

Hi all

MrsJim Congratulations on 1 year of clean living and your transformation! That's quite an accomplishment and I know yu've come a long way in many ways.

Meow- I'd count the yucca as a potato. I had it in Colorado, and your right on in your taste description.

Thunder and Carps- WOW! you're almost thru W12! I had a really clean rest week, and felt even better at the end of that than I did at the end of W12. So don't PIG OUT and undo it all! But do have a few treat meals to celebrate.

Susanje- Free Day doesn't work for me at all. I didn't really take one until about W9 of c1, and I'm real sorry I ever started. I'd been eating pretty clean (no sugar, white flour, processed food) for 5 months prior to c1, and didn't want to undo that effort. Now, once I get started, I can't stop. Needless to say, C2 has not been a fat-burning success like I'd hoped. From now on, I'm going to try to go back to my old ways and stay fairly clean on free day. I know I need some sort of treat, but it may be an expensive plate of sushiand a glass of wine, rather than ice cream or the B word.

Lisa- we are at the same point. I didn't realize that. I thought, for some reason, that you were an ol' timer!.

OK- have a great arms workout today, supersetted everything between bi's and tri's, so it went by much quicker. For some reason, I was able to lift a lot heavier than usual. Got a complement from one of the pro's at the gym (and he really is a pro)that my legs and back are looking good. I was bent over a bench doing tri extensions, so he didn't get an eye-full of the invisible abs! :lol:

mel

susanje 04-23-2002 10:22 PM

Mel,

I hear you. I didn't do a free day for the first five or six weeks of this challenge, then I did a free day for the first time last Sunday. I probably won't do a free day this Sunday but I know that last year at this time (FINALS!) was the only time in my challenge that I was so stressed that I would just stop and get a hamburger without ANY thought of it at all. I am going to try to avoid that with CONSCIOUS eating. Meaning also that I take some snacky nourishment on Free Day.

I'm so stressed I pulled a muscle in my side. What I wouldn't GIVE for a Tuesday out of the courthouse to go work out and TODAY I was walking out the door and my side just gave way. It's been pulled all day. I had to drive my daughter to day care and come right back home. I iced it most of the day. I know that it is from stress but I also was on the bike on Sunday for the first time in months. I took a long drive to Berkeley and it probably hurt something. The stress makes me tense and there you have it.

I should be okay tomorrow. But today was a wasted day.

:(

take care all.
Susan

MrsJim 04-24-2002 07:39 PM

Hi everyone!

My Aunt Flo is visiting :o if you know what I mean. Big time too - usually she only stays for a day or so but I think this month she'll be staying for a few days...probably why I've been feeling so draggy the past day or two.

Actually I just looked at the calendar...and I haven't taken time off from the gym since mid January! Maybe my body's telling me to give it a few days off...and I might do that next week for a couple of days, mostly because "Frontier House" will be showing on PBS (starting at 9:00 pm for crying out loud!) and I've been waiting a looong time for it to come on - being a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan (the books, NOT the TV show) since I was a kid. Should be interesting - check out the website http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/ for more info. There's actually a GREAT essay on the site titled "How do you preserve a hundred pounds of beef?" (link on the addy above) that you guys should find interesting - and it'll give you an idea why folks back then weren't obese even though they ate a LOT of fat.

It still puzzles me as to why they would show a 2 hour program that a lot of kids will probably want to watch so late...I was hoping they'd start it at 7:00 which is more my speed (and we don't have a VCR hooked up - and NOPE no Tivo either!).

*sigh* anyway...

Susan - hope you feel better. Lots of rest and ice for that muscle! (maybe a nice hot bath as well?)

Mel - I LOVE to do supersets!!! Not only does it get the job done quicker but you can REALLY feel the burn. I'm officially hooked!

Meow, I agree with Mel that ayama should be counted as a carb like pumpkin or winter squash from the sound of it. I couldn't find it on FitDay (which I can't get to work half the time anyway - I just use it to look up nutrients and actually I don't find it all that helpful as for some reason they left sugars out of the count).

It's Professional Administrative Assistants' day here - what the heck, it's Secretary's Day - and I received a LOVELY basket of flowers from my boss...and a box of GODIVA chocolates from HER boss (the #2 guy here). So guess what I'm doing on Free Day? :dizzy:

trixiepup 04-25-2002 08:51 PM

I read the BFL book, and I had a question...if you don't do the shake thing, how can you handle the protein at every meal if you are a vegetarian and can't handle that much soy?

There's nothing on their website, and they haven't emailed me back yet. I wanted to find that out before I started the program with my sister.

Thanks

MrsJim 04-25-2002 09:56 PM

Hi Trixiepup!

Since I was a vegetarian for 8-9 years myself (quit being a veggie just prior to BFL) I think I can answer your questions...

Exactly what kind of vegetarian are you...

First off, if you're the type that doesn't eat red meat but does eat dairy, poultry and fish - no problem there - cottage cheese, eggwhites/egg beaters, chicken breasts, turkey breast, and just about every kind of fish is OK on BFL.

If you're lacto/ovo - then you can eat cottage cheese, eggwhites/egg beaters, and there are some meat substitutes out there that are really good - Boca Burgers are good - they make those granules you can use like ground beef as well as the patties. The "Garden Burger" is way too high in carbs to be considered a protein source. I was at the supermarket last year and tried something called "Veat" that was pretty tasty - high in protein, low in fat... I think their website is www.veat.com - check it out!

If you're a vegan...well, that's a toughie...

I would also suggest you visit the main message board at www.leanandstrong.com for suggestions - there are some vegetarian BFLers there that might be able to help you. Questions are answered pretty quickly there!

Keep in touch!

I'll post more later - time for me to eat!

MrsJim 04-25-2002 11:27 PM

I'm back!

Whew! It's been quiet here today. I know Susan's in court this week...hope you're reading right now - or get a chance to later! I KNOW there's no court on the weekends...so we'll hear from you for sure! :wave:

Today has actually been a super day. Been busy but felt 100% better than yesterday, no headache from my little visitor and I had a really good workout but best of all today I had the HUGE high carb day on my competition diet!!! Love it! Check out my breakfast (note to newbies - This is NOT in the BFL book - I'm on a competition diet right now - read the previous threads to find out more. I'm not planning to stay on it very long and will get back to BFL eating - looking forward to it actually!) from this morning: I had a cup of oatmeal (measured dry) that I nuked with 1 cup frozen blueberries, water, cinnamon and Splenda; plus 6 eggwhites; AND a Myoplex Lite...what a feast! I was so energetic today - more than usual, which I'm sure drove a few people around me nuts.

On the water displacement test - most folks at L&S seemed to think the first way I talked about (the one that came out as 1 cup) was better than the other way (which came to a bit over 1/2 cup). Hmm...

I'm going to get ready for bed now, but couldn't resist attaching this pic I took at the NorCal All-Arabian Horse Show last week of Jim and "Inspired", a gorgeous Arabian mare in Dee Dee's show string! Take care y'all!

MrsG 04-26-2002 10:56 AM

schedule/marathon training

Hi everyone!

I'm posting for the first time! You ladies are great inspiration!

I need some help composing a workout and eating schedule. My husband is in the broadcasting biz and works crazy hours, and gets home at 11:30 pm every night after the late news. I work a normal schedule, and have to get up at 7:30 am. As it is, we're only managing to get 7.5 hours of sleep in, if we're lucky, so working out in the morning isn't really a viable option.

I also train with a personal trainer two nights a week in the evenings.

What do you think about this for a meal and workout scheule?

8:00 am: Meal 1
10:30 am Meal 2
1:00 pm: Meal 3
4:00 pm: Meal 4
6:00-7:00 work out
8:30 Meal 5
10:30 Meal 6

My other question is a bit baffling. I'm a marathon runner, and I don't know how I can fit in my long, slow runs into the BFL program, which emphasizes the intense 20 minute cardo. When I'm in the middle of training for a marathon, I'm sometimes doing 4 hour training runs!

Any thoughts or other marathon runners out there?

Thank you!

semmens 04-26-2002 11:23 AM

Welcome, MrsG!

I'm afraid I'm not much help with the marathon question, since I totally detest running in any form ;) I'm a Precor elliptical girl myself, and finally noticed the Stepmill in the cardio room so I may give that a shot tomorrow if it isn't taken.

MrsJim mentioned the website www.leanandstrong.com in reference to a vegetarian situation; this might also be a good place for your question.

I'm fairly new, but I don't see a problem with your meal/workout schedule if that's how it can work for you. You might get different opinions on eating a bit sooner after your workout on weightlifting days.

Laura

MrsJim 04-26-2002 12:09 PM

Hey there MrsG!

I would DEFINITELY recommend checking out Lean & Strong.

In fact they have a special runner's board there called "And Miles to Go Before I Sleep" (MTBGIS) . You might want to post at L&S' main message board and they'll give you the link to the team board - bet you'll get TONS of support!

I don't see a prob with your schedule either. I'm a morning workout person, but the important thing is to eat clean and get that workout IN, wherever you can.

MrsG 04-26-2002 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info! :D

MrsG 04-26-2002 04:12 PM

superficial question

As summer approaches, it occurs to me that this might not be a bad place to ask this question!

I have extremely fair skin, and most sunless tanners look silly on me. I notice that in all of the "after" pictures, everyone is TANNER!

Is there a brand that bodybuilders rely on or recommend?

MrsJim 04-26-2002 06:34 PM

The secret is that when you lift weights your skin gets a shade darker...JUST KIDDING!!! :dizzy:

There are DOZENS of different self-tanners out there. Since everyone has different skin types, people have different reactions to different products.

Personally I use Banana Boat Self-Tanning Creme because it works (for me), it's cheap, and it's easy to find.

A GREAT website to check out for info is www.sunless.com. Reviews and how-to-apply tips abound there!

Take care!